How much time do you put into troubleshooting? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree36Likes

Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

a buddy asked me to look at a GFCI that wouldn't work. When I got there he had it pulled out the wall in the bathroom I saw it had a line and a load and was tripped. It wouldn't reset. I looked in the other bathroom which was the load side and there was nothing plugged in. I told him he probably needed a new GFCI. Well he bought one it didn't work I had to come back and then I pulled out the GFCI and realized the load wire was pigtailed in the back of the box and there was a fault on that load which had a camper plugged into it. So we unplugged it and it reset. I know if I would've done a little more investigating the first time then I would've found it but I was trying to keep it simple and fast and ended up becoming a parts changer. So how long do you guys put into troubleshooting before you make a call?
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzykidd View Post
a buddy asked me to look at a GFCI that wouldn't work. When I got there he had it pulled out the wall in the bathroom I saw it had a line and a load and was tripped. It wouldn't reset. I looked in the other bathroom which was the load side and there was nothing plugged in. I told him he probably needed a new GFCI. Well he bought one it didn't work I had to come back and then I pulled out the GFCI and realized the load wire was pigtailed in the back of the box and there was a fault on that load which had a camper plugged into it. So we unplugged it and it reset. I know if I would've done a little more investigating the first time then I would've found it but I was trying to keep it simple and fast and ended up becoming a parts changer. So how long do you guys put into troubleshooting before you make a call?
I take as long as needed..
But if it's when I'm at a friends house for a visit, I'll only take a few minutes and a quick look.. Unless she's a hottie....

And FWI, when ever someone asked what I do for a living, I tell them I'm an undertaker. I never get asked to just take a quick peek at thing.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,404

A GFCI is pretty cheap and easy to change, I wouldn't sweat it at all, we've all been there and done that ourselves. That was a cheap lesson you learned so feel thankful. Trust me you will remember this for a long time so what you do with the info is up to you, go be the best repairman you can be now.
Bird dog likes this.
2nd Mile Glen (08-19-2018), zoltan (08-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,272

Im industrial so there is no time limit.

There's also no get out of jail card or anyone further up the line to push the job off to.
Last thing im going to do is to start guessing as its going to get expensive and i hate to look stupid by suggesting we need to replace a part then having to admit that wasn't the problem.

In your case it would have been simple to drop the load side and seen if the gfci worked, At that point you can tell them you will fix it later.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

As long as it takes.

Sorry you were embarrassed at your buddy's house. Some lessons just have to be learned that way to stick.

Best of luck on the next one.
readydave8 and The_Modifier like this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
MTW

Rewards Points: 10,570

I consider myself an excellent troubleshooter which comes from my varied background in which I did mostly old work and almost no new construction. Doing old work forces you to become a very good electrical detective aka troubleshooter. You learn how things are done during different time periods and how particular wiring methods were installed (for instance - K&T frequently used shared neutrals among multiple circuits. Cut one of those neutrals and you have big problems on your hands.)

Anyway, point being - being a good troubleshooter only comes with hands on experience under guidance of experienced electricians. Knowing your theory also goes a long way too.
SummitElectric1 and gpop like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,352

As long as it takes to make a decision that doesn't come back to haunt me.

What kind of box was it that you didn't see the load side was pigtailed?

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
I take as long as needed..
But if it's when I'm at a friends house for a visit, I'll only take a few minutes and a quick look.. Unless she's a hottie....

And FWI, when ever someone asked what I do for a living, I tell them I'm an undertaker. I never get asked to just take a quick peek at thing.
Depending on the setting I either answered a 'boobologist' or a gynecologist.

Oddly enough I gave plenty of free exams.....
Wirenuting likes this.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Depending on the setting I either answered a 'boobologist' or a gynecologist.

Oddly enough I gave plenty of free exams.....
Cow and MTW like this.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Oh yeah I forgot for you I should have said "to females" just to remove any improper thoughts you may have had going on.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
As long as it takes to make a decision that doesn't come back to haunt me.

What kind of box was it that you didn't see the load side was pigtailed?
It was a normal blue device box. When I got there the way he had it pulled out I could see all 4 wires attached to the GFCI so honestly I didnt even try to look in the box.
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #12
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 888

If you haven't made mistakes, you aren't doing much either.
Cow, Switched and MTW like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
It was a normal blue device box. When I got there the way he had it pulled out I could see all 4 wires attached to the GFCI so honestly I didnt even try to look in the box.
I learned a long time ago to look into the box for a short caused by improper stripping.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 1,642

Well @gpop 's suggestion to test with the load wires off is obviously the way to go here. Easy for me to say now of course.

The thing to keep in mind, to keep egg off your face - before you give up, think of the possible causes and do what you can with the available time and tools and resources. Try to at least narrow it down.

Learning lots of ways to test various problems is very valuable, if you know enough tricks you can troubleshoot a lot with minimal equipment. Of course better still always keep the tools with you Many times it's good to test two ways, prove it two ways before you draw a conclusion.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 290
Default Cheap learning lesson

Wait till you work on drives, wrong decision can cost thousands and more thousands of lost time. Ask me how I know.
flyboy likes this.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 18

Its hard to feel satisfied until you see the "why". Unless you can find a definitive answer as to why it failed, I'm with the other guys in this post. As long as it takes
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
It was a normal blue device box.
Well, there's your trouble.
macmikeman likes this.
Stickshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 9,826

Problems always arise in troubleshooting when we don't follow a set of standards.

In good businesses they use checklist, so they can follow a specific procedure. This ensures they don't miss anything.

As a business owner or technician, you ought to develop a checklist or system you follow for any and all troubleshooting, as it is usually the simple thing you forget, that comes back to haunt you.

Step 1: Ask questions

Step 2: Ignore the fact that they said they tested anything

Step 3: Test everything starting from the beginning

Step 4: Etc....

I hate when I forget Step 2....
readydave8 and 460 Delta like this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #19
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,972

I remember thinking when I first turned out, "man, some of these service calls take forever!" "I must be doing something wrong?"

So I'd call the boss, he'd tell me he'd be tracking it down the same as I was, I just needed to stick with it and see the problem out to the end. After more time, I'd eventually get there.

Long story short, I finally realized some problems just take longer than you'd think. With experience, you get faster, and learn where to check first.

I do know, that after doing a little of this and a little of that for 14 years now, the ones I really banged my head against the wall trying to figure out, stay in your memory. You don't forget.

What's that saying about hearing hoofbeats in the distance? Think horses, not zebras. That means it's likely the most obvious problem, not the most obscure issue you can think of.

Also, listen to what customers say, but verify. Never take ANYTHING anyone tells you as the gospel without verifying yourself. I should repeat that again to illustrate my point. If you like snipe hunts, listen to customers without verifying, and chase ghosts based on assumptions. Been there, done that.

Won't(or will try not to) make that mistake again. This turned into a novel, so I'm done.
zac, readydave8, Switched and 1 others like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #20
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 4,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
Wait till you work on drives, wrong decision can cost thousands and more thousands of lost time. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?
just the cowboy and gpop like this.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote