How is work in Colorado - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stuiec
  • 1 Post By Vintage Sounds

Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 822
Default How is work in Colorado

Long story short, just lost everything we own and the house to fire, no insurance.
The wife wants to move to Colorado or Utah.
I am 58 years old with 40 years of industrial troubleshooting and repair experience. I am very good at what I do.

First what is required to work in a manufacturing plant in one of them states, I am a journeyman that has served an apprenticeship, (may not be able to prove it all papers burnt).
How is the work demand (yes I know age decimation)
Anyone work at a company that needs GOOD help.
Thanks
Harvey
A cowboy always gets back up after a fall and walks forward, and donít look back
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
cog

Rewards Points: 1,404

I'm sorry to hear of your setbacks, and have all the confidence in the world you'll land on your feet. I admire your outlook, and would help any way I can.
hardworkingstiff likes this.
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuiec For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (02-17-2016), Vintage Sounds (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,004

Wow that is brutal! Good luck to you!
hardworkingstiff likes this.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 30

Could possibly try indeed.com. I never actually use it to look and apply for jobs but I've used it to look around and they usually bring up quite a bit of jobs in the area you're looking for.
openmind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

Check out Craig's list / denver ( or what ever area you decide on )
Work out here is plentiful, not enough enough trained guys for the work. How's your construction work , a good journey can get $25-30 an hour.
FF301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,602

Work is fairly good in Utah if you are going to live in the major metropolitan area.

If you want to live in a more rural area it is really hit or miss. You will not get more than $30 an hour really any where you go in the state. Check to see if your state electrical license is reciprocal with Utah's. $110 for JW license.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
zap

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
Long story short, just lost everything we own and the house to fire, no insurance.
The wife wants to move to Colorado or Utah.
I am 58 years old with 40 years of industrial troubleshooting and repair experience. I am very good at what I do.

First what is required to work in a manufacturing plant in one of them states, I am a journeyman that has served an apprenticeship, (may not be able to prove it all papers burnt).
How is the work demand (yes I know age decimation)
Anyone work at a company that needs GOOD help.
Thanks
Harvey
A cowboy always gets back up after a fall and walks forward, and don’t look back
If you haven't ever been to idaho, you might check it out. The company I work for is always looking for good industrial guys. As far as wages any where from 20-35 depending on your skill set, its mostly merit shops here so a top hand can about write his own pay check. The cost of living is cheap 200k wlll get you new house in town with 1/2 acre lot and 2500sqft house or a older home in the country with a couple acres. Really though anywhere out west is awesome and booming.

I'm running a large job in SLC, Utah right now, and imo theres not freaking way I would ever live in Utah. Theres way way to much intermingling of church and state, the slc area is one giant arm pit, smog, crackheads, crappy drivers and too much religion for this country boy. I spent half my youth in logan and it was great back in the 80's and 90's, now its a mini SLC. I've worked in denver also and feel about the same about there. The rest of colorado and utah are pretty awesome/scenic, the towns of both torrey, ut and steamboat springs, co are great.
Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Woyoming, Montana, oregon all reciprocate. I think Utah has the easier test if they make you sit.

sucks about your loss, hope it works out for you.

Last edited by tates1882; 02-17-2016 at 10:12 PM.
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by tates1882 View Post
If you haven't ever been to idaho, you might check it out. The company I work for is always looking for good industrial guys. As far as wages any where from 20-35 depending on your skill set, its mostly merit shops here so a top hand can about write his own pay check. The cost of living is cheap 200k wlll get you new house in town with 1/2 acre lot and 2500sqft house or a older home in the country with a couple acres. Really though anywhere out west is awesome and booming.

I'm running a large job in SLC, Utah right now, and imo theres not freaking way I would ever live in Utah. Theres way way to much intermingling of church and state, the slc area is one giant arm pit, smog, crackheads, crappy drivers and too much religion for this country boy. I spent half my youth in logan and it was great back in the 80's and 90's, now its a mini SLC. I've worked in denver also and feel about the same about there. The rest of colorado and utah are pretty awesome/scenic, the towns of both torrey, ut and steamboat springs, co are great.
Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Woyoming, Montana, oregon all reciprocate. I think Utah has the easier test if they make you sit.

sucks about your loss, hope it works out for you.
What job are you running?
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
zap

Rewards Points: 1,086

A large alfalfa pressing facility
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote