HPS Core & Coil Ballast kit Wiring - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default HPS Core & Coil Ballast kit Wiring

Hi I'm new here, I am a Maintenance tech at an apartment community. I have been replacing some faulty Core & Coil Ballast kits and bulbs. I am working with an ADVANCE Core & Coil Ballast kit (71A8007-001 DB).

When I pulled the old ones out they weren't wired per the schematic.

The 2 commom leads off the transformer were wired to one side of the capacitor. The other side of the capacitor was wired to the lamp common and the common lead coming into the fixture. The hots were correct.

Is there something I'm missing? I read that the capacitor is optional for this kit also.

Ken
maintenanceManKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,342

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling an electrician when you don't know what you are doing.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

I'll get it figured out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceManKen View Post
Hi I'm new here, I am a Maintenance tech at an apartment community. I have been replacing some faulty Core & Coil Ballast kits and bulbs. I am working with an ADVANCE Core & Coil Ballast kit (71A8007-001 DB).

When I pulled the old ones out they weren't wired per the schematic.

The 2 commom leads off the transformer were wired to one side of the capacitor. The other side of the capacitor was wired to the lamp common and the common lead coming into the fixture. The hots were correct.

Is there something I'm missing? I read that the capacitor is optional for this kit also.

Ken

Hello Ken Welcome to the forum..

When you gut an HID fixture all you should have is a white and black to the socket, the ballast kit is already pre-wired so you only have to splice the socket and the feed, so there should be 2 wires marked common, one goes to the lamp the other goes to the neutral for 277 or 120, otherwise one of the hots for 208, 240 or 480 volts.

Then there should be a black that goes to the lamp, and a wire marked with the voltage that goes to the feed.

Change them as a kit, don't waste your time messing with starters and capacitors, just swap out the whole kit, you will be much better off.

Also on the ballast there will be an ANSI rating, make sure that the lamp has the same rating on them such as ANSI RATING S51 I think that's a 150 watt HPS lamp, Metal halide will be M59 for a mogal base 175 watt metal halide lamp, it must say the same thing on the ballast, otherwise the lamps will be trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the info Black Dog, the kits I have don't come pre-wired, I'll just go by the schematic to set them up. I was mainly confused about how I found the wires configured in the existing lamps, the last guy screwed up a lot of things !
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #6

Great job Black dog. Hope this guy doesn't get killed hooking up something he should not be doing.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #7

I know how to work safe.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceManKen View Post
Thanks for the info Black Dog, the kits I have don't come pre-wired, I'll just go by the schematic to set them up. I was mainly confused about how I found the wires configured in the existing lamps, the last guy screwed up a lot of things !
Well that will keep you busy, Send him a thank you card...

Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #9

Are you replacing them with HPS or PSMH?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #10

hps bulbs
Old 06-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Great job Black dog. Hope this guy doesn't get killed hooking up something he should not be doing.
I may be the rules in his state that allows him to do this work at the Complex he works at, so helping him out is not so bad IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Black Dog For This Useful Post:
Giorgio.g (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 374

I gotta go with "he is the site electrician" on this one. Not all maintenance men are specialized but they may be required to work as electricians as part of their employment. Would I hire them to come here and do it? Not likely, but he is in the industry like it or not. Just because he is a maintenance man does not mean he is not qualified or not smart enough as many would suggest and his question is interesting too. The last guy may have had a reason for not following the schematic and this guy is trying to figure out why. It was a good question because we all come across this garbage all the time. JMO
Hawkrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,627

Hawaii license's three or four levels of electricians. At the bottom of the rungs are maintenance electrical licensed electrician designation. No test to pass and reduced electrical training and experience required, repair only, no new work allowed, no running pipe and wire. Perfectly legal for them guys to be out there changing hps lamps and ballasts.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 526

Would you rather this guy get killed because you wouldn't help him? There is a difference in a DIY guy who knows literally nothing (though some of them are pretty bright too) and a maintenance guy who makes his living doing the odd electrical or plumbing job. And not every building owner can afford to have a dedicated plumber, electrician, carpenter, and HVAC guy on staff.

Get off your high horse.

I do suggest to the maintenance guy to know his/her skillset limitations. Take a class or get professional help if you are in over your head. But you shouldn't be with a simple ballast change.

Regardless how the fixture WAS wired, and assuming you bought the correct rebuild kit, always wire up the new kit by it's instructions. Don't improvise. The kit may be built slightly differently than the OEM stuff.

Mark
al_smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al_smelter For This Useful Post:
Giorgio.g (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 455

Seems to me that this site has turned into a DYI site and an advertising venue with being a forum as secondary.

Why are we catering to DYI and eroding our trade?
Nom Deplume is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nom Deplume For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom Deplume View Post
Seems to me that this site has turned into a DYI site and an advertising venue with being a forum as secondary.

Why are we catering to DYI and eroding our trade?
The OP is not DIY if he was I would not have helped, he is employed to do the work described in his post, unless it is illegal in the state of Wisconsin for him to do this work I do not see an issue here.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_smelter View Post
Would you rather this guy get killed because you wouldn't help him? There is a difference in a DIY guy who knows literally nothing (though some of them are pretty bright too) and a maintenance guy who makes his living doing the odd electrical or plumbing job. And not every building owner can afford to have a dedicated plumber, electrician, carpenter, and HVAC guy on staff.

Get off your high horse.

I do suggest to the maintenance guy to know his/her skillset limitations. Take a class or get professional help if you are in over your head. But you shouldn't be with a simple ballast change.

Regardless how the fixture WAS wired, and assuming you bought the correct rebuild kit, always wire up the new kit by it's instructions. Don't improvise. The kit may be built slightly differently than the OEM stuff.

Mark

I agree he will get more help here than DIY chatroom. At least safe help.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote