I hate blown in insulation - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 146
Default I hate blown in insulation

Doing some modifications in a bank,

Everything leads upto the ceiling, switches/lights etc. No problem I think as most of the ceiling is tiles.

Pop open a tile, 8" up is the old cement plaster and wire ceiling,
Oh joy,
Sawzall through that and, batt insulation, ok I can deal with that,
Start pulling that back and a little bit of blown in stuff starts leaking out (I'm basically 10' in the air against a wall in a very busy downtown bank).
Grab garbage bag, hold it upto the batt and pull some more, trying to do a "controlled" pour out of insulation.
Nope... didn't happen
Whole batt slide right out and is bigger than the bag, and it was like that scene from Star Treck (the trouble with tribbles) and it was like a snowbank of insulation came down on my head.
Oh did I mention I happen to be almost right in front of the bank Managers office.
I peer over and make eye contact with the bank manager (glass walls) as the last little bits of insulation are dribbling out on my head. And he just starts laughing his a$$ off.

Helpers and apprentices are now scrambling with garbage bags and vacuums to contain the HUGE pile of insulation.

This section was at the old outside wall so it was only about 2' to the old roof. We now have to cut through the old roof, then through a cinder block wall to get to the new part of the bank.

Apprentice says there is allot of blown in insulation in the new section.

I grabbed a broom and went to take a look.

Used a broom to try and touch bottom...
I hate blown in insulation-broom_handle.jpg

Nope, it's deeper than the broom...
I hate blown in insulation-broom_handle_2.jpg

And gets deeper (about 3') over where we gotta work.
I hate blown in insulation-very_deep.jpg

Lol the look on the apprentice and helpers faces when I say,
"go get the fall arrest harnesses, bunny suits and respirators"

I got a picture of them in there... it looks exactly like the last pic posted.

I was just waiting for the miss-step, rain of insulation and a surprised apprentice dangling from the ceiling.

Thank goodness he never missed a joist (but secretly I was kinda hoping for...) Lol
daks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 642

51360 (06-27-2015), Glock23gp (06-27-2015), midnight-theme (06-27-2015), The_Modifier (06-27-2015), Vintage Sounds (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
HVAC

Rewards Points: 74

I had to work on an air handler in an attic like that once. It took half an hour just to find the thing.
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,250

I had that happen in a house once. Putting in cans and they must have had two feet of fluffy white stuff up there. Anyway I get the cans in and get the shop vac out to vacuum up the piles of insulation, meanwhile the homeowner gets a cell call and steps outside. I am vacuuming away concentrating on getting every last bit completely oblivious to the fact that the plastic nut was not put back on the vac filter and IT FELL OFF. I was BLOWING the stuff all throughout the living room behind me, it was on top of the pictures, in the lamps, all over the shelves full of knick knacks, all over the sofa and chairs, just everywhere and the air looked like a snow storm.

Unbelievably the home owner was on the phone outside for at least 1/2 hour giving me time to clean it all up. Lesson: Never be in such a hurry not to put the nut on the filter, it WILL fall off.
Joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joefixit2 For This Useful Post:
daks (06-28-2015), shocksystems (06-27-2015)