I'm a PM now and miserable. Other trades to get into? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree25Likes

Old 09-01-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default I'm a PM now and miserable. Other trades to get into?

History: Floridian with 6 years experience and 4th year apprentice
Was a foreman for a year and then 4 months ago got ""promoted"" to commercial estimator/project manager.

So my original goals were to become a lineman here when I first got interested in doing electrical work, but because I had a record from when I was younger, not even the IBEW would take me in.

Long story short now ive moved into the office and I'm absolutely miserable. I hate managing people. I got salaried but with the hours I'm working I am making less than I would be out in the field. Maybe I'm just completely overwhelmed with it being new to me but I really dont think its my calling.

I am curious what other opportunities in other professions do sparkys get into that want out? I'm 30 well ready to take the pay cut that Ill inevitably have to get to change.

Ive thought about becoming an private home inspector (or gov possibly)
Or maybe get into fire alarm or something?

I really appreciate all the suggestions
NoMoreMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,560

Everyone gets promoted to their level of incompetence, and you reached that level. I would suggest you go back to being an electrician.
Wirenuting, 99cents and Bird dog like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
NoMoreMC (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 68

Well there's the sales counter with your favourite wholesaler.. Eventually you would want to become a sales manager and the problem begins again.

Home depot? Yeah it looks like it sucks but them old farts look happy.

Might be some openings in codes and compliance consulting.. But better off to try inspector type positions though.

Service calls and stuff like that in the trade.. Hot tub repair? Camera and internet and such maybe?

I'm watching to see what you come up with but I can't afford a drop in income so I'm staying on the tools.
FishinElectrcian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FishinElectrcian For This Useful Post:
NoMoreMC (09-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,060

Hurricane preparedness consultant.

They probably do better than snow shovel salesmen down by you.
NoMoreMC likes this.
NoMoreMC (09-01-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,130

If the hurricane is as bad as the news makes it out to be, home generator sales and install will spike for a while. That could be a direction to pursue. After the trunk slammers have left fixing storm damaged homes, you can also unfix the fixes.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,384

Suicide is always an option.
TheLivingBubba likes this.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
That's not funny. Take it from me, I know:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
Hax upset him. He likely committed suicide at Hax's urging.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,384

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
That's not funny. Take it from me, I know:
You're a monster.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 180

Think about what parts of the trade you did like, finding a niche like security or fire alarm helps. I do generators and that's my niche. Learning gas piping too. Find some way to make yourself happy soon or its going to be a long haul. Nothing wrong with making a change, but do it soon.
micromind, Bird dog and NoMoreMC like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMC View Post
History: Floridian with 6 years experience and 4th year apprentice
Was a foreman for a year and then 4 months ago got ""promoted"" to commercial estimator/project manager.

So my original goals were to become a lineman here when I first got interested in doing electrical work, but because I had a record from when I was younger, not even the IBEW would take me in.

Long story short now ive moved into the office and I'm absolutely miserable. I hate managing people. I got salaried but with the hours I'm working I am making less than I would be out in the field. Maybe I'm just completely overwhelmed with it being new to me but I really dont think its my calling.

I am curious what other opportunities in other professions do sparkys get into that want out? I'm 30 well ready to take the pay cut that Ill inevitably have to get to change.

Ive thought about becoming an private home inspector (or gov possibly)
Or maybe get into fire alarm or something?

I really appreciate all the suggestions
You have been rushed if you were a foreman as a third year and then moved into project management as a fourth year.

Now it sounds like you’re kind of bitter about the whole experience and want to just walk away and do something else. I don’t know how changing trades will make a difference because you could find yourself in the same spot in another four years except you’re a plumber.
splatz, DashDingo and NoMoreMC like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
Can't Remember

Agreed, that position won’t be any less stressful with a different trade. Maybe a switch to the service side of things might help. Some guys like it, others prefer construction. Whatever makes you happier.
micromind and NoMoreMC like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
NoMoreMC (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

get a job with an hvac contractor. get licensed, run your own business. make money. you will never be out of work in Florida. and if you are (temporarily), go fishing.

fact is, managing people often sucks. Even if everyone you work with or that works for you is grade A, there will still be times that is sucks. It is life though. Dirty diapers, picking up dog poop, cleaning up vomit - all part of life as well. You just gotta deal with it, and develop ways to deal with it.
NoMoreMC likes this.

Last edited by wildleg; 09-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildleg For This Useful Post:
NoMoreMC (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,718

Become a dry waller, those guys never seem to care about anything.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks everyone except those suggesting I kill myself.

Meeting a quota of 2 million in profit a year is overwhelming while having the 3rd choice hand-me-down foreman to run these projects. I also don't get to choose their rates so even if I did get a heavy hitter I couldn't afford him. I'm bidding 1-2 million dollar renovations and ground up warehouse centers but got handed a team of foreman with residential experience. I don't mind running a team but I have no control over who I have running these projects.

I'm not quitting because there is a lot of potential money in this, I just am just making a back up plan because that's smart to do. I haven't been stuck trying to find work through a recession but the possibility is real.

I can handle the pay cut for a bit because my fiance just started making more than me and we are really frugal with our finances.

Finding a niche is what I meant overall. Industrial controls is maybe something Ill look into as well. Even high rise building "engineers" make twice what I do and have twice the benefits.

I'm going to stick with this for as long as I can until I can put the few years experience on my resume, or until one of my projects goes south.
NoMoreMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
Can't Remember

Get to know people in the business, supply house sales guys, guys at the counter, other owners. Go to supply house events, their golf and fishing trips. You'd be surprised at what you can get meeting people there. Has helped me out. Start doing it now and its easier before you have a family if you choose to. I'm about the worlds worst golfer, but I enjoy it. Going on one of these gigs Friday. People become very important in any career as time goes on.
NoMoreMC likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
NoMoreMC (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
You have been rushed if you were a foreman as a third year and then moved into project management as a fourth year.

Now it sounds like you’re kind of bitter about the whole experience and want to just walk away and do something else. I don’t know how changing trades will make a difference because you could find yourself in the same spot in another four years except you’re a plumber.
Yes...this^^^

You have been rushed into a position usually held by seasoned Master electricians who chose to go into the office. Go back to the field until you gain more experience, then go to the office before your body can't handle climbing ladders and crawling in attics.
I spent 2/3 of my career as a Chief Estimator with some PM along the way.
BTW...I hated PM, but loved estimating. Either position can pay six figures if you are experienced and really good....it did for me.
telsa and splatz like this.
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 930

Quote:
Meeting a quota of 2 million in profit a year is overwhelming
That is a ridiculous quota....that means you would have to bid AND WIN $20 million of work based on a 10% profit (which is very unlikely), not to mention you would have to bid $200 million based on getting award 10% of jobs you bid (which is the norm).
You can't do that just being an estimator, let alone estimating/PM
HackWork, telsa and splatz like this.
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdslotz For This Useful Post:
HackWork (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
That is a ridiculous quota....that means you would have to bid AND WIN $20 million of work based on a 10% profit (which is very unlikely), not to mention you would have to bid $200 million based on getting award 10% of jobs you bid (which is the norm).
You can't do that just being an estimator, let alone estimating/PM
Oh, stop. I made $3 mil in profit last week. By Wednesday morning.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Oh, stop. I made $3 mil in profit last week. By Wednesday morning.

Pffft. Amateur!

JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 7,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
This is probably the only time I will agree with Hacky. That's nothing to joke about. I'll spare you the lecture, but, please reconsider that form of "humor". Thanks.

Tags
miserable, new career