Infrared temp sensors - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Default Infrared temp sensors

Can anyone recommend a great infrared temp sensor? I am reading shredded tire that also will have tire wire in it. I know the 2 materials are pretty far apart on the emissivity chart
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,032

Is the wire dull or shinny after it has been shredded
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

The shredded tire wire is fairly shiny. It comes out mixed with fiber and rubber. The temp circuit monitors the rubber and the plc turns the water on to regulate the temps. So add water to the mixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #4

There are a couple issues that I haven't been able to adjust out.
#1 I occasionally get a momentary signal overload which I believe is a more concentrated ball of the tire wire which has clumped together. I put a 2 second delay in the plc which has taken care of this... Mostly
#2 I have a constant +-15° variance in read temps. I need a little closer to +-5°. The target spot at the distance they are mounted is 4". This is after I adjusted the filter setting in the controller/panel meter.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,032

Does the accuracy improve if the lens is cleaned. I have seen 2 of these systems removed due to moisture on the lens
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

That is a good question. I actually have 2 sensors installed about an 1 1/2" apart. They are both very new. Even so, the dusty environment is a concern so they are cleaned regularly. The 1st sensor is tied into the plc as described & the 2nd sensor is interlocked through aux contacts to shut down the infeed conveyor at 1 setpoint & turn on 'flood' at the 2nd setpoint. This is our "backup/failsafe sensor"

The 2 sensors together have the safe accuracy and have also been +- 10° of each other.

The questions you are asking are definitely giving me hope
Old 10-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Are there self cleaning models available, much like the self cleaning pH probes?
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

I have seen housings designed with an air purge on them.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Yeah, my concern at this point is the supervision of the failsafe sensor that turns on flood coolant. It appears that it has none. Is there a fire system on this shredder, besides?
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #10

Yes. There is also a separate fire suppression system on each shredder.

What I'm hoping for is a recommendation for an accurate IR sensor. I have omega, have heard similar reports about 'banner'. In the past have used exergen with an isolated transmitter, but I liked the idea of a analog cable that went straight from the sensor to the controller