Electrician Talk banner

Inspector woes

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine, no really it wasn't me, just did a dinky job. A guy he works with replaced the liner in his above ground pool. My buddy said while you're at it check the bonding. There were issues with it I guess so my buddy bonded it properly.

The homeowner got a building permit for the liner change. Sounds asinine to me but the building dept said he had too. So my buddy goes to get elect permit for the bonding he did. The electrical inspector wouldn't issue the permit saying the pool has to be wired up to 2011 NEC. he told the inspector the pool was existing, all he did was bond it, that's all he was hired to do, and that's all he's getting a permit and inspection for. The inspector wouldn't issue the permit.

These are the things that frustrate me to the point of rage. Also this is why permits are sometimes "optional". :whistling2:

#2 ·
Gee i wonder what town that is...:no:

Thats a violation of rule #3 by the Electrical inspector..

2011 Massachusetts Electrical code amendments

Rule 3. Additions or modifications to an existing installation shall be made in accordance with this Code without bringing the re-maining part of the installation into compliance with the requirements of this Code. The installation shall not create a violation of this Code, nor shall it in-crease the magnitude of an existing vi-olation.

#5 ·
electricmanscott said:
A buddy of mine, no really it wasn't me, just did a dinky job. A guy he works with replaced the liner in his above ground pool. My buddy said while you're at it check the bonding. There were issues with it I guess so my buddy bonded it properly.

The homeowner got a building permit for the liner change. Sounds asinine to me but the building dept said he had too. So my buddy goes to get elect permit for the bonding he did. The electrical inspector wouldn't issue the permit saying the pool has to be wired up to 2011 NEC. he told the inspector the pool was existing, all he did was bond it, that's all he was hired to do, and that's all he's getting a permit and inspection for. The inspector wouldn't issue the permit.

These are the things that frustrate me to the point of rage. Also this is why permits are sometimes "optional". :whistling2:
Wow!! That's probably the worst "inspector story" I have seen, or herd about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.