Installation for masonry driveway piers. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 1 Post By Cow
  • 2 Post By Kaffeene

Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
EC & CI

Rewards Points: 630
Default Installation for masonry driveway piers.

I am installing sconce lights and receptacle outlets on a pair of 6' tall driveway piers.
They are constructed of masonry block and will be finished with 1" stone veneer.
The pier blocking will be finished, but the stone will not be installed.
I am going to use either liquid tight conduit or just UF cable to each box fished in from an opening at the base of the pier.

I'm going to use an Arlington InBox for the receptacle, but what are the best boxes to use for a side mount sconce light in block?

I know I could use a 1gang mason box w/ 6/32, but I don't know the weight of the light.
Are round mason boxes readily available or do they make a pancake box that is rated for use in mortar? Then I just mount the pancake to the surface.

Also what are good ways to secure the box in the block once I cut the block out? Just use mortar or are there easier adhesives to use for boxes in block?
Kaffeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Outdoor fixtures and pancake boxes don't work well together.
glen1971 likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,600

I don't like UF, you can't replace it when it goes bad. And it always goes bad, it's just a matter of when.

I would stub 3/4 pvc into the block and use either a SG deep masonry box or a 4 sq deep with a mud ring. The last CMU block building I did was a gym and 4 sq deeps with 1.5" mud rings worked perfectly. Get your grounding pigtail installed first off, then wrap everything with duct tape to keep the concrete slurry from getting in. Tie wire through the 6-32 device holes to a scrap piece of conduit to hold the box flush to the outside. Works well.

Depending on block thickness, you can add extensions to the mud rings if you need more depth.
telsa likes this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (10-13-2017), Moonshot180 (10-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,002

I always preferred masonry boxes begause the extra depth square edges held them in place well.

I hate UF for underground or in solid gouted situations but inside an open pier would be fine.

Quote:
Outdoor fixtures and pancake boxes don't work well together.
Dpends on the canopy and mounting bracket style. A pancake could actually make it very simple.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,074

In block or brick?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I don't like UF, you can't replace it when it goes bad. And it always goes bad, it's just a matter of when.

I would stub 3/4 pvc into the block and use either a SG deep masonry box or a 4 sq deep with a mud ring. The last CMU block building I did was a gym and 4 sq deeps with 1.5" mud rings worked perfectly. Get your grounding pigtail installed first off, then wrap everything with duct tape to keep the concrete slurry from getting in. Tie wire through the 6-32 device holes to a scrap piece of conduit to hold the box flush to the outside. Works well.

Depending on block thickness, you can add extensions to the mud rings if you need more depth.
This ^^^^^^^^^^
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
EC & CI

I never run UF out to something, I only use it once I'm there if needed. I always run PVC to everything outdoors.
I'm running PVC 250' to these driveway piers. They are constructed of concrete block.

I am putting a 6x6x4 pvc box at the base of the pier and coming out twice with liquid tight to the light and a GFCI outlet box. Then out of the PVC box again to the other pier on the other side of the driveway.

I was only thinking of maybe coming out of the 6x6 pvc box with UF instead of liquid tight if it was too much of a pain getting liquid tight into the pier.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
EC & CI

I just found this by Arlington. It looks like one of the only mounting blocks they make that will accommodate stone or brick.
If I can find this product then I can cut a hole in the block, mount it, adjust the depth to the stone and the masons can install stone behind the plate. Customer can have the plate painted to match the stone.

http://www.aimedia.co/media/spec-sheets/8141ALP.pdf
frenchelectrican and mpoulton like this.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,600

That's bad @ss.

Arlington makes some good stuff!!
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
EC & CI

Actually I called Arlington and this is an old product, but they still have some left.
I'm trying to figure out whether to use this or have the masons install a matching colored cement mounting block if they can find one.