Isolation Transformers/ Auto-Transformers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 2 Post By brian john
  • 2 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By Cl906um
  • 1 Post By Frank Mc
  • 1 Post By inetdog

Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Default Isolation Transformers/ Auto-Transformers

Hey everybody, I had an interesting discussion about transformers over the weekend. Particularly the difference between Auto-Transformers and Isolation Transformers. I realize Isolation Transformers have no electrical connection between the primary and secondary windings, and are also bigger in size, but what other characteristics make it easy to identify an isolation transformer over an auto-transformer.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

I'd look at the diagram on the nameplate first. Other info on the nameplate
would also give it away.
Wondering if I missed the point of the question.............
P&L
circuitman1 and DerekS like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25,876

The connection diagram ?
circuitman1 and DerekS like this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,580

Most to Autotransformers are isolation transformers, just the connection is such that the secondary is connected to the primary and is used to boost (increaser) or buck (decrease) voltage typically in small steps. 120 to 24 isolation can be buck or boost depending as noted on the connections made in the field.

Boosting or bucking from 120 to 277 or 208 to 480 would require additional steel and copper or aluminum and therefore is not practical, as there is little to know cost savings,
micromind and DerekS like this.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,206

Isolation transformer for surgery that monitor loss to ground or any loss for that matter?
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,366

with an ohm meter you test for any continuity between promary and secondary windings, with isolation there should be none, but with auto-trasfomer there will be.
in other words auto = no isolation.
splatz and DerekS like this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
DerekS (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cl906um View Post
Isolation transformer for surgery that monitor loss to ground or any loss for that matter?
While you are correct the question is broader than just an ungrounded isolation transformer used in operating rooms.
DerekS likes this.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
with an ohm meter you test for any continuity between promary and secondary windings, with isolation there should be none, but with auto-trasfomer there will be.
in other words auto = no isolation.
Yes but I can take an isolation and make it a Auto transformer. .
Old 12-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
While you are correct the question is broader than just an ungrounded isolation transformer used in operating rooms.
Was just wondering where his question was derived from. Kinda wondering why so vague.just thought I would put out one of its benefits used in the field.
brian john likes this.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 860

Not sure if i got this right , but i recall that an isolation transformer has a physical mechanical barrier between primary and secondary...??

Frank
DerekS likes this.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mc View Post
Not sure if i got this right , but i recall that an isolation transformer has a physical mechanical barrier between primary and secondary...??

Frank
That would be a "high isolation" transformer. Typically including a grounded electrostatic shield between the windings. Minimizes capacitive coupling between windings but does nothing do anything for magnetic coupling (Duh!)
To get rid of differential mode noise you would have to add tuned filtering.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Frank Mc likes this.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote