Jig for Testing Equipment - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 876
Default Jig for Testing Equipment

I looked at a job that the customer wants a way to plug in a number of pieces of equipment to test them to see if they are operational. They want to be able to have single phase and 3 power available on their testing station.
What they would like is some type of box or panel large enough to accommodate several receptacle configurations, both single and 3. They also want this to be portable or a way to disconnect it and move it when not in use.

Basically they want a cord & plug that would supply 3 power to the box and distribute the power to each receptacle according to the receptacle requirements, some single and some 3.
They will only be using one receptacle at a time. The reason they want this is they buy used equipment and need to verify that it works before reselling it.

Is there a compliant way to do this?
How would you know how to fuse this not knowing the loads that will be plugged in?
The feed to this would have to come from the overhead bus. So I would need to use the correct size fuses in the bus disconnect. Would the portable box/panel also need OCPD?
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

I'd mount a small 3 phase panelboard to a piece of plywood. Then nipple out of the panel into a bunch of 4 square boxes with all the different receps in them.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I'd mount a small 3 phase panelboard to a piece of plywood. Then nipple out of the panel into a bunch of 4 square boxes with all the different receps in them.
Just use either 3 or single breakers, 15 or 20A?
They said they weren't going to run the equipment very long, just to make sure it functions.

What about feeding the panel? Maybe an inlet on the panel and matching plug on the feed cord?
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

An inlet would work. I might also just use a cord of the proper length ran right into the panel using a cord grip with integral strain relief. If the cord is to long or to heavy to move with the panel/plywood, I'd consider just making a short pigtail out of the panel with a cord end on it. Then plug a longer separate extension cord into it you would use to reach the buss duct.

Then I would fill the panel with 1, 2, or 3 pole breakers, whatever it took to feed each receptacle.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 194

We have jackson box's over here which are basically that. Top notch quality too.

http://jackson.co.nz/product/lifeguard-7/
Nuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,522

We had a cart with a panel on it. It was cord connected for shop,or field work with different receptacles along the sides..
Most of our systems are 120/208 so it was easy.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 215

i made something similar at my job to test my equipment after a big repair

we got like 3 panel, a 600v 3ph , 208 3ph , and one 120/208

we made receptacle of all power iin a wall with a bunch of twist lock plug and all type to be able to connect all of them.
martindag is offline   Reply With Quote