Just bought a used contractors portable AND..... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmxtothemax
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Just bought a used contractors portable AND.....

Hello I'm brand new to register, however I've been a creeper for quite awhile.

Anyway I need some advice. I've done basic hookups before but nothing like this. I bought a big portable from a contractor that was finishing up a new subdivision and didn't want to bother with the move so he said 500 bucks and i pay for the move. It has a 200amp panel and I seen everything works .

It's actually pretty nice and will be a sweet screw around shed to have. I think it's 15x40 . Anyways I have a service panel about 450 feet away. I have done the math and seen that i could get 45 amps with 5% loss with a #2 aluminum wire and I feel that will be enough for lights and small things.

My service panel is 200 amp and the panel in the portable is 200amp. Can I hook up the 200amp panel in the portable to a 50amp circuit breaker on the main and call it a day? Or must I get a smaller panel for the portable like a 50 amp panel and rework the lights and base board heaters. I only want to know because this already all works and id love To just plug and play.

If I cannot do this can someone throw me a bone and tell me what I would need to safely bring 45 amps into my new shed ? It seems like it would be just like hooking up an RV to a power supply.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,378

Change the breaker in your portable panel,
Take out the 200A breaker and instal a 50A.
Assuming that the 50A fits the bus.
joebanana likes this.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,051

What DMX said. You could always backfeed a 50a. on the bus if the main doesn't work out. (if you can secure it) I would also consider running the feed on poles. Unless you like digging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,796

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com.
However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread