Just got hired through my local ibew - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking Just got hired through my local ibew

Got hired as a construction wireman and didn't really get any info on what kind of tools I should show up with the first day. If anyone has any ideas on what tools and what name brands that are going to last, that'd be great thanks!
stoker29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Kleins is one that I prefer.

Linemans pliers
Diagonal cutter - 9"
Two sizes of straight blade screwdrivers - 3/8 and 1/4
Two sizes of Phillips - #1 and #2
Hacksaw - don't go cheap
Hammer - love the Kleins
25 foot tape or 6 foot wooden folding ruler (my preference for using when conduit bending)
Wire Stippers - love the GB that they have at either Lowes or HD - has built in voltage detector
Hold on meter until talking to guys on job and seeing what you might like - don't go for cheapo

Start there and see what the guys are using

Good Luck!
bjp_ne_elec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjp_ne_elec For This Useful Post:
stoker29 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134

Rewards Points: 97

I would think the local would give you a tool list. Do you have an orientation with the local before you go to work? You should receive a tool list then. Otherwise, talk to your future employer. Show some initiative. Best of luck on your future endeavors.
stoker29 (05-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker29 View Post
Got hired as a construction wireman and didn't really get any info on what kind of tools I should show up with the first day. If anyone has any ideas on what tools and what name brands that are going to last, that'd be great thanks!
Congratulations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
stoker29 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugz134 View Post
I would think the local would give you a tool list. Do you have an orientation with the local before you go to work? You should receive a tool list then. Otherwise, talk to your future employer. Show some initiative. Best of luck on your future endeavors.
I start Tuesday on the job and the guy I talked to at the local said we would have orientation on wed I just wanted to show initiative and not show up empty handed on the first day
stoker29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134

Rewards Points: 97

If that is the case, talk to the local. Our local has a tool list for journeymen. I have no experience with the ce/cw program here, but I am sure there is a tool list for them too. Best of luck. Try to turn this ce job into an apprenticeship. Apply as soon as you can. You won't be sorry.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Home depot has a sale right now (here anyway) lineman pliers, side cutters, 2 screwdrivers, a ticker, and strippers for 50 bucks... dunno what your budget is, but it's a good place to start

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk
dcb_minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb_minded View Post
Home depot has a sale right now (here anyway) lineman pliers, side cutters, 2 screwdrivers, a ticker, and strippers for 50 bucks... dunno what your budget is, but it's a good place to start

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk
Oh for chrissakes, those tools are garbage!

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote