Just move the overhead service drop. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By Kaffeene
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 7 Post By Semi-Ret Electrician
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 5 Post By TRurak
  • 3 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By Buzz1067
  • 1 Post By Jhellwig
  • 1 Post By Kaffeene
  • 1 Post By nrp3

Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
EC & CI

Rewards Points: 630
Default Just move the overhead service drop.

So I went to look at a job for moving a service drop and the possibility to make it an underground. There is an in-ground pool being installed and the lines are currently directly overhead of the future pool location.
So I'm thinking that it would be best to just put it underground and avoid the pool area.

First issue, there is a large new patio directly over the area where I would put the conduit.

Second issue, Here is the overhead service drop, that's where it attaches to the structure... wait, what, wheres the meter... or even a disconnect?
The line attaches to the house, routes around a corner 2 stories up and disappears through the interior of the back of the house somewhere on the 2nd floor. No sign of it after that.

The panel, or panels (5 of them) are in the middle of the finished basement about 50ft from the outside wall where the overhead attaches. Looks like one 200A main and 4 sub-panels all in a row crammed into a small area behind a finished wall that was built around them with small cabinet doors in front of each panel to access the breakers, but barely enough room to even remove the panel covers.

But wait I still haven't found the meter. Cleaning lady shows me a small cabinet in the kitchen pantry on an inside wall. "Isn't this the meter", she asks. No No that can't be it, I'm thinking. Sure as s**t it was the meter crammed into a small cabinet and caked with so much yellow expanding foam you can't even get the cover off of it.

It appears to me, and I have no idea how this passed an inspection, but it looks like the service hit the side of the house, traveled about 35-40ft. horizontally across the back of the house then down 15-20ft to a meter. Then a large addition was put on the back of house covering up the approx. 50ft. of non-fused service wire that's now burred in the house somewhere and leaving the meter in it's original location which ended up being the new kitchen pantry.
readydave8 and circuitman1 like this.

Last edited by Kaffeene; 12-17-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Kaffeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Any feeling of the owners desire/ability to pay a big bill?
P&L
readydave8 and circuitman1 like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 486

before you run away from that job, be sure to wipe you fingerprints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
Majewski (12-17-2016), MechanicalDVR (12-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
EC & CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
Any feeling of the owners desire/ability to pay a big bill?
P&L
Not sure, but it will be a large cost.
Basically I'm going to see if the utility company can install another pole with a straight shot underground to the back corner of the house.
Have the landscape company dig out a section of the new patio and replace later.
Then upgrade them to a 300A with a meter, disco & trough on the exterior.
Cut a huge chase out of the basement ceiling drywall across most of the basement to the panel area.
Cut out a chunk of the wall where the panels are now and re-feed the one existing panel and feed a new second panel which will replace one of the existing subs.
Then get a carpenter and drywall contractor to fix the basement.

Then they can proceed to build the pool and landscape.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,661

Why not bury it under the pool? I'm just asking because nobody builds giant in ground ice cubes around here.
Majewski likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 52

Sounds like one of those "do i really want this one" kind of jobs
TRurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,394

So the job isn't a straitforward service replacement, you also need to eliminate a pre-existing abortion of an installation. Think outdoor metermain with room to feed an outdoor pool panel.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffeene View Post
So I went to look at a job for moving a service drop and the possibility to make it an underground. There is an in-ground pool being installed and the lines are currently directly overhead of the future pool location.
So I'm thinking that it would be best to just put it underground and avoid the pool area.

First issue, there is a large new patio directly over the area where I would put the conduit.

Second issue, Here is the overhead service drop, that's where it attaches to the structure... wait, what, wheres the meter... or even a disconnect?
The line attaches to the house, routes around a corner 2 stories up and disappears through the interior of the back of the house somewhere on the 2nd floor. No sign of it after that.

The panel, or panels (5 of them) are in the middle of the finished basement about 50ft from the outside wall where the overhead attaches. Looks like one 200A main and 4 sub-panels all in a row crammed into a small area behind a finished wall that was built around them with small cabinet doors in front of each panel to access the breakers, but barely enough room to even remove the panel covers.

But wait I still haven't found the meter. Cleaning lady shows me a small cabinet in the kitchen pantry on an inside wall. "Isn't this the meter", she asks. No No that can't be it, I'm thinking. Sure as s**t it was the meter crammed into a small cabinet and caked with so much yellow expanding foam you can't even get the cover off of it.

It appears to me, and I have no idea how this passed an inspection, but it looks like the service hit the side of the house, traveled about 35-40ft. horizontally across the back of the house then down 15-20ft to a meter. Then a large addition was put on the back of house covering up the approx. 50ft. of non-fused service wire that's now burred in the house somewhere and leaving the meter in it's original location which ended up being the new kitchen pantry.
If they can afford a pool in New Jersey, they can afford you.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,276

Quote:
Not sure, but it will be a large cost.
Basically I'm going to see if the utility company can install another pole with a straight shot underground to the back corner of the house.
Have the landscape company dig out a section of the new patio and replace later.
Then upgrade them to a 300A with a meter, disco & trough on the exterior.
Cut a huge chase out of the basement ceiling drywall across most of the basement to the panel area.
Cut out a chunk of the wall where the panels are now and re-feed the one existing panel and feed a new second panel which will replace one of the existing subs.
Then get a carpenter and drywall contractor to fix the basement.

Then they can proceed to build the pool and landscape.
I don't really understand the 300 amp service since a 400 is the same cost but so be it. Hire the carpenter or drywaller but stay away from the landscaper. You can cut the drywall yourself.
Honestly looks like a nice "little" $15K job with out the pool included. Drywall is cheap. Hire a cleaning crew for $300 and get this thing done.
99cents likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,661

Last edited by 99cents; 12-17-2016 at 03:18 PM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
One would think but there are more huge houses without furniture or even window treatments in NJ than any other state I've ever been in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
EC & CI

Well the landscape company is who I'm providing the estimate to. I do regular work for them. They are a pretty big company that do some massive jobs.
They dig all my trenches too.

300A or 400A, I haven't really figured that out yet.

I won't be removing the old service wire inside because it can't be accessed.
I'll just get rid of the meter in the pantry.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #13
EC & CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
The location of the pool was selected because it overlooks NYC skyline.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 30

May want to notify the electric company of the situation. They may force the owner to have it moved outside so it can be serviced by technician. Then money is no object, they have to get it done.
telsa likes this.
Buzz1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 30

Electric company has to be able to pull meter when working on service for back feed purposes
Buzz1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #16
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

How was the meter being read?

I would tell them I am not touching that old mess and if you want me to do any work to it it will be my way.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #17
EC & CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhellwig View Post
How was the meter being read?

I would tell them I am not touching that old mess and if you want me to do any work to it it will be my way.
I'm not leaving anything existing, except I would leave the 3 or 4 existing panels. I would redo everything from the utility pole to the panel. New meter and disconnect outside.

We'll see if they go for the big price tag on this job. If I'm going to involve myself in the clean up then I'll make it worth my time.
Jhellwig likes this.

Last edited by Kaffeene; 12-17-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,206

Quote:
Well the landscape company is who I'm providing the estimate to. I do regular work for them. They are a pretty big company that do some massive jobs.
They dig all my trenches too.

300A or 400A, I haven't really figured that out yet.

I won't be removing the old service wire inside because it can't be accessed.
I'll just get rid of the meter in the pantry.
320 meter, or 400 ct price for parts differ, similar, and you can utilize 320 at a higher percentage rating.

Last edited by Cl906um; 12-18-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 948

A resi 400 here typically is a 320 without cts. I have a 400 and 600 amp service that I have worked on with cts, but not too common.
sbrn33 likes this.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote