Knee pads - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 PM  
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75
Default Knee pads

I've gone a long time without using knee pads, but that time is over. I need a good pair, but there are many designs. I see floor guys using a design that only attaches to the lower leg and floats at the top, then I see other guys using the type that attaches at both the top and bottom. I need to be able to walk, kneel, and sometimes crawl with them on.

Anyone have any experience with knee pads and have a certain type that they would recommend? Something I could get at Lowes or Home Depot would be best, if possible.
MTorres likes this.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 PM  
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540

oh that's a loaded question.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM  
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
oh that's a loaded question.
Yeah, I figured I'd get a little ribbing, but I honestly need the knee pads and would rather not go thru 2-3 pairs before finding the type that works the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,198

Okay, sorry about that. What in the world do you guys do these that requires knee pads? I worked 15 years in construction and never needed them.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 PM  
not THAT old!

Rewards Points: 250

The day will come when you realise, YOU SHOULD HAVE WORN KNEEPADS.
MTorres likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Al For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (07-25-2012)
Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
Seriously, you drive me nuts sometimes, why do you always act so naive? Who in their right mind couldn't figure out why an electrician would need kneepads? Everything from trimming out receptacles to crawling around attics involves kneeling. In my particular instance, I will be doing work under a low area in which I will have to crawl on gravel. Small rocks pushing into my knees does not sound fun, does it?
Believe me I am not naive and I guess I can see why you need them if you do it that way. I just carried a five gallon bucket with me and I don't remember ever crawling through rocks. I sometimes wish I had knee pads when doing personal work like laying tile, otherwise no.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,006

Wouldn't it be easierto jusk ASK the boss for a raise?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,000

I use AWP I got at Lowes. I like them okay.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM  
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco View Post
I use AWP I got at Lowes. I like them okay.
Great, ONE on topic reply and the guy just "likes them okay">
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've been wearing kneed pads for a while, and I catch jokes no matter what.

However, I've seen how some of these old guys move and I have no interest in being as blind, as deaf, and as sore as they are, (though my back has already begun to act up). I can't tell you how many times I've spent working a few inches above the floor, or crawling up upon duct work and chiller pipes. Those are the times having knee pads are great. Even running pipe I'll take a knee to grab the EMT instead of bending over to lift at the expense of my back.

I simply bought the cushions incased in nylon/polyester. They're CLC's rebranded as Home Depot's Husky. I don't like the "fancy" ones that have hard flat surfaces because they kinda shift so that the hard flat surface is always on the ground sometimes twisting them in weird ways. It's hard to explain.

Just think, softer, and simpler is better.
MTorres likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frasbee For This Useful Post:
slickvic277 (05-15-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

Duluth Trading Company has work pants with built in knee pads. Best work pants I've ever owned, and you can buy them online. Some are even made in the USA.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM  

My problem is they always fall down. I hear that happens even with the combat ones our guys are wearing in Iraq. I need some that you rivet snaps to your pants and snap in.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM  
pjg

Rewards Points: 99

I don't have these, but they are on my wish list. US made too. http://www.bestbelt.com/product/belt...-kneepads.html
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM  

All jokes aside, Not having had any good luck with them myself, I would guess that the ones that tile guys wear would be the best. The DO spend a lot of time on them.

The ones that have a hard surface should do better on gravel I would think.

Every time I try a pair, I find them either about where a ladder rung hits or pulling down my pants.

So I don't bother with the stupid things. I just use a piece of Blue rigid Insulation about 1-2 inches works great.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:24 AM  
I have a black cat.

I have a pair that I bought off the aisle from hd and they work. Seriously, 15-20 bucks can save your knees. I wear them when crawling attics and under the house, trimming out, cutting in boxes etc.

Very good idea and investment.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:51 PM  
Buzzy304E

Rewards Points: 500

I'm 50 years old,having started in this trade in my mid-20's.Try to ignore all those with that Macho attitude about safety and taking care of your body.As an apprentice,I used to use the palm of my hand to hit things, instead of a proper Electricans' Hammer(linesmans'),this in spite of my old journeyman's warnings.Now,I've got perpetually sore hands.Within a few years of starting out,I could hear my knee joints crackling like an arcing switch.About a year after turning out from my apprenticeship,I had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands.I've had tendinitis in one of my elbows, a finger that occasionally locks up,and suffered a couple of back injuries as a young journeyman.I used to let the big iron-pumping guys bully me into lifting more than I could safely do,instead of getting some help from the other close-by electricians.Needless to say,those guys didn't pay me for the days I spent flat on my back.Used to have a hip and back problem from wearing every last tool in my arsenal, in my tool bags.Now, I'm a "minimalist".I have a small amount of hearing loss,as most longer term electricians do.
Take care of your body.I still feel I can go another 15 years,because I changed (most) of my ways.I've no problem keeping up with all but the most driven young guys,mainly from working "smarter,not harder",instead of bulling my way through things.Don't listen to those who don't have your best interests at heart.It's a marathon,not a sprint.Wear the knee pads.

(End of Sermon)

The Right-Reverend Ibuzzard

should of......could of....would of.....might of?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibuzzard For This Useful Post:
adam4all (05-15-2010), Frasbee (05-15-2010), yucan2 (05-16-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

I use something similar to this. Unless you spend a large part of your day on your knees these should help.

I have also owned regular knee pads but rarely used them because they are inconvenient and uncomfortable for most sparky tasks.

Buy the type that you can insert into your Carhartts.

http://www.softknees.com/softknees.html
Old 05-15-2010, 04:24 PM  

I use the hard plastic kind that snap above and below the knee for when I have to crawl around on outdoor advertising billboard catwalks. Kind of like baseball catchers use without the shin guard. If I wore pants, I probably wouldn't even bother, but that hot, sharp, rusted steel on bare knees hurts after a while.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,008

Isolation and duct tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't fight .. Play nice!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sparky View Post
Isolation and duct tape.
Is that one of them Canadian pronunciations?