Kohler 14RESA Generator Question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emtnut

Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Kohler 14RESA Generator Question

Interesting situation. A client with a rental property brought me his 3 year old "scrapped" Kohler 14RESA propane generator, which another Kohler tech replaced with a new unit. The client showed up and took possession of the "scrapped" unit the tech was otherwise going to haul away. The other Kohler Tech claimed the generator threw error codes, had the oil level too high, and then ran low on oil, etc. I tore the "scrapped" motor down and when I took off the valve cover, I found the rocker arm pivot bolt was loose, and the rocker arm was out of position (see photo.) Everything looked clean inside, and neither the pushrod nor the valve were bent. I lined it up, tightened it down, and the "scrapped" generator now works like a charm.

Questions:

1) when a rocker arm comes loose under load, what else would typically get damaged?

2) looking at the parts, is there any way of determining whether the motor was running at the time the rocker came off the valve?

3) how would you approach the client with this information?

Thanks.
Paul_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,636

I'm assuming when you say it works fine, you hooked it up to a propane source and ran it for awhile? Did you load test it?

How old is this generator?
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
Interesting situation. A client with a rental property brought me his 3 year old "scrapped" Kohler 14RESA propane generator, which another Kohler tech replaced with a new unit. The client showed up and took possession of the "scrapped" unit the tech was otherwise going to haul away. The other Kohler Tech claimed the generator threw error codes, had the oil level too high, and then ran low on oil, etc. I tore the "scrapped" motor down and when I took off the valve cover, I found the rocker arm pivot bolt was loose, and the rocker arm was out of position (see photo.) Everything looked clean inside, and neither the pushrod nor the valve were bent. I lined it up, tightened it down, and the "scrapped" generator now works like a charm.

Questions:

1) when a rocker arm comes loose under load, what else would typically get damaged?

2) looking at the parts, is there any way of determining whether the motor was running at the time the rocker came off the valve?

3) how would you approach the client with this information?

Thanks.
1) It could have damaged the valves
2) You'd have to rip apart and inspect
3) You got it going ... as Flyboy said, did you test under load?
I'd let the client know it seems to be working, but you have no idea what damage might have been done to the valves, or if it was run with low oil.

Are you a mechanic or an electrician ??
Bird dog likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
Paul_L (01-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Default Load test

I didn't load test it. When we first got it, we sprayed some starting fluid and it would kick over a little and backfire. Once we repositioned the rocker arm, we did the same thing and it ran.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

We still need to get a propane line hooked up and do a load test.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #6
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 948

I havenít had the valve covers off on one of these because they have hydraulic valves. Assuming there is no provision for lash adjustment. Given that, maybe a compression test would be wise. How many hours on this unit?
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
14resa, kohler, propane generator, sabotage