KVAR energy saving - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
EMC

Rewards Points: 10
Default KVAR energy saving

has anyone ever heard of kvar energy saving to reduce your power bill/consumption by correcting power factor? if so, i would like to hear your reactions and opinions
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

Crap, horse sh*t, junk, rip off, screwing your customer, criminally prosecutable sterling, snake oil, waste of money, bunk, road apples, black magic and if you really want my opinion well give me a few to get my thoughts together.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 414

No do tell!
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
EMC

but, its got a 12 year warranty and a 10% savings guarantee
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Give Brian a gun! I am of the same opinion. Kvar can only be dealt with in large industrial and commercial settings, motors in particular.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Crap, horse sh*t, junk, rip off, screwing your customer, criminally prosecutable sterling, snake oil, waste of money, bunk, road apples, black magic
So you didn't install one on your service?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #7

THis subject has been dealt with here and as noted before there is.

1. There is no penalty for poor residential PF.
2. The fixed capacitance of this device could be an improvement or too much or not enough correction.
3. As noted by others the best energy saver for residential is CFL's and turning down or up the stat depending on the season and turning off the lights.
4. There is no savings.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
EMC

its not so much the power factor, as the lower amp/wattage use. does this make any difference?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

ANOTHER KVAR thread ???????????????????

Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Well yes we have its part of the economic recovery plan in the good old usa today everyone is thinkin green !!
You see you pay to have it installed by a out of work electrician he comes in and changes the temp setting on your water heater next he puts in lower wattage bulbs ect ect you do save power ! and your helping out the working class trying to make a living by doing your part to save energy . take care think green turn down t stat and a lamp !

Now just come out and say it your selling these and your not sure of what your selling right or wrong ?

Last edited by nick; 05-01-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #11

Its a four letter word JUNK.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc View Post
its not so much the power factor, as the lower amp/wattage use. Does this make any difference?
that's a big no
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540

dude, c'mon! I saw the "sham wow" guy hawking that stuff on late night tv! It MUST work!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

it only works with motors the best, reduces heat. google KVAR scam and see what you get. ill have to find my post I made about it a while back.. YES another thread but a newbie OP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #15

AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhaaa...i found it..here ya go it was under the thread "power saver"..

Ok its my turn.. I went into the supply house the other day and they had a dvd set up with some gadgets, so i am a man i had to look. They arent selling it but a salesman came in to set it up for all to see, its called a KVAR energy controller.

Its supposed to reduce electrical waste by electromagneticity and reduces the NON-productive current in the electrical system. It is supposed to increase euip. life by reducing heat around the motor and wiring caused by reactive current...blah blah blah...

here is a sight to check out

www.youtube.com/watch?v=efG2-yk3ZK0

Or read crap here:
http://www.globalgreensavings.com/
Opinion of this crap, let me digress,

The electric meter does not register reactive current, only watts. The
KVAR Energy Controller is a capacitor that reduces I squared R line loss.
By improving the power factor of the electric distribution system or an
individual motor, the KVAR unit reduces excessive reactive current that
produces heat, heat is watts, and watts through the meter are reduced. It
is easy to demonstrate how a capacitor can slow down the electric meter
when it is installed on the load side of the electric company's cash
register.

Follow your instincts, search or try it yourself.

Here is an idea, raise your hand, close your fist, stick out you index finger and turn the switch off, save power....... tadaaaaaaaaa..
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Proud Navy Veteran

Rewards Points: 590

What worries me is he screen name is EMC. If he is Navy, he is giving the rest of us a bad name by even mentioning kvar scam.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #17

probably a salesman like the past hiding under a name or some original that has more than 1 screen name
Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Registered Member

Well you can not sell one unit meaning one size fits all homes for power factor correction . Each home would need a study done on that home . what home owner would pay to do that ?

The kvar needed on each motor needs to be at that motor not down stream at the service outdoors !

Lets look inside a few capacitors one or two metal oxide varistors and a choke coil for back feeds online . a coil its a ripple filter for what ? we need ac not dc power in our home .

Question how come GE does not make these for single dwellings ?

What about your computer or all your electronics at the house do you really need a capacitor increasing you voltage at that outlet up to say 160 volts ? because when you add caps thats going to give ya more volts .

Lets look at a short or a appliance with a problem whats that extra voltage stored going to do ?

Does it effect a GFI meaning trip time or maybe burn out or limit some devices in your home meaning limit the warranty of its life span running at higher voltage ?

Best part is all your electronic power supplies will be hotter running as ther internal dc voltage regulators will need to disapate that extra dropped voltage of the correction caps now attached to your service . Take care be safe but dont take the bait !!!

Last edited by nick; 05-02-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: SPEND A FEW DOLLARS TO SAVE A PENNY SPEND THOUSANDS TO FIND OUT IT DONT WORK
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
EMC

Nick, thank you for explaining, that helps it make sense to me why this is not a great idea. Let me clear the air and say that i am not a salesman and do not believe in these. It sounds like a get rich quick type of thing to me. Greg, let me apologize to you for "making you look bad" by using my initials as my screen name, next time I'll try to be more creative. This was brought to me by someone I know and I said I would look into it. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
Nick, thank you for explaining, that helps it make sense to me why this is not a great idea. Let me clear the air and say that i am not a salesman and do not believe in these. It sounds like a get rich quick type of thing to me. Greg, let me apologize to you for "making you look bad" by using my initials as my screen name, next time I'll try to be more creative. This was brought to me by someone I know and I said I would look into it. Thanks to all for your help.
Well we understand that its just there are some who come on and are trying to sell it to us folks and i do like to debate with them for fun ! We can say they kinda do work but its not much just pennys .
I will not go running out and purchase one but id like to test one in a controlled kinda load take it to the test bench !! You can only use energy wisely energy used is energy lost law of physics . EMC GEEZEE i dont know anything about electric stuff i was just helping out Greg with that Navy comment !!! Take care best to ya

Last edited by nick; 05-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Closed Thread