LED lighting and buzzing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Default LED lighting and buzzing

Installed Good Earth LED under cabinet lighting for a customer. On a standard single pole , there is no buzzing.

Customer requested a dimmer. I have tried various Lutron (CL, Diva) to no avail. I have also tried Leviton products.

For fun I tried a Kasa smart dimmer , same result. Buzzing. I’m at a loss. No other lights on this switch
RonWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 193

Is the particular light you installed dimmable?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,996

I don't think you're doing it right.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Modrateur

Rewards Points: 16,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWeasley View Post
Installed Good Earth LED under cabinet lighting for a customer. On a standard single pole , there is no buzzing.

Customer requested a dimmer. I have tried various Lutron (CL, Diva) to no avail. I have also tried Leviton products.

For fun I tried a Kasa smart dimmer , same result. Buzzing. I’m at a loss. No other lights on this switch
Did you ever check the installment instruction and many time with LED units if they are compareable with dimmer they will listed on their manual so did you check it in first place?,,,

Also please fill the profile if you are legit electrician or EC .,, thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,791

Some LED drivers are dim-able, some aren't, sounds like you got one that aren't. Don't matter what dimmer switch you use, the driver has to be dim-able.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #6

Hi all

Yes these are 100% dimmable and are available at most big box stores with “dimmable” clearly on the packaging .

Also, Leviton Diva and CL are on the compatibility list. When I tried both, i get buzz. “Compatibility” to Leviton supposedly means you can’t hear it from 2ft away. I can hear these from about 15-20ft.

Not sure how I “can’t be doing this right.”
RonWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
zac

Rewards Points: 814

Quote:
Hi all

Yes these are 100% dimmable and are available at most big box stores with “dimmable” clearly on the packaging .

Also, Leviton Diva and CL are on the compatibility list. When I tried both, i get buzz. “Compatibility” to Leviton supposedly means you can’t hear it from 2ft away. I can hear these from about 15-20ft.

Beware of the word dimmable. I had bought leds that where dimmable at the home depot. They weren't. The dimmable labeled on the box meant that you could adjust the light brightness by switching the toggle on the unit itself!
The members here are just cautious due to the fact that your first post are "how to do question". Get a lot of those folks around here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,785

Quote:
Hi all

Did you try the dimming "tuning in" per the Leviton instructions packaged with the Leviton dimmers? I've had those little buggers perform miracles that the high priced dimmers cannot achieve. I posted the model number a while back, it was available on the shelf at Home Depot. Works winner with Lithonia wafer lights and Kitchler 4U series undercabinet led lights. But you have to tune em in.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,340

Just because a lamp claims to be dimer compatible doesn't mean it is totally silent, many lamps buzz to some extent but it's usually tolerated because it's usually not loud.
But you may be unlucky enough to have very good high frequency hearing so to you it is more noticable.
Some glue or silicon may help.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 244

Try another driver.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 19,556

Welcome aboard @RonWeasley!

Where on Delmarva?

Big Harry Potter fan?

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Just because a lamp claims to be dimer compatible doesn't mean it is totally silent, many lamps buzz to some extent but it's usually tolerated because it's usually not loud.
But you may be unlucky enough to have very good high frequency hearing so to you it is more noticable.
Some glue or silicon may help.
Maybe. I put in Ikea under cabinet lights that hummed with the remote control. Nobody could hear it except the HO. We thought she was nuts but I googled it and it was true. She abandoned the remote and used the wall switch I installed.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,151

I installed Cree LED trims for a customer last year. The box even says that it is dimmable, no hum, no buzz. I used ariadni LED dimmers. They were on the compatibility list. Customer called me back because they were humming. I told him over the phone he must have the hearing of a dog. I went to check it out anyways. This guy has no TVs or any other ambient noise in his house. You could probably hear a pin drop clearly. There was a tiny faint hum caused by the dimmer. I wouldn't have even noticed it if he didn't specifically pointed out to me. Tried a leviton and a P&S dimmer. They made it louder. I gave him the option of no dimmer or live with it. He chose to live with it
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 193

This is a good example of why letting customers spec lights is a good idea. OP< how many trips have to taken to the supply house and the customer's house?
MechanicalDVR (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,151

The GE ones they sell at bLowes 1 shelf over from the junk you installed work and dim great.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSparky For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 19,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This is a good example of why letting customers spec lights is a good idea. OP< how many trips have to taken to the supply house and the customer's house?

Couldn't agree more. I have them buy whatever it is they want installed and just charge for parts and labor.

Installed an owner supplied Honeywell ceiling fan a few weeks ago.

A few days later the HO called me back and said that the light isn't bright enough, what can we do. I said you can go get another fan that has more light and I can come remove and replace the new one. When they found out it was for the same price as the first fan they decided to buy a lamp.
HackWork likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote