Leeson Motor Parts - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jlarson
  • 1 Post By MDShunk

Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296
Default Leeson Motor Parts

Anyone have a source for motor rebuild parts? I have a 5HP 1PH 230 volt leeson motor(old) that needs a new spring on the start switch(centrifugal in the end bell). Searched the web, called Lesson and no luck so far.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Might not even be worth searching for when you can slap a solid state little cube in there and calll it done.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
Fiki (04-01-2011), John Valdes (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
Anyone have a source for motor rebuild parts? I have a 5HP 1PH 230 volt leeson motor(old) that needs a new spring on the start switch(centrifugal in the end bell). Searched the web, called Lesson and no luck so far.
I think a motor repair/rewind shop would have what you need. Or at least the whole new centrifugal switch.

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Might not even be worth searching for when you can slap a solid state little cube in there and calll it done.
That is what I was gonna recommend. You waste less time hunting for parts that way.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,790

I am not familiar with the cube Marc and Larson speak of. And I would like to know more. I am asking?
OP. Your best bet is with the distributor not Leeson. Leeson is built in China. Go to Leeson's website and find a local distributor. They can help you. Thats what they do.

Marc or Larson..........How about some info on this cube. Does it eliminate the centrifugal switch? And how. Link? I have been out of the motor business for almost 7 years now and I am lagging behind badly. Thanks in advance.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,022

They are pretty much just a solid state relay that drops out the start winding after a delay.

http://www.carbonbrush.com/macrostart.htm
John Valdes likes this.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
I am not familiar with the cube Marc and Larson speak of. And I would like to know more. I am asking?
OP. Your best bet is with the distributor not Leeson. Leeson is built in China. Go to Leeson's website and find a local distributor. They can help you. Thats what they do.

Marc or Larson..........How about some info on this cube. Does it eliminate the centrifugal switch? And how. Link? I have been out of the motor business for almost 7 years now and I am lagging behind badly. Thanks in advance.
Larson gave you the link to the Macrostart brand. I forget what brand I use, but it's different. Looks identical, though. Sinpac, maybe. They're also an excellent solution for motors with centrifugal starters that start very often and burn out the switch. The solid state thing is bulletproof.

EDIT...just remembered that Mars makes one too, but I can't find it on the net.
John Valdes likes this.

Last edited by MDShunk; 04-01-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post

Damn. I think they used to be built in England. The whole world is going to the dogs, oops, I mean the Chinese..........
Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Damn. I think they used to be built in England. The whole world is going to the dogs, oops, I mean the Chinese..........
They're still a respectable motor, however, in my mind.

I do a lot of dairy work for some reason, and a lot of the dairy OEM's use a lot of Sterling Electric brand motors (every spec of them is stainless steel). They're made in China too, but they're a fine motor. Better be... they're about a grand per horsepower in all stainless.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
I think a motor repair/rewind shop would have what you need. Or at least the whole new centrifugal switch.
They still have those? I was told that it is just cheaper to get a new motor and sell the old one as scrap.
Fiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiki View Post
They still have those? I was told that it is just cheaper to get a new motor and sell the old one as scrap.
Read post #9, scraping a 5hp motor that's $1000 to $5000 bucks is not smart. Then you can get into the quality issue with older motors being built better.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

We actually recieved a replacement Leeson motor at work with a solid state switch installed. They are available from a number of companies and incredibly simple to install and not expensive. There is no reason not to use one as a replacement for a mechanical switch, even if one is available. There are four leads on a little module that sits outside the motor and may even fit in the terminal box. Two wires connect where the centrifugal was connected. The other two wires go in series with the motor. The connections in series with the motor, inside the module, are the primary of a current transformer. It is just a couple of turns of heavy wire that has virtually no effect on the motor. The module must match the motor size This could not be easier. Take the motor current rating off the plate and select the right module from a chart. The way it works is that it monitors motor current. As we all know, motors pull a lot of current when they start. This high current triggers a triac, a solid state switch rhat replaces the centrifugal switch. As soon as the current drops the solid state switch opens. No springs to break, no weights and no contacts to get pitted.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mycrossover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mycrossover For This Useful Post:
telsa (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiki View Post
It depends on how expensive the motor is and what is wrong. Small single phase motors have problems with the caps or centrifical switches and they can be cheap to have fixed. You aren't going to want to have a small one rewound unless it is an odd style.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhellwig View Post
It depends on how expensive the motor is and what is wrong. Small single phase motors have problems with the caps or centrifical switches and they can be cheap to have fixed. You aren't going to want to have a small one rewound unless it is an odd style.
Who was talking about rewinding a motor. If you can't replace a capacitor or even replace a centrifigal switch maybe you shouldn't be messing with motors. No fractional horse motor is anywhere as cheap as a capacitor that is not even inside the motor housing. If it is not in your skill set, by all means buy a new motor.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #15
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

Hi hack.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #16

Did you write that all by yourself?