Leviton GFCI - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree45Likes

Old 10-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Leviton GFCI

Has anyone been having problems with w/p gfci's burning up. In the past 6 months I have had two Leviton GFWT1's 15a weather proof gfci's installed with an in-use covers on the exterior of homes completely burn up, damaging the wiring, box and in-use cover. Both of these gfci's were in areas that they have had little to no load on them. Leviton blamed moisture getting in the box on the first one and then disposed of the receptacle. I have not sent the second one back to them yet. I personally find it hard to believe that a gfci that is subject to moisture would completely burn up, but I am looking for other professional opinions outside of the Leviton family.
Thank you
Quinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,427

I installed this outlet last Summer and it burnt up this Summer. The wires weren't affected though. I replaced it after a night of rain and there was absolutely no moisture in the box or under the cover.

Leviton GFCI-img_0548.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 26,836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn 1 View Post
Has anyone been having problems with w/p gfci's burning up. In the past 6 months I have had two Leviton GFWT1's 15a weather proof gfci's installed with an in-use covers on the exterior of homes completely burn up, damaging the wiring, box and in-use cover. Both of these gfci's were in areas that they have had little to no load on them. Leviton blamed moisture getting in the box on the first one and then disposed of the receptacle. I have not sent the second one back to them yet. I personally find it hard to believe that a gfci that is subject to moisture would completely burn up, but I am looking for other professional opinions outside of the Leviton family.
Thank you
Just because it has an in-use cover does NOT mean that the customer// user properly used it.

Think about it.

Dollars to doughnuts they simply left the cover hinged UP.

Then you're left running around trying to make sense out of their lies.

You're not being called out to expose their abuse -- but to get a free replacement.

Of course, the damage should be expected to be in the lower position.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn 1 View Post
Thank you

Quinn, just curious, how did it completely damage the box and cover? I personally haven't seen this due to moisture.

Little or no load, you say? I'm going to suspect user error at this point.
350X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 546

We have had several Leviton GFCIs fail on us and no longer install or stock them.
220/221 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,149

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I installed this outlet last Summer and it burnt up this Summer. The wires weren't affected though. I replaced it after a night of rain and there was absolutely no moisture in the box or under the cover.

Attachment 115153
The pic Hack has looks more like the result of a loose, worn, defective cord cap on the hot terminal that was plugged in. Plugged in with a good load bad connections will heat up.

Perhaps the safety shutters take away from the contact area.

Haven't seen a total melt down that damaged everything like the OP is describing. Loose screw connections with a heavy load? Was it protected with those new fangled CB that are to prevent arkfaults?

For bubble covers I install them so by default they want to close with the hinge on top. I see many installed with the hinge on the side, which is easier to plug in something IMO. But it dosen't seem like the designed way to install. What do I know, one day I'll read the instructions.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

I have seen every brand of GFCI receptacle fail catastrophically at some point or another. I really do like Leviton devices. They're my preference choice. I can't say that I have seen a failure rate from them any more than any other brand.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Just because it has an in-use cover does NOT mean that the customer// user properly used it.

Think about it.

Dollars to doughnuts they simply left the cover hinged UP.

Then you're left running around trying to make sense out of their lies.

You're not being called out to expose their abuse -- but to get a free replacement.

Of course, the damage should be expected to be in the lower position.
I don't believe it was improper use. Little to no load, I say this because the first one was a dedicated circuit for future landscape lighting on a single family home, which was only found because the in-use cover was blacked out due to smoke damage. The second one is an A/C service receptacle on a new multi family condo building which was installed after the A/C units were set so not likely to be used for anything else. When I say burned up I mean the entire back of the gfci burned through.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:

Attachment 115153
I will try to get a picture the back of the gfci is completely burn up, yours looks good compared to it.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,731

My goodness, there sure seems to be re-ocurring threads regarding how bad Leviton GFI's are. This time I didn't even put in a post till now.

What's up Leviton? Soros shorting you?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,356

If the GFI is part of a multi-wire branch circuit and the neutral is open, there could be elevated voltage on the GFI. This would cause a meltdown of the electronics inside it.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,134

Quote:

Attachment 115153
Is that weather resistant? Usually they have WR on them.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
JGolan likes this.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Is that weather resistant? Usually they have WR on them.

Weather resistant GFCIs eat into my profit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,134

Quote:
Lol. I just pass the cost on.

rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Lol. I just pass the cost on.

So do I.

Double profit

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
MTW

Rewards Points: 11,408

Quote:
So do I.

Double profit

Some things even I won't do, like installing non-WR devices outside.
JGolan likes this.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Some things even I won't do, like installing non-WR devices outside.
It's in a weather resistant box.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 138

Quote:

Attachment 115153
Was it located in direct sunlight?

I have one that keeps tripping. Last time I went there the cover was discolored. Im guessing the heat from the sun is causing it to trip or causing condensation inside causing it to trip. Its in direct sunlight all through the day.
It is wr rated

Texting and Driving
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
MTW

Rewards Points: 11,408

Quote:
It's in a weather resistant box.
Oh, ok.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Sounds like you donít charge enough.
JoeSparky and MTW like this.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote