license & exams: "residential/single-phase" v "journeyman" - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 825
Default license & exams: "residential/single-phase" v "journeyman"

In my city, Rochester NY, there are two types of license, with Thompson Prometric exams administered by the City: "Masters," and "Single-Phase," sometimes referred to as "Residential." I'm applying for the Single Phase. The test prep universe seems to be organized around "Master" and "Journeyman." I would be grateful for any thoughts on prep for a Single Phase exam, and the difference between that and a Journeyman exam. THANKS.

[background: I'm not quite a newbie. I had a 1-ph license some years ago, and let it lapse when I changed careers -- stupidly, at a moment when I had a better use for $20. Thanks to the recession, the job market, and the job market for people in their 50s, I'm back in the old trade, updating skills and needing that license.]
mikewillnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 642

I don't know what a "single-phase" license allows you to do. I presume residential and light commercial, because that's generally the only single-phase out there.

If you have the option, go for the higher caliber license. Doesn't make any sense not to, in my opinion.

I went to college in Rochester, at UR Have some relatives there too.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,004

I wonder what happens when there is a house with a 3 phase service there.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintage Sounds For This Useful Post:
Stryder89 (03-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

3-ph houses are pretty rare, and would require the masters license.
To APPLY for the masters requires 3000 more of hours of employee experience.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hey mike, i am a journeyman,3 phs guy i guess. i have done some residential panels and doing more residential here in the midwest IA/IL. a friend ask me to stop over and that his wife got shocked touching the garage(metal siding) and hand pulling a weed.. i could not duplicate this but the neutral has 6-10 v to known ground..FPE Stab Lok panel. Total fire hazard i will be changing that. i killd the 200a main, i have continuity from each ph to neu. open between phases( a good thing) so i run up and down each side of panel and have brear to neu continuity. One of them made my fluke ring and I could hear music thru the meter. At this point the neu is the only thing connected to the grid. Ever heard of anything like this
Jwjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Nice, so Rochester basically regulates licensure degrading resi electrical workers to romex jocky .....what do they require for inspections? Elves from Oz?
~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

jwjim: one of my personal rules for troubleshooting, developed over a number of years (#3, probably) is, when you find a clear, obvious problem, don't keep troubleshooting. Stop and fix the problem. Then, go back to the troubleshooting. In this case, the obvious problem would be the FPE panel.

chicken: I'm not sure I understand your point, though the picture, and resemblance to inspectors I've met, is funny.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

To make things even less clear, the Prometric "admit letter" tells me I'll be taking the "Master Residential Electrical" exam, code 20313. "Master" and "Residential" in the same sentence seems to suggest some kind of hybrid. They offer no additional information, or practice tests etc, on their website.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillnot View Post
To make things even less clear, the Prometric "admit letter" tells me I'll be taking the "Master Residential Electrical" exam, code 20313. "Master" and "Residential" in the same sentence seems to suggest some kind of hybrid. They offer no additional information, or practice tests etc, on their website.
Just take these practice exams here

What have you been doing for 1.5 years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote