License question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree13Likes

Old 10-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default License question

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this question to. I am an experienced electrician who just moved to the US. I have a degree in electrical engineering. How can I obtain the license without having to go through apprenticeships?
Thanks in advance.
zerop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
cog

Rewards Points: 956

From where is your experience?
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,749

There is no national license. The license depends on your state, county, or even town. No one can give you an answer unless they know where you are from.

Some places require work in their jurisdiction, so even if you worked in a neighboring state for 20 years you would have to work in that state for enough years to qualify.
micromind and Bird dog like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 838

@zerop please fill in your profile.
John Valdes likes this.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerop View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this question to. I am an experienced electrician who just moved to the US. I have a degree in electrical engineering. How can I obtain the license without having to go through apprenticeships?
Thanks in advance.
Electrical Engineer is a very broad field.
You might have worked on guided missile systems, designed circuit boards, pump controls, antennas, who knows.
The Engineers with the most relevance in the construction trades are a PE.
Our trade is all about field experience, specifically a good solid 3-5 years before you can have enough knowledge to work without close supervision.
You might have to look very hard to find a licensing jurisdiction that will hand you a license based on a EE degree.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
By PE do you mean the same engineers that can stamp prints?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #7
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

You can sub an bachelors engineering degree for contractor in many states, with a very little trade experience accompaniment
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,344

I have yet to meet an an electrical engineer that knew anything about being an electrician.

Fill out your profile. Please.
tmessner likes this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
By PE do you mean the same engineers that can stamp prints?
To become licensed, engineers must complete a four-year college degree, work under a Professional Engineer (PE) for at least four years, pass two intensive competency exams and earn a license from their state's licensure board. Then, to retain their licenses, PEs must continually maintain and improve their skills throughout their careers. I believe they trump an inspector As the ahj.
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
I have yet to meet an an electrical engineer that knew anything about being an electrician.

I'm two (difficult) classes away from my bachelors in electrical engineering.

I love to meet customers that say something to the tune of "If you can just get the permit and set the meter and main panel, I can wire the rest of the house, I'm an electrical engineer."

My response is usually something of "You're an electrical engineer? That's cool! I'm just finishing up my bachelors in EE. Gosh, it's so hard! Classes must have been different back in the day when you went, I thought having my electrical contracting license and all this field experience would make it a breeze, but man, none of the classes have been anything anywhere near related to wiring houses!!!"
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt1124 For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (10-06-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #11
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,378

Quote:

I was a young journeyman on a residential condo remodel. The customer was an EE. He asked me very seriously if I was wiring the recessed lighting in series or parallel.
John Valdes and cwsims84 like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
neutral member

Rewards Points: 460

there's been a few houses I worked on that had wiring done by EEs

the main defect I remember

is they did not seem familiar with concept of box connectors
Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
neutral member

Rewards Points: 460

or boxes!
John Valdes likes this.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 6

Yeah them EE's tend to over think the situation at hand from not knowing the Code or wiring specifics.
BigSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,858

Quote:

We haven’t met yet...

But I know what you mean. I was an electrician FIRST, that’s the only reason I know anything useful when it comes to what electricians do for a living. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve seen some piece of “brilliant” engineering and thought “That POS was designed by someone who has NEVER had to work in the field...”. My pet peeve is designs that end up being totally legal from a code /UL perspective, but are so crammed full of stuff in as small a space as possible that there is no way to connect anything without drawing blood. I’m not doing a lot of design work any more, but when I did, electricians loved how I laid things out and I owe that to my experience AS an electrician, not my degree.
John Valdes and MikeFL like this.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:

I have worked with a few BUT those guys put themselves through college working as electricians helpers and stuck with the trade until that debt was paid off. Their starting salary was less as a PE than it was as a journeyman.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
We havenít met yet...

But I know what you mean. I was an electrician FIRST, thatís the only reason I know anything useful when it comes to what electricians do for a living. I canít even count the number of times Iíve seen some piece of ďbrilliantĒ engineering and thought ďThat POS was designed by someone who has NEVER had to work in the field...Ē. My pet peeve is designs that end up being totally legal from a code /UL perspective, but are so crammed full of stuff in as small a space as possible that there is no way to connect anything without drawing blood. Iím not doing a lot of design work any more, but when I did, electricians loved how I laid things out and I owe that to my experience AS an electrician, not my degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I have worked with a few BUT those guys put themselves through college working as electricians helpers and stuck with the trade until that debt was paid off. Their starting salary was less as a PE than it was as a journeyman.
Agree. I was speaking from personal experience. But if the engineer has had some time doing electrical work, he is just that more valuable.

It always seemed it was mechanical engineers that I always worked under. Maintenance supervisor types.
These guys were usually fresh out of college and knew electrical theory, but had no actually hands on experience.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 292

Pennsylvania will take anyone, no license required for state, only contractors license. Some local cities do want your money.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

OP

If you're in Ohio , your EE degree automatically qualifies you
for the state license.

Don't know about other states
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
To become licensed, engineers must complete a four-year college degree, work under a Professional Engineer (PE) for at least four years, pass two intensive competency exams and earn a license from their state's licensure board. Then, to retain their licenses, PEs must continually maintain and improve their skills throughout their careers. I believe they trump an inspector As the ahj.
And most likely none of their training has been on the electrical code.

They most definitely do not trump the inspector or AHJ.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote