Lift Battery Charger Voltages - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By wcord
  • 1 Post By micromind

Old 03-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Default Lift Battery Charger Voltages

Hey all, I’m a third year appretice hoping to get some help with my dads new forklift. We havnt talked about 3-phase power/transformers very much in school so Im not entirely sure how different voltages are created/used. My dad bought a new forklift for his shop. I went to check it out and I believe he has 208Y/120(A_B-240 B_C-240 A_C-240 A_N-120 B_N-120 C_N-208. Correct me if Im wrong. The charger nameplate says its wired for 480v. May be a dumb question but will this charger work for what voltage/charger he has? If so, how can it be wired? Wish I had a j-man that can help me out but he doesnt have a solid answer for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
abean707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by abean707 View Post
Hey all, I’m a third year appretice hoping to get some help with my dads new forklift. We havnt talked about 3-phase power/transformers very much in school so Im not entirely sure how different voltages are created/used. My dad bought a new forklift for his shop. I went to check it out and I believe he has 208Y/120(A_B-240 B_C-240 A_C-240 A_N-120 B_N-120 C_N-208. Correct me if Im wrong.
No, you have a 240/120 volt 4-wire delta.

Quote:
The charger nameplate says its wired for 480v. May be a dumb question but will this charger work for what voltage/charger he has? If so, how can it be wired? Wish I had a j-man that can help me out but he doesnt have a solid answer for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The charger will not work work on 240 the way it is wired now. It may be possible to change the charger input voltage, but we won't know unless you tell us what brand and model number it is. It's kinda crazy that your J-man doesn't know a 480 volt charger won't work on 240.
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,554

Look on the nameplate, it'll state the voltages it can be connected for.

If it can operate on 240, you'll need to reconnect a bunch of wires inside it. Hopefully, there'll be a diagram for the various voltages.

Also, as noted, the shop has a 120/240 3Ř 4 wire ∆ service.

If the charger is 3Ř, it'll need all 3 phases but not the neutral. Unless stated on the wiring diagram, it doesn't matter where the high leg goes.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #5
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,778

Quote:
Hey all, I’m a third year appretice hoping to get some help with my dads new forklift. We havnt talked about 3-phase power/transformers very much in school so Im not entirely sure how different voltages are created/used. My dad bought a new forklift for his shop. I went to check it out and I believe he has 208Y/120(A_B-240 B_C-240 A_C-240 A_N-120 B_N-120 C_N-208. Correct me if Im wrong. The charger nameplate says its wired for 480v. May be a dumb question but will this charger work for what voltage/charger he has? If so, how can it be wired? Wish I had a j-man that can help me out but he doesnt have a solid answer for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ya got 240 volt 4 wire delta system and be aware of wild leg connection as you noted on that.

If you posted the charger model maybe one of us can help you with the changeover of the primary connection for charger. ( if you did study or know about the transfomers they work same way for changeover )

double check the nameplate for ampacity rating for the conductor for primary connection that will make the differnce there.

Oh by the way if you hook up 240 volt source to charger that set up for 480 you will not able get the battery charged up at all.
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

@CoolWill @micromind @frenchelectrician Thank you all for taking time to help me out. My j-man never attended any school/training and said "some people are just good at taking test". I would look for a better company (j-man) but my company sponsors me in an apprenticeship. That being said, I have been trying to study up on transformers on my own. I will keep at it and hopefully it will click soon. I will try to get some pics of the charger and someone can give me further info on it. For now I will tell my dad that he is SOL. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
Modérateur

Quote:
@CoolWill @micromind @frenchelectrician Thank you all for taking time to help me out. My j-man never attended any school/training and said "some people are just good at taking test". I would look for a better company (j-man) but my company sponsors me in an apprenticeship. That being said, I have been trying to study up on transformers on my own. I will keep at it and hopefully it will click soon. I will try to get some pics of the charger and someone can give me further info on it. For now I will tell my dad that he is SOL. Thanks again!
Ya welcome on that part and by the way tell your baka Jman to punt a coconut .,, not football .,, a legit big arse coconut .,,

anyway if you going to post the photos just wait until ya get 20 posting then ya can post it ( it is our fourm set up to have new members posted at least 20 for photos ditto with PM )

There are quite few online study on the transformer and once you understand it it become easy to figure it out.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

The charger Make: G|N|B Model: SCR-100 series Model No.: SCR100-24-965T1Z

I looked at the manual and found the AC connections schematic but its still hard for me to wrap my head around without previous training on how to read/understand them Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25,606

A three-phase motor and three-phase transformer are electrically IDENTICAL.

This is one of the first -- and quite surprising -- things that EE students learn.

What this means to you: that the wiring connections for such transformers mirror those of motors.

Dual voltage 3-phase motors in the smaller sizes are common as dust.

So what you're looking for is if this charger is dual voltage, too.

If it is, the NAMEPLATE or other riveted on plate will show just so.

Look for it.

I would also expect that the leads are labelled. You'll want that.

In a high voltage pattern, a dual voltage motor has its windings connected in series.

When connected for low voltage ( 240 not 480 ) the windings will be connected in parallel.

You will only be playing with the Primary Winding connections, BTW.

Don't touch anything else.

Also, keep an eye out for some such control transformer. The logic that runs this beast may well have a second transformer that is sized strictly for it, fused for it.

( Battery packs for forklifts are commonly 36 VDC or 48 VDC... though lower voltages have been used. Such voltages are not common as control logic voltages.)

All in all, I'd suspect that you're best bet is to call in a certified forklift expert. You're going to have to have one on call, anyway. Older units will have chronic hydraulic 'events.'

What puzzles you for hours he'll know the answer to in seconds.

Wrong connections -- by you -- can cause real damage.

You didn't buy the dang thing. Bring in an expert.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 862

In most cases, pieces of equipment are going to be made to accept one voltage and phasing, or have some method to deal with other voltages. A jumper on a control board, a different set of terminals to connect to, or maybe require some internal wiring changes. Should be in a manual or maybe available online.

Don’t sweat how your journeyman did his training. Maybe there was no or limited classroom instruction or no test at the time. You work with what you’re given for rules and make the best of it. You pass the test however you can, test prep strategy and some knowledge and move on. Licensing vs not, formal training or not is debated all the time. Points well made from either side. There is always a process that takes time to get to the point where you can work alone and make some decent money. Just view it that way and you'll do fine.

Last edited by nrp3; 03-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,520

Quote:
The charger Make: G|N|B Model: SCR-100 series Model No.: SCR100-24-965T1Z

I looked at the manual and found the AC connections schematic but its still hard for me to wrap my head around without previous training on how to read/understand them Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
All the internal leads are brought to the terminal strip. By moving the various jumpers to the appropriate terminals, you are able to configure the internal components to what ever voltage the customer has.

Therefore, for 208 volt, you will connect L1 to #1. usually there are supplied jumpers to go from #1 to #4 and #17. And so on for L2 and L3
Attached Thumbnails
Lift Battery Charger Voltages-charger.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to wcord For This Useful Post:
abean707 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Can't Remember

Very cool. I would have been surprised if this was a one voltage only piece of gear. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
All the internal leads are brought to the terminal strip. By moving the various jumpers to the appropriate terminals, you are able to configure the internal components to what ever voltage the customer has.

Therefore, for 208 volt, you will connect L1 to #1. usually there are supplied jumpers to go from #1 to #4 and #17. And so on for L2 and L3
Just let you know the OP mention 240 volt delta system so the 208 volt connection is void on that unless the OP want to burn up the battery on that.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Just let you know the OP mention 240 volt delta system so the 208 volt connection is void on that unless the OP want to burn up the battery on that.
picky pickly lol

The open Delta wont have any effect on a strickly 3 phase unit

Make the connections as per this drawing. Same concept, only different terminals are involved
Attached Thumbnails
Lift Battery Charger Voltages-240-charger.jpg  

Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #15

@telsa @nrp3 @wcord Thanks for the advice. Im starting to feel more confident with all this good info. I think if I can watch a professional do it once it will click. I just need to see it done so i dont move wires around and accidently damage his equipment. Ill ask to be there when a pro comes to look at it and learn from them. Im going to study up on schematics to further my understanding before i see it done. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
Modérateur

Quote:
@telsa @nrp3 @wcord Thanks for the advice. Im starting to feel more confident with all this good info. I think if I can watch a professional do it once it will click. I just need to see it done so i dont move wires around and accidently damage his equipment. Ill ask to be there when a pro comes to look at it and learn from them. Im going to study up on schematics to further my understanding before i see it done. Thanks again!
sometime it wiser to get a pro to come in like a forklift tech to give a quick look over and check it out to make sure sure the charger and forklift is good to go and you can learn it from that person whom will double check the connection on charger if you ask him to do that.

and pay atteriton to the fuse rating as you see on the nameplate info.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Can't Remember

One point I'd like to make is pay attention to details. Around here, I don't think I've ever seen one of these 240v Delta systems. Always take the time to measure the voltage. Never assume. The costs involved with the stuff involved here is quite a bit more than the average household. Landing something on the bastard leg that you are assuming is 120v can let the magic blue smoke out. I've only seen these systems traveling on vacation. That said it doesn't mean they don't exist here. We all make mistakes, you will too. Learn from them and or listen and learn and try to avoid them with what you have learned.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you could do this without watching it done by someone else first.

My recommendation would be to see if L1 goes to 1, L2 to 7 and L3 to 13. If so, leave them, if not remove them.

Next, remove all jumpers so you have only 3 wires on the strip. 1, 7 and 13.

Then, begin at 1 and add the jumpers following the diagram (the second one posted, 240 volts. Not the 208 volt one).

If there are not enough jumpers, simply make more from wire that's the same size as existing.

There's talk about the high leg of the power system, it's 208 to neutral/ground. For this charger, it doesn't matter where it goes but most of us will land it on L2 and use orange wire.

When you're done, trace each jumper and compare it to the diagram.

Once you start, you'll find it's easier than you thought.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #19
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
sometime it wiser to get a pro to come in like a forklift tech to give a quick look over and check it out to make sure sure the charger and forklift is good to go and you can learn it from that person whom will double check the connection on charger if you ask him to do that.

and pay atteriton to the fuse rating as you see on the nameplate info.
Agree, the fuses will most likely need to be larger for 240 than they were for 480.
frenchelectrican likes this.