Lights not Working - Page 3 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree94Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 24
Default

Yeah, once I checked hot to neutral and had the same issue I knew it was a bad hot. I took an extension cord from an outlet I knew was good and 'plugged' each switched fixture up and they all worked fine. This told me that the break/loose connection was in the main run back to the panel. Next spring, when it isn't -31 outside, I will have a builder buddy of mine rip off some siding and we will cut a chase in the outside sheeting and run a new line back to the panel. At least everything is on the same outside wall. I have the lights temp hooked up to the countertop receptacle circuit till then.

Thanks for the help guys.
Daniel J Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Semi-Ret Electrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 3,109
Rewards Points: 486
Default

One good use for a tic is tracing a circuit in an attic full of romex.
Just have a helper switch the breaker off and on as you drag the tic along the wire.
zac likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #43
zac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 3,021
Rewards Points: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Ret Electrician View Post
One good use for a tic is tracing a circuit in an attic full of romex.
Just have a helper switch the breaker off and on as you drag the tic along the wire.
Another way is by using a toner on the wire when there is no power (or it will fry the toner). This has been an awesome new tool in my armory! And I learned it from the homies at electrician talk. Thanks Telsa!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
telsa likes this.

Last edited by zac; 12-14-2016 at 12:29 AM.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-14-2016, 02:19 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 14,054
Rewards Points: 26,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Another way is by using a toner on the wire when there is no power (or it will fry the toner). This has been an awesome new tool in my armory! And I learned it from the homies at electrician talk. Thanks Telsa!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Years ago, I brought my toner and wand to a commercial construction site run by my buddy. ( a 60,000 sf grocer, new build )

After 35 years in the trade -- his eyes bugged out.

He'd seen them before. It just never occurred to him that the kit used by the low voltage boys -- the telecom crews -- would be applicable to his circuits.

The next time I dropped in, he had two brand new sets. He put them on the boss's tab. Heh.

[ He had blanket authority at the supply house, but of course. ]

A toner and wand set up means that you can solve most circuits at low, low power.

You can work 100% faster around harmless conductors.

And you never 'let the smoke out', either.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 AM   #45
zac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 3,021
Rewards Points: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Years ago, I brought my toner and wand to a commercial construction site run by my buddy. ( a 60,000 sf grocer, new build )

After 35 years in the trade -- his eyes bugged out.

He'd seen them before. It just never occurred to him that the kit used by the low voltage boys -- the telecom crews -- would be applicable to his circuits.

The next time I dropped in, he had two brand new sets. He put them on the boss's tab. Heh.

[ He had blanket authority at the supply house, but of course. ]

A toner and wand set up means that you can solve most circuits at low, low power.

You can work 100% faster around harmless conductors.

And you never 'let the smoke out', either.
Unless you accidentally energize the circuit like I did! None the less it's (the transmitter) been gladly replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
telsa and splatz like this.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #46
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,699
Rewards Points: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Unless you accidentally energize the circuit like I did! None the less it's (the transmitter) been gladly replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Triplett 3388 one costs more but it can be used on 120/240 circuits live, and as a breaker finder.

http://www.triplett.com/shop/fox-hound-hotwire/
zac likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
telsa (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #47
Trained Monkey
 
TheLivingBubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In a van down by the river.
Posts: 334
Rewards Points: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
The Triplett 3388 one costs more but it can be used on 120/240 circuits live, and as a breaker finder.

http://www.triplett.com/shop/fox-hound-hotwire/

I have one, it works, but often times I pick up a lot of Indian music or other radio stations.
splatz likes this.
__________________
When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
TheLivingBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #48
Sparks fly from my finger
 
Jhellwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ottumwa, Ia
Posts: 2,424
Rewards Points: 4,465
Default

From the sounds of the way you are testing it you are seeing ghost voltage. It looks like 120 volt but isn't. You need to get a wiggy or a good solid state version of one. It sounds like the hot is open somewhere.

We'll never mind. I see you found it. You would have found it sooner with a wiggy though
__________________
Murphy's law is a pain in my butt.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhellwig For This Useful Post:
Daniel J Urban (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhellwig View Post
From the sounds of the way you are testing it you are seeing ghost voltage. It looks like 120 volt but isn't. You need to get a wiggy or a good solid state version of one. It sounds like the hot is open somewhere.

We'll never mind. I see you found it. You would have found it sooner with a wiggy though
Yeah I know. I have only been an electrician since 2006 and only in 2014 did I go out on my own. There are plenty of tools that I still need to buy with limited funds. I am still working out a priority list. And of course the tools that I put off I need on the next job while the tools I just bought sit on the shelf...
Daniel J Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #50
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 27,309
Rewards Points: 16,977
Default

To set the record straight. We had lots of toner and wand threads here long before we had any tesla threads . People come , people go.
B-Nabs likes this.
__________________
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
led tape lights dimming. Ctsparky93 Lighting Design 10 03-01-2017 01:37 AM
Recessed LED lights Flicker wncgnet Residential Electrical Forum 9 05-16-2016 10:41 PM
Removing unwanted recessed lights. Woodman General Electrical Discussion 4 05-03-2016 04:56 PM
Dimming LED Lights power General Electrical Discussion 8 04-01-2016 08:06 PM
Hanging heavy lights on a furred wall. Year_Zero General Electrical Discussion 16 02-25-2016 07:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com