Line Diagram question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By B-Nabs
  • 2 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By Ultrafault
  • 1 Post By hardworkingstiff

Old 12-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,070
Default Line Diagram question

Basically I just want to confirm that the answer is A - energized? It sort of stumped me at first, I'm pretty sure its A.. Maybe I'm thinking wrong though, but just want to make sure I am on the right track. Thanks!

Edit: Throwing one more diagram in here!

Answer is Open right?

Just want to confirm that M1 is technically still being energized right? Even though the OL has tripped... The answer should be IS right?

-----

By the way, this is homework. I have over 70 of these! These are just random ones but by you helping me confirm these are right, it'll just let me know that I understand the fundamentals. I'm not looking for anyone to do my homework, not at all! Just want to confirm what I believe is right so I know I'm not getting THEM ALL wrong!

Last edited by JasonCo; 12-04-2016 at 09:45 PM.
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

When a motor overload is tripped, you still have power to the coil. But the circuit is open and the contactor is open.
splatz likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Sounds like you're on the right track. That third question is tricky wording, but I would say that saying it is energized is not entirely inaccurate. It just doesn't have a complete circuit.
just the cowboy and splatz like this.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
When a motor overload is tripped, you still have power to the coil. But the circuit is open and the contactor is open.
You're referring to my 3rd diagram? The answer would still be IS though correct? Because there is no contacts going to the TC switch. The switch is still getting direct power and is still energizing the M1? I mean I know M1 won't be working because the OL protection has opened.. But technically the answer would still be that M1 is being energized?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. That third question is tricky wording, but I would say that saying it is energized is not entirely inaccurate. It just doesn't have a complete circuit.
Yes thank you! It is tricky, exactly what I'm thinking! haha technically it is still being energized, its just a tricky worded question! I'm going to put IS as my answer. Because the motor is still being energized, but it's circuit like you said isn't complete so it won't actually run. Stupid question if I get this wrong!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

Most of the time, those writing the questions don't know crap about wiring. Better to ask if the contactor is closed or if there is current flowing. In the real world, if you were my apprentice and I asked you if the coil was energized, and you said yes. I would say no it's not. Because we would be looking for an open or closed circuit.
hardworkingstiff and emtnut like this.

Last edited by backstay; 12-04-2016 at 10:22 PM.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

I'm going to ask a classmate that has already submitted the homework to see what the answer is, I'll post on here when I get it just if anyone was curious what the school's answer is. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

You're getting better at these ... Keep up the good work !
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 14,714

I think your answer to question 1 is incorrect.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand

Last edited by hardworkingstiff; 12-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
I think your answer to question 1 is incorrect.
CR3 is energized , and therefore contacts closed
Old 12-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
fertilizer distrubuter

Rewards Points: 554

On 3 i would interpret energized as meaning it has a complete circuit and thus is is not energized. I can see your interpretation from the fact that the coil has voltage but given the ambiguity I would not choose that option.
Sparkysquared and Cl906um like this.
Ultrafault is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultrafault For This Useful Post:
Sparkysquared (12-09-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,030

That third one is ambiguous. I'd say the word "energized" is usually used if it's live, even if there's no completed circuit. For example I'd say a receptacle that's live with nothing plugged into it is energized.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
There is nothing even saying what the control voltage is. You are assuming it's 120. Could be 208. Energized is complete working circuit for controls
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
CR3 is energized , and therefore contacts closed
For PL2 to have power, CR3 must be closed (which it is) and M2 must allow power to flow through to PL2. I misread that when M2 O/L drops out, the NC contacts that are feeding PL2 would then close.

So, I see now that when the motor is running, the light is off and when the motor is not running the light is on. (I'm assuming PL stands for Pilot Light).

Thanks.
emtnut likes this.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #15

Thanks for all the help! Still waiting for my classmates response to see what the answer to #3 is! In the mean time, I had a quick question, sort of off topic from line diagrams.

But can Dual-voltage, wye-wound, 9-lead motors be field-connected in delta? No right? I thought that those things are connected in the factory, and in the field it is already preset to delta or wye? But the answer is No?

Edit: Book says "General purpose, 3Phase motors are factory-connected in either a wye or delta configuration" So I'll just go with that and assume No.

Last edited by JasonCo; 12-05-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #16

Alright classmate got back with me, he turned it in and seams to be that the answer is A. What a silly question, I would have put B... Anyways, thanks a lot for your input! A it is
Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
But can Dual-voltage, wye-wound, 9-lead motors be field-connected in delta? No right? I thought that those things are connected in the factory, and in the field it is already preset to delta or wye? But the answer is No?

Edit: Book says "General purpose, 3Phase motors are factory-connected in either a wye or delta configuration" So I'll just go with that and assume No.
They bring out nine leads for a reason Jason. Check this out and keep it handy. Page 3 and 4 will answer your question.

http://www.goevans.com/filesSite/EHB_pgs0803.pdf
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post

If the motor is delta wound, you can field wire it for wye... they do it all the time for a reduced start.
A wye wound motor has the center point bonded internally in the motor, so you you wouldn't be able to delta connect it in the field.

If you want to know more, you should post this in PLCs Motors section.... There are a few guys here that are motor geniuses
Old 12-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
If the motor is delta wound, you can field wire it for wye... they do it all the time for a reduced start.
A wye wound motor has the center point bonded internally in the motor, so you you wouldn't be able to delta connect it in the field.

If you want to know more, you should post this in PLCs Motors section.... There are a few guys here that are motor geniuses
If the motor is a dual voltage motor there will be 6 windings and you can only change between wye and delta if they bring all 12 leads out to the motor junction box. I have installed a number of 9 lead delta motors. With these motors 1 and 12, 2 and 10, 3 and 11 are connected internally with only 1-9 brought out to the motor junction box. With a 9 lead wye motor, 10, 11, and 12 are connected internally and 1-9 brought out to the motor junction box.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #20
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
If the motor is a dual voltage motor there will be 6 windings and you can only change between wye and delta if they bring all 12 leads out to the motor junction box. I have installed a number of 9 lead delta motors. With these motors 1 and 12, 2 and 10, 3 and 11 are connected internally with only 1-9 brought out to the motor junction box. With a 9 lead wye motor, 10, 11, and 12 are connected internally and 1-9 brought out to the motor junction box.
Yes, thanks Don ... I had 12 lead in my head