Load Shedding company - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 698
Default Load Shedding company

http://www.ezesys.com/ Anyone ever use these guys for load shedding applications. I talked to them on the phone and it has 4 inputs and 2 outputs and costs about $500 plus $7 per month if they store your data on the cloud.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

4 in and 2 out? Not sure I could do very much with that.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Well they say it's expandable on the output side and if you're dong much with it you use modbus on the input up to ....i'm thinking 40 devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

We do a lot of work for enernoc, the have a few options, and based in customers ability to shed load, they offer a monthly rebate, provided through utility. Based in load shedding for peak demand. Enernoc provides the equipment, the installation, and monitoring. It's a good deal for customers who can shed load when requested. They can remotely control most any function from gen start, gen transfer. To shedding desired loads.
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Here there are no rebates or assistance available. What you gain is reduction in demand charges.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,172

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
http://www.ezesys.com/ Anyone ever use these guys for load shedding applications. I talked to them on the phone and it has 4 inputs and 2 outputs and costs about $500 plus $7 per month if they store your data on the cloud.
From a hardware standpoint you could get more capability than that with a Smart Relay for a little over $100. Some of them have pre-made software routines that you could implement, but for the most part you'd have to do your own programming. So that's really what you are paying for from this outfit, the software interface they developed. That hardware is worth maybe $50. The big question with things like this is, where will they be in 2 years? 5? 10?

As an example, just a few years ago a LOT of people in the Solar Generation biz began moving away from using industry standard SCADA software packages and moved over to a glitzy and cheap "cloud based" sofware SCADA system called "Fat Spaniel". But because Fat Spaniel gave everything away cheap, they didn't have enough money to stay in business. Now their remaining assets and IP have been scarfed up by a bigger company who has no interest in supporting old customers who were paying too little for the services. So all that "cheap" software is unsupported; everyone who bought into it is now their own tech support department, and THAT is costing them big time.
garfield (04-19-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #7

How long would it take me to learn to program the smart relay? It seems like the charts, web based control etc would have some perceived value to the customer. I wish I could have that functionality just on a pc. I was looking at Brayden Automation's website but haven't called them.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
From a hardware standpoint you could get more capability than that with a Smart Relay for a little over $100. Some of them have pre-made software routines that you could implement, but for the most part you'd have to do your own programming. So that's really what you are paying for from this outfit, the software interface they developed. That hardware is worth maybe $50. The big question with things like this is, where will they be in 2 years? 5? 10?

As an example, just a few years ago a LOT of people in the Solar Generation biz began moving away from using industry standard SCADA software packages and moved over to a glitzy and cheap "cloud based" sofware SCADA system called "Fat Spaniel". But because Fat Spaniel gave everything away cheap, they didn't have enough money to stay in business. Now their remaining assets and IP have been scarfed up by a bigger company who has no interest in supporting old customers who were paying too little for the services. So all that "cheap" software is unsupported; everyone who bought into it is now their own tech support department, and THAT is costing them big time.

Well, I'm back to this and hoping to get advice on a starting point to learn a system and which system do I want to learn. I have a supply house that's pretty helpful with Siemens and reasonably priced.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
Well, I'm back to this and hoping to get advice on a starting point to learn a system and which system do I want to learn. I have a supply house that's pretty helpful with Siemens and reasonably priced.
Then look at the Siemens LOGO! (the exclamation point is actually part of the product name...). A base unit with I think 8 in and 4 relay outputs is around $100+ and if your supplier is good, they will occasionally have classes on programming in which you pay for the class and get a relay for free along with the software and cables etc. You can program them from the front keypad, but it's a little odd and hard to get used to. Buy the software, it lets you program with mouse clicks on graphic icons, or ladder diagrams if you understand that easier. It also allows you to print out the program which is good for later on. I believe the LOGO also offers free pre-programmed applications that you can download from a website that have load shedding options etc.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
jza
Mad as Hell Member

Rewards Points: 2,318

The hell is load shedding?
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza View Post
The hell is load shedding?
You look at your loads and decide what is important and what is not, then set up a controller to monitor the overall power consumption. When you start to approach some level of power consumption that is going to trigger a higher cost, like a Peak Demand Penalty, you turn off, or "shed", non-essential loads to avoid the penalty or surcharge. Like an animal sheds it's coat when it no longer needs it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I hate load shedding. Hair all through the panels. It's a mess.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
JRaef (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,263

I perform load shedding every morning around 6:30 am or so.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
JRaef (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I hate load shedding. Hair all through the panels. It's a mess.
Then I have a load shedding tape to pick it up so I can able look in the panel better.

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Yah, i drop a big load every other day.

Hooked up a household generator that had relays to shed the AC units.
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote