Electrician Talk banner

Local offer

5K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  ElectricalJoe 
#1 ·
Got a job offer for union CE. I am working non union and it's not going toward a minute of my JM license. It's a little pay cut, about 2 bucks an hour. I will still be able to join the apprentice program once I pass my test and interview.

So my real question is, should I take the pay cut, get my foot in the door, and wait for my test. Or should I just wait til I can go take the test and go straight into apprenticeship? I have 8 months of experience and about 1700 hours.

#4 ·
It's an absolutely horrible idea made by the IO in order to get more dues money coming in.

You know all that stuff the IBEW has been saying about highly skilled workers deserving a good pay and benefits package?

Well, what the IBEW is made a program full of less trained workers with a significantly lower pay rate and benefits package. They allow these workers on jobs in "A" journeyman positions.

The point, as they say is to gain marketshare. But in reality, it's to get more dues paying IBEW members for the IO.

It simply makes no sense, the IBEW did exactly what they said they would never do and have always fought against. They gave it all back...

Some locals, such as my own, didn't adopt the CE/CW program like the IO intended. Basically, it's just the old "B" program in which the lower paid workers can only work on small works jobs, or residential. That's fine.

But many locals adopted the full CE/CW program, and right now there are CE/CW workers on large jobs doing the work of "A" journeyman in which they are not trained to do, and they are getting paid far less.

#6 ·
Haxwoper said:
It's an absolutely horrible idea made by the IO in order to get more dues money coming in. You know all that stuff the IBEW has been saying about highly skilled workers deserving a good pay and benefits package? Well, what the IBEW is made a program full of less trained workers with a significantly lower pay rate and benefits package. They allow these workers on jobs in "A" journeyman positions. The point, as they say is to gain marketshare. But in reality, it's to get more dues paying IBEW members for the IO. It simply makes no sense, the IBEW did exactly what they said they would never do and have always fought against. They gave it all back... Some locals, such as my own, didn't adopt the CE/CW program like the IO intended. Basically, it's just the old "B" program in which the lower paid workers can only work on small works jobs, or residential. That's fine. But many locals adopted the full CE/CW program, and right now there are CE/CW workers on large jobs doing the work of "A" journeyman in which they are not trained to do, and they are getting paid far less.
Kinda like local 3s "m" division?

#7 · (Edited)
I did it as a second year up north for a while maybe 6 mo until everyone was laid off...then was offered into the program...but had already had to move to find work when offer came.
The benefits were decent..full blue cross and some of the retirement opportunities seemed to be the same as the members..also you do get punched up accordingly..but I think it would only be good temporarily and if you were just starting out.. basically just to prove your self that you want in. But be ready to take some shlt from members..

#9 ·
I really like that quote! Where I am currently working is deadend. There's a handful of guys making 16-17 bucks an hour when here JM rate is 28 bucks. I have a list of questions I'm going to ask before I say yes or no. I appreciate all input. I know I want to stick with electrical. I'm not for or against union, but no non union jobs offer anything in my experience. Even though I know more than half the 4th years I worked with.

#10 ·
[QUOTE="ElectricalJoe;1183761" Even though I know more than half the 4th years I worked with.[/QUOTE]

4square said...

At 8 months? I understand what I think you mean about the other guys but careful with that mindset...
My father in laws been at it 40 years and still learn something everyday
It's definatly easier to think you know than to know.. not being a-hole
Just trying to help

#11 ·
4SQUARE said:
[QUOTE="ElectricalJoe;1183761" Even though I know more than half the 4th years I worked with.
4square said... At 8 months? I understand what I think you mean about the other guys but careful with that mindset... My father in laws been at it 40 years and still learn something everyday It's definatly easier to think you know than to know.. not being a-hole Just trying to help[/QUOTE]

I completely understand. But these guys may have known code Better than me, but as for work, I pooed on em. The can't grasp the concept of deductions and level and measuring. Even the foremen would rather have me work in high traffic areas. I am definitely respectful to everyone I work with. Well almost. Haha.

#13 ·
That is exactly why I got out of the union back in 1990. local 26 in the Northern Virginia/DC area. Didn't find that out till about a year and a half into it. They definitely loved the contractors more than the members. But like you said I did learn a lot from most of the guys I worked with.

#15 ·
Okay so I didn't take the CE job offer. The guy I talked to sounded like he was against me taking it with my current position. But with that, I got m letter for my aptitude test. Can anyone give me some in sight on what I can expect? Basic knowledge stuff or electrical stuff? I took the exam for BNSF and passed that one. Does anyone know if they're comparable?

#25 ·
No Harry, I didn't ask what's in it for them. I explained the reasoning for CE/CW. And I think my reasoning is more accurate than your conspiracy theory.

You know absolutely nothing about the CE/CW program and very little about the IBEW IO. You just copied an pasted your anti-liberal rant and typed in a new target.

#40 ·
what is your career goal? is it to be a union electrician? there are so many options in the electrical trade evaluate your goal maybe that will help make your decisions. I assume BNSF is the railroad nothing wrong with that either

#42 ·
sbrn33 said:
Joe, why is your time not counting towards your J-man license? I thought Kanasa was a lot like NE? It would here. Are you not working for an above the board contractor? Very rare that someone with 8 months experience know as much as he thinks he does.
I'm working at a factory that does nothing by the code, or OSHA, or common knowledge. Haha. And I don't want to sound cocky by anymeans, but I just have a better common sense than most around here b

#43 ·
Lep said:
what is your career goal? is it to be a union electrician? there are so many options in the electrical trade evaluate your goal maybe that will help make your decisions. I assume BNSF is the railroad nothing wrong with that either
My long term goal is to own my own small business and rental homes. I just need my foot in the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.