Electrician Talk banner

Looking for a device to let me know when a circuit trips or goes bad

4K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  VELOCI3 
#1 ·
I recently installed a shed in my backyard. I ran power and lighting into it, put my deep freezer in there. Now with technology today I'm pretty sure there's something out there that would notify you on your phone if a circuit trips. In other words, lets say I put a certain device into my outlet before the I plug in my freezer, now it detects wether its getting power or not. As long as there Wi-Fi signal in there it'll let me know if the freezer is running. So any ideas on what should search for? Thanks for the replies in advance.

#2 ·
Anything like that will only let you know that there is power to the circuit; does not mean your freezer is running. You throw your garden rake in there and unplug the freezer, the unit on the receptacle will be fine, but your food will still defrost.

I think I would be looking at some sort of temperature alarm on / in the freezer if it is that important.

Cheers
John

#7 ·
How often do you monitor the freezer in your house? Hourly or when you go to the freezer to get something like the rest of us?

Get a cheapo wi-fi anything that plugs in and can notify your smart phone when it loses power. Maybe a camera that you can point at the little orange light on your freezer......:biggrin:

#8 · (Edited)
There are plenty of solutions, start HERE then go to here HERE.

I used the first link to control a switched receptacle I got off of Amazon to turn on at -9C to keep the pipes from freezing and off at -8C to save energy. It even let's me know on my apple watch when it was turned off/on. :biggrin:

And no, that's not our beloved @99cents in the video:

#9 ·
The problem with monitoring power use alone is that your fridge or freezer does not run 100% of the time, it cycles on and off. So there is no way to tell the difference if it’s just looking at power flow. You could however get an internet connected I//O device and wire up a relay to the breaker circuit that is closed all of the time when the circuit is hot. But that would have to be powered by a different circuit and probably have a battery backup in case your entire sub panel feeder trips.

It’s just easier to use a temperature reporting device. That’s what you really want to know anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.