Manufactured Home Codes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree18Likes

Old 06-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default Manufactured Home Codes

I had a customer this week that I set up the service for a 2016 model mobile home. These things have come a long way since the little single wide my uncle lived in when I was a kid. Anyhow, I noticed a few things that stuck out in my head. There was not one arc-fault device in the whole house. There was not one tamper proof receptacle anywhere. How come if I wire a house I get gigged by the inspector if I dont have a GFI in some goofy place (like the garage door opener) but these homes are exempt from the same rules? It seems to me if codes are written to keep people safe then are people who buy mobile homes not important enough to be safe like site built home people? It's like some huge double standard.
smorkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkle View Post
I had a customer this week that I set up the service for a 2016 model mobile home. These things have come a long way since the little single wide my uncle lived in when I was a kid. Anyhow, I noticed a few things that stuck out in my head. There was not one arc-fault device in the whole house. There was not one tamper proof receptacle anywhere. How come if I wire a house I get gigged by the inspector if I dont have a GFI in some goofy place (like the garage door opener) but these homes are exempt from the same rules? It seems to me if codes are written to keep people safe then are people who buy mobile homes not important enough to be safe like site built home people? It's like some huge double standard.

When you're right, you're right.

It's a double standard... a double-wide standard.

Last I looked, these installs are under the standards authority of HUD.

Yes, the Feds have over-jumped all local AHJ.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,462

That manufactured home was wired in some factory far far away where it isn't required. The only wiring that gets inspected with any REAL inspections is when they set it on someone's property, and you hook up the service to it.
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #4

I know it's manufactured in a plant somewhere, but it is STILL under the jurisdiction of the National Electrical Code. I understand HUD has a hand in the whole process but it seems like there would still be some continuity in wiring codes. Last I checked, the NEC covered everyone in the US.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 52

Some places don't operate under the current NEC. I wonder if that plays into it
TRurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

First off art 550 & 551 are a departure from normal nec standards , heavily lobbied over time to assume the need for meg tests ,due to inferior materials (that are then transported over miles of frost heaves ,etc)

Secondly would be where they 'set up shop' , usually in unlicensed states , the lowest possible denominator oversight following suit.

Third would be their target market, usually states which have or require no single family inspections .

Last but not least are those middlemen shops who purchase/set up what are commonly coined 'zipper homes' . They usually employ bottom of barrel 'carpenters' ,usually with conditions of parole, bottle in the lunch bucket etc. No tradesman in their right mind makes a career out of stitching a hack together

Having been involved in litigant shenanigans pursuant to a certain manufacturer summarily kicked out of my state ,i can only say if you're an EC document the daylights out of any 'manufactured job' you're handed

~CS~
CT Tom and emtnut like this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Let's not forget that an 'engineer' has stamped the electrical and plumbing design of said mobile home and any variances in code have been left in the dust on that sealed document.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorkle View Post
I know it's manufactured in a plant somewhere, but it is STILL under the jurisdiction of the National Electrical Code. I understand HUD has a hand in the whole process but it seems like there would still be some continuity in wiring codes. Last I checked, the NEC covered everyone in the US.

NOPE.

and

NOPE.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Let's not forget that an 'engineer' has stamped the electrical and plumbing design of said mobile home and any variances in code have been left in the dust on that sealed document.
MDVR has a good point. It's certainly the case up here that a
"professional engineer" has the final say. Not the AHJ. Not the
(OESC) code.
P&L
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
MDVR has a good point. It's certainly the case up here that a
"professional engineer" has the final say. Not the AHJ. Not the
(OESC) code.
P&L
I've looked at some of the completely bogus ways things are done in prefab (mobile) homes that would never fly under normal codes and inspections, very poor designs.
chicken steve likes this.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Retired Account

These really get my goat>

a little research lent to their usage being 'pass thru' , the (usually 14-2) is stripped ,not cut , and pressed in via the back plate.

So anytime you see three 14-2's , it's a cob job

~CS~
readydave8 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (06-25-2016), readydave8 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
These really get my goat>

a little research lent to their usage being 'pass thru' , the (usually 14-2) is stripped ,not cut , and pressed in via the back plate.

So anytime you see three 14-2's , it's a cob job

~CS~
Oh now that is some quality right there.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Retired Account

Yuppy,
these are even better>

In the larger units, one piece makes into the panel , all other home runs are these 'snap together' deals ,which carry the full circuit load through a press in connection.

I 'got into it' with one local shop ,because they were going to bury them all , and i just don't like buried splices

They fired me....

A year later , they hauled the company PE into court , that was one of a multitude of construction related issues

The lawyers solicited me as 'expert witness' against him

Poetic justice, eh?

~CS~
MechanicalDVR and readydave8 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Retired Account

Forgot to add, the local shop was sued out of biz, and the pos that fired me works at HD now .....never asks me if he can help me find anything thou... ~CS~
Old 06-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Forgot to add, the local shop was sued out of biz, and the pos that fired me works at HD now .....never asks me if he can help me find anything thou... ~CS~
If he did offer help I hope you'd advise him he is the last person you'd ask a about anything more than the direction to the men's room.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,208

I suspect that mobile homes being a manufactured product fall under the same category as a troffer with 22 ga. leads. I follow the advice of an old Chicago electrician cerca 1975:

1). Disconnect all 120-volt trailer wiring.
2). Run new surface EMT wiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #17
neutral member

Rewards Points: 632

I see worse in stick built than trailers very often, DIYers of course, but we still have counties without inspections, so often wiring in recently built houses is sometimes horrible.

But I absolutely hate those devices and connectors CS posted, not only prone to fail but often hard to find due to the way circuits skip around
Old 06-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #18

This house I was working in doesn't have those "press-in" receptacles. Every box in the house is a cut-in box with a standard 15A device. Even the light fixtures are cut-in boxes. The guy was wanting to put a couple of ceiling fans up in place of a light and I looked into it and just said no.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 974

Have seen some very nice looking panels in them. Have also seen the old work boxes, the thin outside walls, and the plastic connectors. Most of the time, the connectors were in the attic or basement, so you could replace them with nail ons or four squares. I asked a state inspector about it, why no AFCI or TR receptacles, and he said they had no jurisdiction over them. Tiny panels full of twins with no room for AFCI if modifications or receptacle replacement were done.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Have seen some very nice looking panels in them. Have also seen the old work boxes, the thin outside walls, and the plastic connectors. Most of the time, the connectors were in the attic or basement, so you could replace them with nail ons or four squares. I asked a state inspector about it, why no AFCI or TR receptacles, and he said they had no jurisdiction over them. Tiny panels full of twins with no room for AFCI if modifications or receptacle replacement were done.
Only decent modulars I've seen was a company out of north Jersey that makes modular diners and that type of building. Some of their kitchen electrical work is top of the line but they are basically a custom builder.