Maximum run timer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By Wirenuting
  • 4 Post By splatz

Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 536
Default Maximum run timer

I have a customer who wants to put a timer (30 minutes) on his air compressor so if a hose blows it wont just keep running. I'm thinking maybe an off delay timer, but I dont do this kind of thing very often. Is there something better out there?
John M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26,186

Good grief. Pneumatic hoses are not supposed to be left in a pressured condition in off-hours.

In ordinary use, the system is to be shut down every night and drained.

Otherwise the water build-up will rust out the tank.

Are you sure this dude knows what's up?
electricguy likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,412

Use an on-delay relay set for 30 minutes.

Put the coil in parallel with the power for the compressor starter.

Put the NC contacts in series with the power for the compressor starter, ahead of the starter.

When the power for the compressor comes on, the timer will start.

If it is on for 30 minutes, the NC contacts will open, turning of the compressor.

When power for the compressor starter goes off, it will reset the timer, the NC contacts will close but the compressor will still be off.
Gnome likes this.
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Use an on-delay relay set for 30 minutes.

Put the coil in parallel with the power for the compressor starter.

Put the NC contacts in series with the power for the compressor starter, ahead of the starter.

When the power for the compressor comes on, the timer will start.

If it is on for 30 minutes, the NC contacts will open, turning of the compressor.

When power for the compressor starter goes off, it will reset the timer, the NC contacts will close but the compressor will still be off.

Until the pressure drops below kick on them it runs for 30 minutes again.

Itís harder on the compressor and motor to cycle then it is to just run.
We get run-a-ways often enough that we donít worry about it. The units need to be checked often enough anyway.

He should just turn it off when not needed.
emtnut and telsa like this.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
I have a customer who wants to put a timer (30 minutes) on his air compressor so if a hose blows it wont just keep running. I'm thinking maybe an off delay timer, but I dont do this kind of thing very often. Is there something better out there?
The common setup I have seen is a 2-12hr preset countdown timer controlling a relay interrupting the contactor coil power. Or said timer controlling a 3p contactor on the compressor feed if the compressor is out in its own shed or something.

Come into work for the day, start the timer, set and forget.
ppsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post

Itís harder on the compressor and motor to cycle then it is to just run.
We get run-a-ways often enough that we donít worry about it. The units need to be checked often enough anyway.

He should just turn it off when not needed.
Agreed Wirenuts !

Having the timer hit an 86 relay or a shunt breaker could work.

ppsh's idea is probably the easiest thou.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 780

Wire the coil with the shop lighting circuit. change the coil to 120 volts and direct wire the coil from the lights, or use a small current sensing relay, or use a dp switch, or use a control relay. etc.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
I thought the OP's idea was, if it's running forever and not getting up to pressure, shut it off - there's a hose open or something.

I made a ladder diagram of what I had in mind. After half an hour on the ODR, it closes the NO contacts / opens the NC contacts.

If the pressure goes low and stays low, after half an hour the ODR interrupts power to the compressor off and lights an alarm light.

You'd hit reset, see what's open, and you have half an hour to find what's hissing and fix it.

(BTW, you can make ladder diagrams in <5 minutes with this draw.io thing that @macmikeman showed )
Attached Thumbnails
Maximum run timer-screenshot-2018-12-28-5.26.05-pm.png  

Last edited by splatz; 12-28-2018 at 06:33 PM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
telsa (12-28-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I thought the OP's idea was, if it's running forever and not getting up to pressure, shut it off - there's a hose open or something.

I made a ladder diagram of what I had in mind. After half an hour on the ODR, it closes the NO contacts / opens the NC contacts.

If the pressure goes low and stays low, after half an hour the ODR interrupts power to the compressor off and lights an alarm light.

You'd hit reset, see what's open, and you have half an hour to find what's hissing and fix it.

(BTW, you can make ladder diagrams in <5 minutes with this draw.io thing that @macmikeman showed )

Ok now I see what you mean..

I forgot about the drawing app.. Been a few years since I've used it.