Maximum run timer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By Wirenuting
  • 4 Post By splatz
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 267
Rewards Points: 536
Default Maximum run timer

I have a customer who wants to put a timer (30 minutes) on his air compressor so if a hose blows it wont just keep running. I'm thinking maybe an off delay timer, but I dont do this kind of thing very often. Is there something better out there?
John M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 13,970
Rewards Points: 26,186
Default

Good grief. Pneumatic hoses are not supposed to be left in a pressured condition in off-hours.

In ordinary use, the system is to be shut down every night and drained.

Otherwise the water build-up will rust out the tank.

Are you sure this dude knows what's up?
electricguy likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,507
Rewards Points: 4,412
Default

Use an on-delay relay set for 30 minutes.

Put the coil in parallel with the power for the compressor starter.

Put the NC contacts in series with the power for the compressor starter, ahead of the starter.

When the power for the compressor comes on, the timer will start.

If it is on for 30 minutes, the NC contacts will open, turning of the compressor.

When power for the compressor starter goes off, it will reset the timer, the NC contacts will close but the compressor will still be off.
Gnome likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,966
Rewards Points: 5,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Use an on-delay relay set for 30 minutes.

Put the coil in parallel with the power for the compressor starter.

Put the NC contacts in series with the power for the compressor starter, ahead of the starter.

When the power for the compressor comes on, the timer will start.

If it is on for 30 minutes, the NC contacts will open, turning of the compressor.

When power for the compressor starter goes off, it will reset the timer, the NC contacts will close but the compressor will still be off.

Until the pressure drops below kick on them it runs for 30 minutes again.

Itís harder on the compressor and motor to cycle then it is to just run.
We get run-a-ways often enough that we donít worry about it. The units need to be checked often enough anyway.

He should just turn it off when not needed.
emtnut and telsa like this.
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ppsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 302
Rewards Points: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
I have a customer who wants to put a timer (30 minutes) on his air compressor so if a hose blows it wont just keep running. I'm thinking maybe an off delay timer, but I dont do this kind of thing very often. Is there something better out there?
The common setup I have seen is a 2-12hr preset countdown timer controlling a relay interrupting the contactor coil power. Or said timer controlling a 3p contactor on the compressor feed if the compressor is out in its own shed or something.

Come into work for the day, start the timer, set and forget.
ppsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,828
Rewards Points: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
Until the pressure drops below kick on them it runs for 30 minutes again.

Itís harder on the compressor and motor to cycle then it is to just run.
We get run-a-ways often enough that we donít worry about it. The units need to be checked often enough anyway.

He should just turn it off when not needed.
Agreed Wirenuts !

Having the timer hit an 86 relay or a shunt breaker could work.

ppsh's idea is probably the easiest thou.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: rural mn
Posts: 386
Rewards Points: 780
Default

Wire the coil with the shop lighting circuit. change the coil to 120 volts and direct wire the coil from the lights, or use a small current sensing relay, or use a dp switch, or use a control relay. etc.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,507
Rewards Points: 4,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
Until the pressure drops below kick on them it runs for 30 minutes again.
I thought the OP's idea was, if it's running forever and not getting up to pressure, shut it off - there's a hose open or something.

I made a ladder diagram of what I had in mind. After half an hour on the ODR, it closes the NO contacts / opens the NC contacts.

If the pressure goes low and stays low, after half an hour the ODR interrupts power to the compressor off and lights an alarm light.

You'd hit reset, see what's open, and you have half an hour to find what's hissing and fix it.

(BTW, you can make ladder diagrams in <5 minutes with this draw.io thing that @macmikeman showed )
Attached Thumbnails
Maximum run timer-screenshot-2018-12-28-5.26.05-pm.png  

__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler

Last edited by splatz; 12-28-2018 at 06:33 PM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
telsa (12-28-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,966
Rewards Points: 5,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I thought the OP's idea was, if it's running forever and not getting up to pressure, shut it off - there's a hose open or something.

I made a ladder diagram of what I had in mind. After half an hour on the ODR, it closes the NO contacts / opens the NC contacts.

If the pressure goes low and stays low, after half an hour the ODR interrupts power to the compressor off and lights an alarm light.

You'd hit reset, see what's open, and you have half an hour to find what's hissing and fix it.

(BTW, you can make ladder diagrams in <5 minutes with this draw.io thing that @macmikeman showed )

Ok now I see what you mean..

I forgot about the drawing app.. Been a few years since I've used it.
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Wiring a 7 day digital timer david999 General Electrical Discussion 11 11-23-2018 02:23 PM
Normally Closed Timer Switch sabre170 General Electrical Discussion 4 01-26-2018 10:06 PM
timer hardworkingstiff Tools, Equipment and New Products 28 04-20-2017 08:17 PM
Switch Time clock to Orbit Sprinkler Timer The_notorious_Rookie Residential Electrical Forum 21 08-23-2016 10:33 AM
Simple timer with two functions farlsincharge PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls 12 02-23-2016 08:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com