May go to school - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default May go to school

Hello. Just a few questions for the experienced.
I am laid off 52 Y/O and have a chance to go to school. Any advice for my age? Is the math and NEC code test hard? My math is sometimes lacking.
School options are New Castle school of trades in PA And Rosedale Tech. in PA also. Really need advice. And job availability/job security in this field?

Thanks all
cody11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,888

Electrical is projected to grow 14% in the next 10 years, there is plenty of security in the field. It's hard on the body though.

You're going to need to learn basic algebra and some trig for electrical, nothing too hard. It's not as though you have to study differential equations or linear algebra to get into the field.

NEC test difficulty varies from state to state but I doubt any state is that easy. My state is very difficult, I forget the numbers but something like 3/4 fail on the first try.
cody11 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 31

Be ready to be a glorified laborer for the first year or less depending on how fast you learn and how much hand digging your boss does. Awesome field if you are mechanical and love being on the cutting edge of the trades.
Indman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Indman For This Useful Post:
cody11 (04-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Plc View Post
Electrical is projected to grow 14% in the next 10 years, there is plenty of security in the field. It's hard on the body though.

You're going to need to learn basic algebra and some trig for electrical, nothing too hard. It's not as though you have to study differential equations or linear algebra to get into the field.

NEC test difficulty varies from state to state but I doubt any state is that easy. My state is very difficult, I forget the numbers but something like 3/4 fail on the first try.
I live in PA but not sure how they test. Is it open book? Thanks!
cody11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 256

Is Penn Fosters electronic degree maybe a better path? Obviously not knowing your background electrical can be hard labor..
theJcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJcK View Post
Is Penn Fosters electronic degree maybe a better path? Obviously not knowing your background electrical can be hard labor..
A 2 year electronics degree can get you employment. Better employment than many 4 year bachelors degree.

If it's a 4 year electronics degree I wouldn't go for it. Electronics is a dying field.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 31

PA does testing by municipality.. It's a pita. What's the nearest big city to you? I'm in the philly area.
Indman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 508

Sounds like he's close to Pittsburgh. And yes, the Burgh has a city license. I've been looking at relocating there, and the city also has its own boiler and refrigeration licenses.
millelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 202

As long as you complain about about everything from hours, wages, responsibilities, you name it...
You'll fit in with any work crew.
Ninety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninety For This Useful Post:
Indman (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
A 2 year electronics degree can get you employment. Better employment than many 4 year bachelors degree.

If it's a 4 year electronics degree I wouldn't go for it. Electronics is a dying field.
Its a diploma at your own pace which you have a year to complete if I understood the young lady this morning correctly... most finish in 7 months. It may be a path to OT..
Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Its a diploma at your own pace which you have a year to complete if I understood the young lady this morning correctly... most finish in 7 months. It may be a path to OT..
Huh. That's odd. I've never read about stuff like that, what do you mean by a path to OT?
Old 04-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

Operational Technologies.. the moving pieces of smart buildings.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 26,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody11 View Post
Hello. Just a few questions for the experienced.
I am laid off 52 Y/O and have a chance to go to school. Any advice for my age? Is the math and NEC code test hard? My math is sometimes lacking.
School options are New Castle school of trades in PA And Rosedale Tech. in PA also. Really need advice. And job availability/job security in this field?

Thanks all
You quest ought to start with "What Color is My Parachute ?"

http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-You...s+my+parachute

&&&&&&

Some of the specific skills required that don't pop into the heads of non-electricians:

Must have full color vision.

Presbyopia works monumentally against you. This commonly kicks in at your age.

A new guy with presbyopia will have problems in our trade.

Fingers must be nimble. Our trade does not suffer fumbles. Hence arthritis is ruinous.

You must not have gout. It's a career ender for electricians.

Our trade takes quite a toll on the body: the knees, lower back, and wrists take a pounding over the years.

Weight... if you're 'heavy' -- and 52 -- stay away.

You'll see a lot of over weight electrical foremen. They got that way by being very active and athletic when young -- and then getting injured.

It's at that point they balloon up like King Henry VIII.

( Yes, he became rotund because he couldn't be active any more. Before his injury, he had an Olympic physique. The gals adored him, the guys wanted to be like him. )

You might prefer to be an AutoCAD screen scroller -- an office job in our trade.

You might have the back ground to be a Project Manager... half honcho, half salesmen.

Have you thought about marrying into money ?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 110

In my experience I would recommend trying to land a job first. Get yourself a few books and do some reading and studying on your own. Call around to local companies and see if they are interviewing for apprentices or helpers. I worked in this field for a bit in CO and now in PA. PA has very little requirements on formal education compared to other places. Plus, weather or not you go to school your going to be the ditch digging, trash and wire pulling bit** when you start. Might as well see if your cut out for it first. If you do land a job ask a lot of questions and be the first to take initiative to help when needed. If your lucky you will work under someone smart that will try to teach you and help you succeed. Best Regards-
AmishCountrySparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Operational Technologies.. the moving pieces of smart buildings.
Oh, nifty. Is that a profitable area of employment?
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh, nifty. Is that a profitable area of employment?
Im thinking its a cusp type thing at the moment but something to consider.. I remember reading an article in Retrofit magazine about how its going to eclipse IT in near future.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Im thinking its a cusp type thing at the moment but something to consider.. I remember reading an article in Retrofit magazine about how its going to eclipse IT in near future.
Awesome man, thanks for the heads up. I'll read up on it tonight.
theJcK (04-04-2016)