mercury contactors - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JRaef

Old 03-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 630
Default mercury contactors

this may be a stupid ? but can the above be used to start electric motors? know you need overloads.but can they be used as starters for motors if they are rated for the load?
circuitman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,594

Short answer: Yes

Eons ago mercury contactors were used as starters and contactors for many things. In the past they were used a lot on industrial heating applications because of their long contact life in high cyclic use.

Is this something existing or did you find something in the junk pile? I have not seen any new mercury contactors in years. Solid state relays have taken their place in heating applications. VFDs and soft starts have taken over their use for motor control.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to varmit For This Useful Post:
circuitman1 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,580

Any applications for mercury relays I have seen were OLD. I would think any new applications would be closely regulated.
circuitman1 (03-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,636

I've seen them used about decade ago in pizza ovens at Little Caesars pizza.
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
circuitman1 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #5

thanks for the quick reply varmit!also thanks bird dog,& brian john wellllll! i found these at the junk yard , bought them for about 35 cent a pound.think i paid less than $10 for 7 of them. they were running some heating elements.love to frequent the yard.bought an 80 gallon air compressor for $135. had motor , compressor,& tank. need to add a few things.he had had it for a while, wouldn't let it go. so i kept asking. he give in finally & said"what parts do you want?"i said all of it, all 293#'s of it.just gotta add a few parts.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,038

The reason you were able to buy them so cheap is because you have to pay to dispose of them. Mercury is highly highly toxic and concentrates in the environment. It's banned in most countries, but not here, yet here if you have it and want to get rid of it, you must take it to a hazmat disposal site and pay. Your seller found an alternative...he kicked the can down the road to you.
telsa likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #7

your most likely right, but i noticed there still widely avaliable. seem to be used a lot. also see they have been outlawed in a lot of states. know mercury is very hazardous , but so are other things. if handled correctly not so bad.