A message to DIYers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree58Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 19,904
Rewards Points: 10,169
Default A message to DIYers

This is not a site for DIYers, it's a site for electrical contractors, electricians and apprentices. If you're looking for advice, you came to the wrong place. Your thread will be locked.

While I won't give specific advice, I will give you general advice as a renovation electrician. My first piece of advice if you're attempting your own wiring is brutal. Please avoid being stupid. If you're not good with tools and not technically inclined, do things like painting that won't endanger your family and kill your dog. If you feel your gifted enough to do it, do your research. That can be complicated. Do it yourself boards tend to be the blind leading the blind and Youtube can be a disaster. As well, codes change and what was good two years ago may not fly now.

I could give you a list of hundreds of things I have seen on renovation jobs that that were 100% wrong. I had a customer once who told me he wanted everything done right because he wanted to know his wife and baby (and dog) were safe when he was at work. I like guys like that. If you don't have the same attitude then, like I say, stick to painting.

Lastly, if you still want to do it, pull a homeowner's permit and get it inspected. I just spent four days bringing the wiring up to code in a house. It went up for sale and my costs came directly off the selling price. Pay me now or pay me later. A simple enquiry to the city will provide a permit and inspection history. Besides lowering your selling price, your insurance company will fight you if your wiring is suspect (after your wife, baby and dog are dead).

'Nuff said. I need to go to work now and fix up screw ups.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (05-14-2018)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Russian Bot
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,323
Rewards Points: 3,877
Default

Somebody is hangry this morning.
__________________
Alright, Alright, Alright... I'll tell you what to do. Go that way, reeeeeeeeeally fast. If something gets in your way......turn.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 19,904
Rewards Points: 10,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Somebody is hangry this morning.
I'm always hangry when I see dumb chit even though I make money on it. On this job, the original contractor pulled a future circuit for the dishwasher. He terminated it in a box and labeled it. The homeowner used it for basement wiring. Then he put an extension cord on his dishwasher, drilled a hole through the countertop and plugged it into a kitchen receptacle. Then he fed his washer off his dryer circuit, a 15 amp receptacle on a 30 amp breaker.

Last edited by 99cents; 05-14-2018 at 07:39 AM.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Russian Bot
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,323
Rewards Points: 3,877
Default

Stupid way to do it, but sounds code compliant.

If you're making money of them, then why not let them screw things up.


What you see at the resi level, is nothing compared to corporate DIY's that I deal with.

I gave up preaching to them, now I enjoy their checks going into my account more.
__________________
Alright, Alright, Alright... I'll tell you what to do. Go that way, reeeeeeeeeally fast. If something gets in your way......turn.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Russian Bot
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 3,323
Rewards Points: 3,877
Default

I think the worst are pizza joints and real estate management companies.
__________________
Alright, Alright, Alright... I'll tell you what to do. Go that way, reeeeeeeeeally fast. If something gets in your way......turn.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,129
Rewards Points: 7,520
Default

This thread should be a sticky
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
:-)
 
daveEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,664
Rewards Points: 2,372
Default

Funny. Must have women problems this morning.

I've fixed lots of stuff in my time. Most of it not dangerous. Just shabby like some of Mech's picture threads.

I always feel good about it and then there is the money.

The do it your-selfers won't be reading this thread.
__________________
<<
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Stupid way to do it, but sounds code compliant.

If you're making money of them, then why not let them screw things up.


What you see at the resi level, is nothing compared to corporate DIY's that I deal with.

I gave up preaching to them, now I enjoy their checks going into my account more.
Bravo!

Here here!
brian john likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
I think the worst are pizza joints and real estate management companies.
Maybe where you are they are bad.

The only real hack stuff I've seen in pizza places is lighting the immigrant owners have installed with 18ga extensions cords in and out of the drop ceiling.

Oh and that one extra chest freezer in the men's room run on the 150' 16ga cord.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,001
Rewards Points: 412
Default

Amazing the number of people that are terrified of getting poo on their hands so they hire a plumber, are willing to risk burning down their house by doing their own wiring.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
Amazing the number of people that are terrified of getting poo on their hands so they hire a plumber, are willing to risk burning down their house by doing their own wiring.
Well stated brother!
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
:-)
 
daveEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,664
Rewards Points: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Maybe where you are they are bad.

The only real hack stuff I've seen in pizza places is lighting the immigrant owners have installed with 18ga extensions cords in and out of the drop ceiling.
.
I actually fixed such a place.

I think they see their chandeliers at home and figure it's ok. They of course run 20, 30 feet in the ceiling space to get to the j-box.

@99cents should post his post on the DIY forum. Yeah, that's where it should be posted. I might even join up there for the entertainment.
__________________
<<
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
MTW
Senior Member
 
MTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 13,884
Rewards Points: 6,908
Default

People have the right to do what they want in their own homes with the need for permits and inspections, and should not be required to use professionals under any circumstances. For instance, Australia's anti-DIY law is an exercise is tyranny and has no place in free societies.
brian john and flyboy like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
brian john (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
I actually fixed such a place.

I think they see their chandeliers at home and figure it's ok. They of course run 20, 30 feet in the ceiling space to get to the j-box.
My favorite are the guys that want the tiles to lay flat in the grid so they saw a slot in the wall angle to get the cord flush to the wall and don't mind slicing it on their rough cut.
daveEM likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
FaultCurrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: California
Posts: 461
Rewards Points: 861
Default

IMHO the worst non-residential work is found in Churches and bars.

Volunteer work is responsible for the huge amount of hack work I've seen at the local parish. Somehow thinking you are working under God's good graces means it's OK to use zip cord and romex. And layers of bad work done by well meaning but hopeless volunteers make looking in the ceiling of the community room a nightmare.

Bars are the absolute worst in butchery. Every patron that thinks he's an electrician and offers to help the bartender with that plug for the new jukebox in exchange for a few belts, and then staples up romex behind the bar, should be shot. I once went to a topless bar where the girls complained about the lighting. OMFG. All the stage lights, spinners, mirror balls, whatever had an individual orange extension cord up in the ceiling with the female end hanging down through the ceiling. Behind the DJ booth they had a chase where all 50 or so cords came down with the plugs cut off and run into 6 gang switch boxes. Then more orange cords back to a panel. Those cords were hotter than the girls. Naturally the bartender offered free pitchers of beer to the 2 guys we had running the repair job.

Incidentally I found the local ABC laws prevent any man from entering the girls dressing room when occupied. And for all the dummies who get drunk and throw 20 dollar bills at the dancers, they just hand them over to their biker boyfriends when they pick the girls up after they get off.
sbrn33 and telsa like this.
__________________
At it since 1971 and still going....kind of.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
People have the right to do what they want in their own homes with the need for permits and inspections, and should not be required to use professionals under any circumstances. For instance, Australia's anti-DIY law is an exercise is tyranny and has no place in free societies.
Is anyone arguing that point?

The point is they really don't belong on this site expecting professionals that do this work for a living to give them the advice to do it themselves.

Or jeopardize the license of the pro here giving them advice they don't take to fully if and when a problem occurs.
Bird dog likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaultCurrent View Post
IMHO the worst non-residential work is found in Churches and bars.

Volunteer work is responsible for the huge amount of hack work I've seen at the local parish. Somehow thinking you are working under God's good graces means it's OK to use zip cord and romex. And layers of bad work done by well meaning but hopeless volunteers make looking in the ceiling of the community room a nightmare.

Bars are the absolute worst in butchery. Every patron that thinks he's an electrician and offers to help the bartender with that plug for the new jukebox in exchange for a few belts, and then staples up romex behind the bar, should be shot. I once went to a topless bar where the girls complained about the lighting. OMFG. All the stage lights, spinners, mirror balls, whatever had an individual orange extension cord up in the ceiling with the female end hanging down through the ceiling. Behind the DJ booth they had a chase where all 50 or so cords came down with the plugs cut off and run into 6 gang switch boxes. Then more orange cords back to a panel. Those cords were hotter than the girls. Naturally the bartender offered free pitchers of beer to the 2 guys we had running the repair job.

Incidentally I found the local ABC laws prevent any man from entering the girls dressing room when occupied. And for all the dummies who get drunk and throw 20 dollar bills at the dancers, they just hand them over to their biker boyfriends when they pick the girls up after they get off.
Is there anyone here that wasn't aware of this fact?
FaultCurrent likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #18
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26,237
Rewards Points: 14,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Is there anyone here that wasn't aware of this fact?
Are you telling me that there are places that have bars where women take off their clothes and dance around on stages? Oh my!
__________________
[inappropriate signature removed]
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Are you telling me that there are places that have bars where women take off their clothes and dance around on stages? Oh my!
You mean other than the 'game room' I had in my basement at my beach house in NJ?

Yeah there are plenty out there for guys with no game.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 3,228
Rewards Points: 6,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Is there anyone here that wasn't aware of this fact?
I wasn't aware that anybody who drinks at one of those establishments could still afford to toss out $20's.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com