Milwaukee V28 drill - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By garfield

Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 652
Default Milwaukee V28 drill

So here is a funny situation regarding my (2) Milwaukee V28 drills... they are about 7-8 yrs old but have minimal use as I've used other drills I've owned during work....I had to order (2) new batteries M28 because the V28's couldn't hold a charge anymore understandably.

I keep 1 drill in the van the other in my gang box as a backup.... Doing light work one day the drill blows up to my surprise. I send it to Milwaukee for the lightning max repair for 149- they send me a brand new M28 which I was happy about ..the new M28 now is my backup and I rotate the V28 to my Van.

About 2 weeks later ....Guess what ?

The V28 Blows up and literally catches fire in my hand.... both drills were in excellent shape... this can't be a coincidence! I'm thinking the new M28 batteries are not working for old V28 drills even though they are designed to work with them.... I'm dying to see how Milwaukee E-service responds to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WronGun; 12-31-2016 at 11:04 PM.
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 952

Glad you weren't hurt at all. Keep us informed.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
nbb

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
So here is a funny situation regarding my (2) Milwaukee V28 drills... they are about 7-8 yrs old but have minimal use as I've used other drills I've owned during work....I had to order (2) new batteries M28 because the V28's couldn't hold a charge anymore understandably.

I keep 1 drill in the van the other in my gang box as a backup.... Doing light work one day the drill blows up to my surprise. I send it to Milwaukee for the lightning max repair for 149- they send me a brand new M28 which I was happy about ..the new M28 now is my backup and I rotate the V28 to my Van.

About 2 weeks later ....Guess what ?

The V28 Blows up and literally catches fire in my hand.... both drills were in excellent shape... this can't be a coincidence! I'm thinking the new M28 batteries are not working for old V28 drills even though they are designed to work with them.... I'm dying to see how Milwaukee E-service responds to this

This seems like a thread more suited for the tools subforum.

That said, it does seem like an odd coincidence. I am not familiar with Milwaukee's 28v line. Does the M28 pack slide right on to the tool, with no adapter needed?

Only thing I could think is that there are pins crossed. On the M18 pack, there is circuitry that disconnects the cells from the pins if there is an overcurrent detected.

Surely that is built in to the M28 packs as well? I would think that current necessary to start a fire would qualify.

Another thing is that the tool and battery are supposed to "communicate" I'm assuming the battery has certain modes that change how much current the tool can handle without overheating. I'm sure your V28 tool lacks this circuitry, and perhaps the M28 pack is supposed to fall back to a low current default mode. Something might have went wrong in that transition, and the pack was able to deliver the full capability of the cell, which is 25 amps if it is the 18650 25R like they use in the M18 packs.

This is all speculation on my part, just throwing out ideas of what might have went wrong. I hope that you find an answer and that the problem is resolved easily. Keep us updated.
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 02:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,276

I would not worry to much about it. When you start that 16 bed tanning salon just charge that into the job.
Majewski likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:20 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,643

I don't know why you bought two new 28V batteries and spent $149.00 in repairs. You could have bought a new Fuel.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I don't know why you bought two new 28V batteries and spent $149.00 in repairs. You could have bought a new Fuel.
But he wouldn't get two for that same price.
WronGun likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I would not worry to much about it. When you start that 16 bed tanning salon just charge that into the job.

You really have a hard-on for that job it seems? I'm starting to think your either hating on me or think I'm full of BS.

Not really sure what's so hard to believe about that a scenario ? A tanning salon moving to another location ? Am I missing something here?

The drills pay for themselves with or without that job, so I wouldn't worry or lose any sleep

Last edited by WronGun; 01-01-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Carry on, WronGun. I would wire a tanning salon, no problem. As for the drills, upgrade to Fuel and you will never look back.
sbrn33 likes this.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Carry on, WronGun. I would wire a tanning salon, no problem. As for the drills, upgrade to Fuel and you will never look back.

I believe it the fuels are nice. The M28's are a kit I bought 8 yrs ago... buying batteries weren't just for the 2 drills , but everything else the kit came with. Since then Ive accumulated various M18 and M12 tools that are actually in my tool bag that I use all the time.... my 28's have a hammer built in which is nice , my 18 does not...I'm not really sure performance wise how the m28 compares to the 18 fuel, but I'm sure it's comparable. I do know the m28 mixes cement with no problems , up until it yesterday....

Last edited by WronGun; 01-01-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
I believe it the fuels are nice. The M28's are a kit I bought 8 yrs ago... buying batteries weren't just for the 2 drills , but everything else the kit came with. Since then Ive accumulated various M18 and M12 tools that are actually in my tool bag that I use all the time.... my 28's have a hammer built in which is nice , my 18 does not...I'm not really sure performance wise how the m28 compares to the 18 fuel, but I'm sure it's comparable. I do know the m28 mixes cement quite nicely

That confuses me even more. If you're set up with M18 already, a new Fuel M18 tool only would have cost you somewhere around the $149.00.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
That confuses me even more. If you're set up with M18 already, a new Fuel M18 tool only would have cost you somewhere around the $149.00.

149? Where ? Milwaukee higher end drills 18 or 28 with built in hammers are 350-450... regardless I have the whole 28 kit in my truck and didn't want to just put it aside... as far as 18volt goes all I have is 1 drill that was given to me and 2 of the new tripod LED lights..... at the end of the day I spent 149 on the repair, 149 for a battery and ended up with a brand new m28 drill with the hammer that sells for 412 at Home Depot.. again the purchase of the battery was before the drill needed repair , so I didn't know I was going to be in $300 to get up in running. So at this point if I need to pay another 149- to get another brand new m28 drill from Milwaukee E-service , I will do it

Last edited by WronGun; 01-01-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
149? Where ? Milwaukee higher end drills 18 or 28 with built in hammers are 350-450... regardless I have the whole 28 kit in my truck and didn't want to just put it aside... as far as 18volt goes all I have is 1 drill that was given to me and 2 of the new tripod LED lights..... at the end of the day I spent 149 on the repair, 149 for a battery and ended up with a brand new m28 drill with the hammer that sells for 412 at Home Depot.. again the purchase of the battery was before the drill needed repair , so I didn't know I was going to be in $300 to get up in running. So at this point if I need to pay another 149- to get another brand new m28 drill from Milwaukee E-service , I will do it

But you have the M18 batteries and charger already. Your HD down there sells the M18 Fuel hammer bare tool for $149.00.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
But you have the M18 batteries and charger already. Your HD down there sells the M18 Fuel hammer bare tool for $149.00.

I see what your saying... so I guess broke even between the 18 and 28

Old 01-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
Petulant Amateur

I'm not sure how good a Fuel drill would be at mixing cement. Most guys still use an old fashioned corded battleship for that.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,276

I am busting your balls a bit. Mainly because I was excited to help you quote that project and it could have been a great first big job for a young company. One that gets you started in commercial without a GC.

As for the 28 volt. They were a bust. They were great at the time but honestly the dewalt 18 volt out worked them. I think I have some I could send you if I go thru my old **** tool list that I am to cheap to throw out.
Mayb that should be my new years resi. Clean the shop....
99cents and WronGun like this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sbrn33 For This Useful Post:
WronGun (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 698
Default 18 versus 28 volt milwaukee

i also had a 28 volt milwaukee set. At the time it was the best. It hurt but I am dollars and time ahead to have gone to the 18 volt milwaukee then now to fuel as the tools quit. The 18 is lighter and will do anything the 28 will do. There's also an available tool for anything you would want cordless tool wise. I started by buying the largest combo set they have for like 1600 at the time. You could ebay what you have and start again. If you don't care about battery warranty reconditioned on cpomilwaukee is a good price.
sbrn33 likes this.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
I am busting your balls a bit. Mainly because I was excited to help you quote that project and it could have been a great first big job for a young company. One that gets you started in commercial without a GC.

As for the 28 volt. They were a bust. They were great at the time but honestly the dewalt 18 volt out worked them. I think I have some I could send you if I go thru my old **** tool list that I am to cheap to throw out.
Mayb that should be my new years resi. Clean the shop....

If they go through with it this spring as they said they would be , I will definitely be looking for your help

Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 4,392

Quote:
Start a 16 bed tanning salon?! I thought they were going the way of video rental stores. Tanning salons around here are closing left and right. One right in my neighborhood closed about 2 years ago and it's still for rent.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote