Motion Sensor Lighting - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM  

Rewards Points: 93
Default Motion Sensor Lighting

I have a Commercial Style Metal Building that I am going to be putting a motion sensor style outdoor light on. I went to Lowes and purchased one of their brands of the 2-150watt Halogen style and the regular flood light style with 2- 120watt Flood Light style. The flood lights were brighter. It would have seemed the halogen would have been brighter, but the glass had a rough pattern on it that made the light seem to glow more than shine. The halogens put off a lot more heat than the flood lights as well, and if on for an extended time that maybe could be a hazard?????
What I wasn't thrilled with at all was the way the sensor picked up, and I am thinking it is because my application is so far off of the ground. The garage door is 14 foot tall, so the light is mounted at around 15' off the ground. These sensors are supposed to pick up to 100 foot out, and there is one on the bottom that is supposed to pick up underneath it, which it didn't do too good at that height.
The brand is Secure something.
I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations. I like the look of the halogen because it looks more commercial in appearance, but the flood lights lit up the yard. There is one other brand at Lowes that does have a Clear glass on the halogen style. Perhaps someone can tell me if that is going to make a big difference or not. They have a Mean Looking LED style Lamp, but that bad boy has a mean price of $140 as well, but the motion sensor on it looks like it would have a good coverage area.
Thanks.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,050
Default stealth

http://www.rabweb.com/productLines.php?majorGroup=STL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm shakin it boss..I'm shakin it
The Following User Says Thank You to Cletis For This Useful Post:
Shockdoc (04-25-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM  
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

You are better off putting up a LED wall pack with a photo cell.. motion sensors are nothing but a headache for the customer and the electrician..

Try looking here.. http://www.e-conolight.com/led-produ...wall-pack.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM  
This amp goes to 11

Rewards Points: 500

Any motion sensor thats cheap....is cheap. Motion and photocell quality is directly proportional to cost IMHO. I can't even guess how many HO's come home from the box stores and got this wonderful fixture that takes a herd of elephants standing 6' from the sensor to turn on. Then when it doesn't work like they want it too they choke when they see what a good fixture will cost. For commercial use I'd go to the supply house and skip the HO crap.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimChaput69 View Post
Any motion sensor thats cheap....is cheap. Motion and photocell quality is directly proportional to cost IMHO. I can't even guess how many HO's come home from the box stores and got this wonderful fixture that takes a herd of elephants standing 6' from the sensor to turn on. Then when it doesn't work like they want it too they choke when they see what a good fixture will cost. For commercial use I'd go to the supply house and skip the HO crap.

Any particular brands?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
I like the STL360HB. That fixture has a commercial look to it, yet it uses flood bulbs, which to me are a whiter light and light the yard up better.

They aren't showing a distributor in NC though, and no price.

These lights are for my building, so I can afford to go a little higher on the price for quality since I don't have to pay labor.
Basically what I am wanting a motion detector for is because the neighbor keeps an eye on the building because she is a worry wart. If she sees the light come on she will know to look for activity. Due to it being a residential area, I don't want to have a light on at all times at night. But I do want a sensor that covers the entire area of the building so that no one can slide by it walking under neath it.

Any ideas on the difference between the halogen type as to are there any advantages to that type of lighting, or am I on the right track with staying with the flood style? Those halogens put off a lot of heat.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM  
This amp goes to 11

Rewards Points: 500

Cletis bet me to it, but RAB makes a ton of outdoor stuff for tight budget to some nice stuff.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,000

RAB 360 is the only flood we will supply. 10 year warranty.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM  
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,257

And the funny thing was scrolling all the way thru the thread and seeing an ad for "Maxima" sensor lights starting at $9.95.......
Drudge Report
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 PM  

STL360HB
Any of you guys got a ball park price for this fixture by RAB? I don't have anyone around here that sells them, and the site doesn't give prices
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
STL360HB
Any of you guys got a ball park price for this fixture by RAB? I don't have anyone around here that sells them, and the site doesn't give prices

I pay around $105.00 for them. I sold 8 in the last 3 weeks. Installed 2 of them today.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM  
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
STL360HB
About $110 Rab's are the only ones that are trouble free and never get call backs on.

http://www.rabweb.com/productLines.php?majorGroup=STL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.