Motor Circuit Question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 7 Post By JRaef
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 2 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican

Old 03-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Motor Circuit Question

Cant find anything in the codebook about this. Is it within code to have a recipticle and plug between the motor starter and the motor? Does this seem practical? Would be using something like the hubbell 480v 50amp twist lock. Recipticle would be mounted on a junction box fed by the motor starter with the motor plugged into it.
Maintenance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26,354

It's done all the time.

http://www.meltric.com/

I would NOT be using a twist-lock for 480 motor loads.

Strictly Pin & Sleeve for me -- and Meltric -- which, technically, is not P&S.

In the real world, such connections get tough abuse.

That's the whole reason that pin & sleeve designs were ever crafted.

The Meltric system is designed for ultra-quick change outs.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,856

I've done this a number of times.

In my experience, using basic twist locks is ok for small motors. I think just about every TL I've seen has a HP rating.
splatz likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,152

When you use a standard twist-lock, you have to use it at the HP rating it has (if there is no HP rating, you can't use it) and that HP rating will be less than the amp rating might otherwise allow. For example an L16-20 is rated 20A, but only 10HP at 460V, which is 14A. That's because of motor inrush and if someone uncouples it without turning it off, it will flash over. So they are also supposed to be used only when the power is already disconnected, even at the reduced ratings. For that reason you can buy them with a disconnect switch built-in, which also gives you the LO/TO point.

The original pin and sleeve devices were called "arc tight" for that reason, they contain the arc inside of the guard so that nobody gets hurt. But technically they too are supposed to be disconnected first, so for motor loads you are supposed to use the versions that are mechanically tied to a disconnect device as well.

The Meltric take it one step further and actually have a disconnect switch rating all by themselves. The pins are spring loaded so that when you begin to uncouple them, the contacts open inside, like a mechanical contactor, and disconnect power before the pins and sleeve separate. Meltric were for a long time the only ones rated to not need another disconnect device, but others have come out with competitive versions now (Hubbell for sure, maybe others).

Last edited by JRaef; 03-09-2019 at 12:13 AM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

I've noticed smaller of our smaller machines (10hp or smaller motors) have a twist lock cord and plug comming out of the control panel ( feeds the motor starter and control transformer) and plugging into a recipticle. I don't see a hp rating on the hubbell 50amp twist lock plug that being used in most cases. These need to instead be something like the Meltric or a pin and sleeve type?
Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Get the Hubbell connector number and click over to their website for all of the specs.

All recent Hubbell twist-locks carry some horse-power rating. (AFAIK)

Don't be surprised if the device is under-sized -- not appropriate for the motor's draw.
frenchelectrican and nrp3 like this.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

I been using the Meltric pin and sleeve type pretty often and they have very specific ordination so you cant jam a wrong one at all.

JRaef did posted a very good answer on this one and he covered it well.

Yes the Hubbel and other brands twistlocker will have HP rating on them but not always so double check to make sure they are rated for X size of motor.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Plug- HBL7765C

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/P...detail-section

Recipticle- HBL7379

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/P...L7379/p/176126

This is the plug and recipticle we mainly use. Don't see a hp rating anywhere on any of the documents.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 92

The one Meltric I installed seemed well made and suited for the use intended. This was for a irrigation pump removed every year at the end of the season. Having the disconnect right on it is great.
frenchelectrican and telsa like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #10
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance2 View Post
Plug- HBL7765C

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/P...detail-section

Recipticle- HBL7379

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/P...L7379/p/176126

This is the plug and recipticle we mainly use. Don't see a hp rating anywhere on any of the documents.
I am famuair with that one .,,

No it do not have HP rating at all just voltage / amp rating only techally it can handle 5 HP motor ( @ 230V 3 PH ) without issue but I will not use this for motor purpose.,

I would go with pin and sleeve style it much better useage for this purpose.
telsa likes this.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 AM   #11

Does the recipticle still need to be rated for the hp of the motor if it is fed by a disconnect and power is it be shut off before motor is unplugged? Is this rating for only if the recipticle is to be used as a disconnecting means or is this rating for normal operating conditions?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 AM   #12

Is the hp rating on recipticles for normal condition? Or is it a load break hp rating? Meaning the largest hp motor you can break with the plug
Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 AM   #13

The 'budget' is NOT your problem.

The performance of installed equipment can be held against you -- for your expertise.

The cost of electrical gear is trivial compared to the associated power bill -- if you're talking industry.

Don't buy into the management's budget tears.

Why the conservative design?

Have you ever taken a gander at the payouts for injuries?

Don't design to Third World 'standards.'

Last edited by telsa; 03-11-2019 at 01:43 AM.