Multi Family Dwelling Unit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MikeFL

Old 03-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Default Multi Family Dwelling Unit

I am looking for some answer reguarding multi family dwelling units. I recently received some prints to bid on for multi family dwelling units. It has 3 units in the building. I know each individual unit needs it’s smoke/carbon detectors. I’m looking on some advice for the fire alarm system for the 3 story building? What’s the best option to go with? And what would i need to install to bring it up to code.
Sparky1744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,861

Fire alarm systems are part of the building code, so although we all get to wire them, it's not our responsibility, it is the GC's. Around my neck of the woods it is required when there is 8 or more family units in one building, so all it would need is bedroom and hallway wired, connected smokes and also one for each floor hooked in the system also. Each unit control from each unit's sub panel, not a global system building wide.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

That do fall into GC ( General Contractor ) to spec it out and it will be covered by both IBC and state codes plus any local code requirement.

That you have to run by the building or fire inspector to get the latest info.

there is no universal answer on this part.

The smoke alarm will be wired in two ways ., Typically indivual interconnected smoke detectors for each unit but for common area like hallway or basement then it have to be interconnected unless noted otherwise per state/local codes.

The fire alarm that is up to the state codes depending on how many units per building and type of construction it is.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,416

In NC you need a license, that is separate from the electrical license, to wire fire alarms. Also are you sure they are required in a 3 unit building
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #5
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

2nd that^^^

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,182

You need to contact the fire marshal in Philly. There's no way anyone on here is going to know what they require locally. Fire Dep'ts are notorious for local amendments.
frenchelectrican and active1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire alarm, fire alarm design, multi-family, smoke detector