Multicircuits - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zac
  • 1 Post By Wirenuting

Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

Default Multicircuits

I Got Three Receptacle Circuits That Are Going To Share A Neutral And I Used 12-2 But I Have 10 AWG That Im Going To Use For Homeruns Should I Change My Homerun Wire To 12 AWG That Way I Can Fit My Ground Homeruns In My 3/4 EMT
Eestrada94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,672

Are you working with 3 phase? What voltage? I can't make sense out of your question.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
zac

Rewards Points: 820

?Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 139
Size:  886.0 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Signal1 likes this.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

Yea 3 phase 120/208 im asking cause the maximum conductors for 10 AWG Is 10 and I Got 3/4 EMT I had forgot about my ground when doing my calculations I Got 2 multiwire circuits going into that EMT
Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,315

Does the spec require that you run a ground wire in addition to your emt? . And don't forget that once you go over 8 current carrying conductors for size 10 cu wire then additional de-rating is required. Might be time to run some additional conduit...
Old 01-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

I Don't See It No Where on the plans but don't you have to run a ground how are the receptacles are going to be grounded and 2 circuits have gifs
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eestrada94 View Post
I Don't See It No Where on the plans but don't you have to run a ground how are the receptacles are going to be grounded and 2 circuits have gifs
What did your Journeyman say?
Is he nearby?
MikeFL likes this.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,315

Is this a side job? Your profile says apprentice. Apprentice's probably are unaware that emt is a legal and well used method of grounding circuits, although we have a whole bunch of so called electricians running about that don't even know that......... Watch how they will respond suddenly.

Apprentices don't usually understand de rating for conduit fill or temperature.

Apprentices are not supposed to be running jobs.

I'm not trying to spank you, but I am sure curious about why you are asking us these questions.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 608

For starters, the specs are typically a separate document (sometimes they are on the drawings).
It is allowable to use EMT as a EGC, as for grounding the devices, use a bonding pigatail from the device box. Also, GFI's do not care about the EGC, they monitor the neutral.

Personally, with 3/4" EMT, I TRY to limit my conductors to 3 Hots, 3 Neutrals, & 1 EGC.
Not being ugly here, but do you understand what & why you are installing?
MXer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #10

Yea The Reason I'm Asking Is To Be Sure
Also The Circuits I have made I Need 6 Hot Conductors And 2 Neutrals and I'm trying not to run more conduit cause I have limited space to work with
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,051

12/2 already has a ground conductor. Why are you running Romex in a conduit? And, you can't share neutrals on a GFI circuit.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote