MV cable shield - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By triden
  • 1 Post By JRaef
  • 1 Post By triden

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 360
Default MV cable shield

Does 4160v cable usually have a shield? Looking at a feeder that failed last week for unknown reasons (still investigating) and it only had a ground wire - no shield. Is this common? It was a TECK90 cable by Southwire - the stuff with the orange jacket.

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...rodcatsheetT37

Anyhow, cable was in a conduit and it blew the fuses. Phase-to-phase fault. Keep you updated when we find out more, but more than likely shielding would have saved it.

Last edited by triden; 03-17-2017 at 10:20 PM.
triden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,774

Most of the 5 kv teck cable I've done is unshielded.. It has been in both the orange and black jackets... And the SOW I've used is also unshielded.. I think I'e only worked on few couple of shielded 5 kv cables..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
triden (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

In my experience, 5KV cables (more than 1 conductor) are not shielded. Single conductor wire usually is shielded. If there's no neutral, the shield is the ground. If there is a neutral, it's the shield and a separate ground is pulled.

One exception is airport lighting wire (single conductor, 5KV) is not shielded.

Higher than 5KV, everything is shielded except the ground. It's basic 600 volt wire.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (03-18-2017), glen1971 (03-18-2017), telsa (03-18-2017), triden (03-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Sorry for delay on my reply on this one.,,

Most case I useally run into most of the MV cables useally unshielded but for single run of conductor it will be shielded ( pay attetion to bonding on shield part )

There is not too much differnce between the unshielded and shielded verison.

I useally run into alot of MV DLC ( diesel locomovite cable ) in my area.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
In my experience, 5KV cables (more than 1 conductor) are not shielded. Single conductor wire usually is shielded. If there's no neutral, the shield is the ground. If there is a neutral, it's the shield and a separate ground is pulled.

One exception is airport lighting wire (single conductor, 5KV) is not shielded.

Higher than 5KV, everything is shielded except the ground. It's basic 600 volt wire.
Found the problem. Cause of failure is still questionable, but most likely installation damage at this point.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

I'm not sure if this is one of those minor differences in the NEC vs the CEC, but the NEC here made shielding mandatory for field wiring over 2kV some time ago. The only place you can use unshielded cable in inside of gear, and in "industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation", or where replacing existing MV unshielded cables (because it USED to be OK, so those installations are "grandfathered". There are other exceptions as per usual of course.
Big John likes this.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by triden View Post
Found the problem. Cause of failure is still questionable, but most likely installation damage at this point.

That looks icky........lol.

An in-line splice on MV TEK cable is not much fun and it takes a long time. And your arms and hands will be sore for a while.........
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
That looks icky........lol.

An in-line splice on MV TEK cable is not much fun and it takes a long time. And your arms and hands will be sore for a while.........
Not too familiar with the logistics of a TECK splice, but it was pulled through a buried conduit, so a splice was probably less than economical in this case. Fault was somewhere in the middle of the run. Paid the $40k and pulled a new feeder.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
I'm not sure if this is one of those minor differences in the NEC vs the CEC, but the NEC here made shielding mandatory for field wiring over 2kV some time ago. The only place you can use unshielded cable in inside of gear, and in "industrial establishments where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation", or where replacing existing MV unshielded cables (because it USED to be OK, so those installations are "grandfathered". There are other exceptions as per usual of course.
Why did they make it mandatory? Was it because the shield might make the cable less likely to fault given external influence (metal, water, dirt, etc)? I couldn't imagine what it would be like to terminate a shielded 4160v cable into a peckerhead of a motor...that is unless they make them much larger these days.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:12 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by triden View Post
Not too familiar with the logistics of a TECK splice, but it was pulled through a buried conduit, so a splice was probably less than economical in this case. Fault was somewhere in the middle of the run. Paid the $40k and pulled a new feeder.
Ouch!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote