My well pump doesn't work?? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,912
Default My well pump doesn't work??

Here's a job that came about when the customers well pump quit working. He thought the underground wire to his well house was bad, so he replaced it with 14-2 Romex in 1/2" black poly buried 6" deep. The pump still didn't work. So then he called the local pump company. They took one look at and told him he needed an electrician. Here's what I saw when I showed up:
Attached Thumbnails
My well pump doesn't work??-20150120_120658.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-011.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-20150120_120136.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-20150120_120225.jpg  
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Cow

It turns out one leg of the Zinsco breaker was bad. You can see from the pics he has everything tapped from one buss to try and get it to work. Sorry, but 240v doesn't work that way.

Fortunately, they had another service next door I could string a cord from to get the well working until I figured out what do with this mess.
Attached Thumbnails
My well pump doesn't work??-20150120_115015.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-20150120_115020.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Cow

The replacement. Sorry, I must of forgotten to take pics of the well house all cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails
My well pump doesn't work??-012.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-013.jpg   My well pump doesn't work??-014.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
dronai (02-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,950

So, do people who live in a place like that, with equipment in that kind of dis-repair actually have enough money to pay for a new service and well pump feeder? I just imagine they were flat broke. Any friction from them about the scope of work or pricing for the job? Did you collect on the spot?
btharmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by btharmy View Post
So, do people who live in a place like that, with equipment in that kind of dis-repair actually have enough money to pay for a new service and well pump feeder?
Honestly, I have no idea what their financial status is.

Quote:
I just imagine they were flat broke. Any friction from them about the scope of work or pricing for the job?
They squirmed when I gave them a rough ballpark cost for just the metermain and mast. I didn't even give them a price on the run to the wellpump as I wasn't sure how involved it was going to get.

Fortunately the couple who owned this had a son-in-law talk them into hiring us because even he could tell the wiring they had been doing just wasn't safe.

Quote:
Did you collect on the spot?
No, we always mail a bill. This wasn't a quote, all T&M, so I don't even know the job cost until our office guy works it up. There was no way to quote this job because there was so much wrong with it, I wasn't sure what the inspector was going to call me on when I called for final.

It still isn't perfect, but it's much better and safer than it was.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 159

Nice clean up. Only thing I would have done differently was, COD when complete. A credit card deposit to start.
dronai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

typical farm/mobil;e home conglomeration, except for the new fuses!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote