A Near Disaster - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree23Likes
  • 6 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 9 Post By zac
  • 3 Post By flyboy
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By Dennis Alwon

Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,262
Default A Near Disaster

These people got lucky. The electrician was called because the house was hit by lightning. My friend went to enter the basement but the homeowner warned him that there was a dead animal down there. He open the door and quickly stopped the owner from turning on the lights. He recognized the smell of LP gas and told her to call the gas company.

They found this piece of Csst that had been hit by lightning. The pic is accurate as it is hard to even see the hole when you are holding the pipe. Just a pin hole which fortunately didn't create a torch effect that is so often the case with csst being hit by lightning. It wasn't hard to convince her in an upgrade to bond the piping. The hole is on the 3rd spiral from the left. The jacket was ripped right off of the piping.

Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (07-23-2018), brian john (07-24-2018), Cow (07-23-2018), cuba_pete (07-25-2018), frenchelectrican (07-23-2018), John Valdes (07-23-2018), micromind (07-23-2018), Moonshot180 (07-23-2018), Mouser (07-25-2018), SummitElectric1 (07-24-2018), Switched (07-23-2018), The_Modifier (07-24-2018), wildleg (07-23-2018), Wirenuting (07-23-2018)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,864

Real lucky.
Bird dog likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
zac

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
These people got lucky. The electrician was called because the house was hit by lightning. My friend went to enter the basement but the homeowner warned him that there was a dead animal down there. He open the door and quickly stopped the owner from turning on the lights. He recognized the smell of LP gas and told her to call the gas company.

They found this piece of Csst that had been hit by lightning. The pic is accurate as it is hard to even see the hole when you are holding the pipe. Just a pin hole which fortunately didn't create a torch effect that is so often the case with csst being hit by lightning. It wasn't hard to convince her in an upgrade to bond the piping. The hole is on the 3rd spiral from the left. The jacket was ripped right off of the piping.

Sorry but this site is for electrical contractors only. Playing with gas lines is dangerous and should only be done by professionals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,636

Ibtl
The_Modifier, samgregger and MTW like this.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:

I see no picture
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge565 View Post
I see no picture

Try a different pair of glasses.. Not sure what to do as the image is there. I'll try something

Did this help

A Near Disaster-csst.jpg
MikeFL likes this.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Sorry but this site is for electrical contractors only. Playing with gas lines is dangerous and should only be done by professionals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The gas pipe was done by professionals.. Gas company fixed it not the EC.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,022

Of course, now it shows up!
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,940

Not being from lighting country.... Would there be a much different outcome from rigid gas piping being used?

I would think maybe..... but what do I know.....
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Not being from lighting country.... Would there be a much different outcome from rigid gas piping being used?

I am under the impression that this is a new issue with the flexible gas lines due to the small wall thickness.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post

Never seen it get a hole blown in it.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #12
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I am under the impression that this is a new issue with the flexible gas lines due to the small wall thickness.
It been going on for a while senice the CSST tubing came out.

there were some heads up few years back I dont recall when the notice came out but I know it been few years so most gas company is already aware of it.

I have few over here in Philippines too so pretty much international event anyway.

but there is couple remedy for this mess one is run the exteral bonding conductors on all the CSST tubings.

the other option is replace with ridge conduit that will useally take care of it. so one of the two will slove it.
splatz likes this.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

The Csst industry was sued and had a 100 million dollar lawsuit. They would pay to have the piping bonded however that only lasted a few years and has been over for many years. Problem was that no one knew about the lawsuit and thus the company, AFAIK, did not have to pay out much money.

The oddity of it all is that it is still on the market.

Omegaflex came out with a product called counterstrike which is thicker and supposedly doesn't need the bonding. Well, the gas code says you have to bond it anyway.
frenchelectrican and splatz like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

It's a small problem here. I've gone behind where it's done that and burned up a few things.

Problem comes from who is going to bond it. On new construction, of course, it is the electrician. On remodels or whatever, the plumber couldn't tell you the difference between an acorn clamp and a split bolt.

"OK, here's your new gas line. It works fine right now and you'll see no functional difference ever, at all, but make sure you pay an electrician hundred of dollars more to come out and run a green wire to it after I leave!!"

Then,

I go to a CE class for electrical, and they spend over an hour going back and forth and on and on about how it should be to a separate rod all on its own "because it the power line gets hit by lighting you're not going to want that connected to your gas line!!!"
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
I go to a CE class for electrical, and they spend over an hour going back and forth and on and on about how it should be to a separate rod all on its own "because it the power line gets hit by lighting you're not going to want that connected to your gas line!!!"
If that is true then someone is not at all educated on the subject. The instruction specifically call for the bonding to be done. That means bond it to the grounding system of the structure. It doesn't have to go to a rod.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #16
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
If that is true then someone is not at all educated on the subject. The instruction specifically call for the bonding to be done. That means bond it to the grounding system of the structure. It doesn't have to go to a rod.
Someone at the construction board had their friend, who is an inspector in a rural area, come out to discuss the code. When we got to CSST it all went to hell.

The inspector was just the kind of guy you can imagine. A multiple pocketed shirt with a tactical vest holding codebook references, big goofy fishing cap. Back country as **** mixed with nerd, mixed with something to prove. Probably doesn't even have natural gas in his backwoods cabin. The kind that's a one inspector for everything, making sure the bedrooms have arc-faults and the driveway gravel is dust free type...
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,658

Quote:
because the house was hit by lightning.
Here is the key...all bets are off. By all means bond it, but, there's no guarantee.