Need advice, please help! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By bostonPedro
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By Bird dog
  • 1 Post By glen1971
  • 1 Post By AK_sparky
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 2 Post By Southeast Power
  • 2 Post By frenchelectrican
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Default Need advice, please help!

Just bought a mobile home with an addition and I am in the process of rebuilding the addition as at one point the roof leaked and destroyed all of the drywall. The power in the addition works, and obviously the breaker for outlets and lights should be 15amp but they have installed 30a for some reason. The disconnected wiring on the left is for the dryer (installed by previous owner). The breaker on the right is for my electric range and I installed that circuit. After I installed it i noticed that the wire supplying the box seems small for being able to supply roughly 100amps. Also if I plug in a space heater and run my drill the power shuts off completely but the breaker doesn't kick. If I reset the breaker the lights come back on but they are extremely dim. If I pull the trigger quickly on my drill with nothing else plugged in then the lights get bright again.....the electric range works 100% flawless on the same box...Please someone tell me what is happening.....lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice, please help!-20181020_211536_1540085646395.jpg  

Need advice, please help!-20181020_211649_1540085665395.jpg  

Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,092

I suggest you hire an electrician before you hurt yourself or cause a fire.
The_Modifier and glen1971 like this.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,267

The nerve of that guy using those crappy yellow wire nuts.
B-Nabs likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonPedro View Post
I suggest you hire an electrician before you hurt yourself or cause a fire.
I agree, but unfortunately don't have that option. I am very confident in my ability to fix it, I just need someone to tell me what I need to do or what they think is going on. Should I upgrade to a better box, and bigger wire supplying the box? The wire supplying the box is attached directly to the main 200 amp breaker in the box on the pole.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,646

This site is for electrical pros only. Please post on...
https://www.diychatroom.com/
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,774

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4P3R_cl0ud View Post
I agree, but unfortunately don't have that option. I am very confident in my ability to fix it, I just need someone to tell me what I need to do or what they think is going on. Should I upgrade to a better box, and bigger wire supplying the box? The wire supplying the box is attached directly to the main 200 amp breaker in the box on the pole.
And why did I go to school for 4 years, and worked in this trade to give away my trade and take work away from fellow electricians? We work hard for a living, and the knowledge we have doesn't come free or cheap....
B-Nabs likes this.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
The nerve of that guy using those crappy yellow wire nuts.
Yeah this guy was clearly a genius.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
This site is for electrical pros only. Please post on...
https://www.diychatroom.com/
Thank you
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,981

Quote:
I am very confident in my ability to fix it
The fact that you are here asking basically where to start makes me think that you shouldn't trust your confidences. And that you should assess your abilities more realistically.

Quote:
I agree, but unfortunately don't have that option.
Why don't you want to call an electrician?
glen1971 likes this.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Quote:
And why did I go to school for 4 years, and worked in this trade to give away my trade and take work away from fellow electricians? We work hard for a living, and the knowledge we have doesn't come free or cheap....
Very professional good sir. Knowledge should be free, and anyone with knowledge should be open to educating others on the subjects that they are lacking in. Your actions of denying me knowledge have not hindered any electricians monetary gains, but could in fact cause someone else to accidently kill themselves. All because you took the precious time to scald someone instead of using that precious time to assist someone in helping to keep their child warm in the winter. Not every man has the finances to afford an electrician, but thank you for your time anyway guys. And I apologise for posing in this forum
Old 10-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #11
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,267

Quote:
Very professional good sir. Knowledge should be free, and anyone with knowledge should be open to educating others on the subjects that they are lacking in. Your actions of denying me knowledge have not hindered any electricians monetary gains, but could in fact cause someone else to accidently kill themselves. All because you took the precious time to scald someone instead of using that precious time to assist someone in helping to keep their child warm in the winter. Not every man has the finances to afford an electrician, but thank you for your time anyway guys. And I apologise for posing in this forum
F. off.
readydave8 and The_Modifier like this.
The_Modifier (10-21-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,774

Quote:
Pardon me, but how is me not giving away what I worked my a$$ off to achieve is going to harm anyone? If I gave knowledge and part of it was taken wrong, and someone got hurt then what?

I'll give you some free advice, shut off the power to that panel, before you overload something and an electrical fire results..
Old 10-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 12
Default Need advice, please help!

No one will help you on this site visit the DIY site for help. but do you know if that 10-2 is feed from a 100 amp breaker which would be very unsafe. and you added a 50 amp breaker for a stove. Plus the other things running you have a very serious electrical fire hazard. If you did not realize what you did was completely unsafe you should not touch electrical. Hopefully you don’t have kids in the house. Or anybody else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ctsparky93; 10-20-2018 at 11:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ctsparky93 For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Quote:
The point is that most of us here are freely sharing knowledge with others within our trade. Some of us are licensed in different states and even different countries. We inquire and respond to each other with the understanding that the other person has knowledge of electrical theory, jurisdictional codes and safety.
It would be irresponsible to give DIY advice here as it would be out of context.
The DIY site has some of the members here on that forum and take the time to answer questions clear, simple and free.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #15
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Quote:
. And I apologise for posing in this forum
You were caught posing.
Deal with it.
The_Modifier and Bird dog like this.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 7,049

Do you want to know what's wrong with that installation? EVERYTHING!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,646

I'll bring the S'mores to make over the fire.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #18
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Just stop right there and hire the electrician to fix the subpanel that have illegal connection on it.

otherwise go to our sister site .,,

www.diychatroom.com

they can help you with some info and some of us are at the diychatroom so you will get a correct answer there.

sorry the thread will be closed.

Birddog ., did you forgot the crackers ?
The_Modifier and Bird dog like this.
Bird dog (10-20-2018), The_Modifier (10-21-2018)
Closed Thread