Need Some Advice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Need Some Advice

I posted here yesterday regarding me going into the Electrician trade. As of right now after reading some of the comments esp. from the guy from Toronto (considering thats where I reside) telling me to not get into the trade as he is marking his plan to get out.

I'm actually getting very depressed, about getting anywhere in life. I know this is of nothing to related to any of you guys but considering you guys also have experience in life in general I don't know who else to ask.

I'll be honest right now, that post was BS, I do not have grades high in the 70s/80s, more like 50s. I surfed my way threw school by 'just' passing. You can mark me out as the 'cool' kid in school from all those movies. But to be honest I would kill to repeat grade 9, have 0 friends, and be a all in my books.

I know you might recommend me to a guidance counceller but I thought I might get better advice from those who have lived a life in general as I believe the older you get the wiser you might be.

What trades do you belive are going to be in demand and I might be able to do. I would also like to make fairly good money 60k if possible doing a job that starts at 6 and finishes at 2 so I can go hit a bar or have a cold beer ready for me by the time I get home.

I live in Canada if that helps with the Trade demand

edit - one skill i have is I can give very good advice, esp about dating to men as I've got 0 social anxiety and can mix in with a group of people easily. I've also got an ego a man thing, if you get what I mean, If I don't like something I let somebody know.

Just adding on.

Last edited by TheOchocinco33; 05-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.
TheOchocinco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Tesla was right

Rewards Points: 250

Head for the military, I was you in school, 8 years in the military taught me some very good life lessons, showed me the world, provided a trade and a college degree. Best decision I ever made....
Modern Castle Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Modern Castle Inc. For This Useful Post:
CanadianSparky (05-02-2012), dronai (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
I would also like to make fairly good money 60k if possible doing a job that starts at 6 and finishes at 2 so I can go hit a bar or have a cold beer ready for me by the time I get home.
grand plan

let us know how that works out Ocho

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
jeffmoss26 (05-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 562

If you want my honest opinion from reading your responses in this thread and the last you aren't ready to grow up yet.

Being in the trades like someone already stated is dirty demanding and can be tiring. You attitude makes me believe you won't last a second in this field. Guys on the job site are going to hassle you and get under your skin worse than they are here and obviously you can't handle just a little bit of it. You are interested in the "party life" still and you seem like you want to be in it to get the chicks. Myself being a young electrician and having friends that act just like you does get depressing sometimes because looking at tyhem partying every night, but in the end I look at what I have already accomplished and assets/family I have then back to what they have. I don't regret a thing.

I think if you really want to get serious about it then what someone suggested about the military is good in my own opinion because you still have a lot of maturing ahead of you.

Edit: And about the getting out of the trade. I could never see myself not doing electrical. I enjoy what I do, there is always ways to expand your knowledge. I find my work very rewarding and get a sense of pride when I complete a job.

Last edited by CanadianSparky; 05-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.
CanadianSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

Its not that, heres what the plan was-

Become an electrician, work my way up to journeyman
To this with my best friend as we've been doing projects all are life (building dog house, setting up basketball nets, destroying a garage, which was later rebuilt by his dad).

I'm somewhere in between the party life and working, I believe if I work hard now and get ahead in life, I might be more set then those that are going to college/uni.

But some guy here told me to not get in as he wants to get out.

Which I dont understand as its a 6 - 2 job, you get off, hit the gym and then go to a bar or to your family.

Pay is good (is what I'm hearing)

PS- I dont want to get into military, but am willing to relocate in a new environment possibly alone leaving my bf behind. This alone might just teach me something but not as much as military would but I really don't want to do that.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
every hard worker deserves his day of rest, not that they'll all get it

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

so you think coming clean about your piss poor grades and work ethic will garner you sympathy? this trade isn't a plan b and its not for slackers, incompetents, or crybabys. that being said, if you do find a way in just put your head down and work. good luck
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOchocinco33 View Post
Its not that, heres what the plan was-

Become an electrician, work my way up to journeyman
To this with my best friend as we've been doing projects all are life (building dog house, setting up basketball nets, destroying a garage, which was later rebuilt by his dad).

I'm somewhere in between the party life and working, I believe if I work hard now and get ahead in life, I might be more set then those that are going to college/uni.

Which I dont understand as its a 6 - 2 job, you get off, hit the gym and then go to a bar or to your family.

Pay is good (is what I'm hearing)

PS- I dont want to get into military, but am willing to relocate in a new environment possibly alone leaving my bf behind. This alone might just teach me something but not as much as military would but I really don't want to do that.
Read my edit about getting out.

Its not always a 6-2 job it all depend on the company. I work 8-430 usually(somedays I work longer or the odd time I work nights depending on the work).

Yes the pay can be good but that also depends on your company. The wage you stated I easily make in a year. Not the best but enough to enjoy life.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

actually after rereading your post i don't believe you anyhow. 60k and hit the bar? you're good
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Not plan b, trades is basically my only option and of cource am willing to work to achieve but actions speak louder than words and I haven't been doing that recently.

But I will, I hear carpentry is good.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOchocinco33 View Post
If I don't like something I let somebody know.
Me too.

I don't like you.

Seriously, I don't.

No...seriously and really, some people love this trade. I don't. I really never have. It's dirty and the pay sucks. Maybe in your area you can make 60K but here, it's not normal. More like 50K after 10 years of experience. You will be starting (here) at 20K.

If I were you, I'd start a dating advice website. Do something you are good at and love to do.

Quote:
this trade isn't a plan b and its not for slackers, incompetents, or crybabys
NOW you tell me.

Last edited by 220/221; 05-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 220/221 For This Useful Post:
Honestly (05-03-2012), Modern Castle Inc. (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,004

That "some guy" with the depressing news was me, and I stand behind what I said. You can make it in electrical, if you are determined to, and if you accept the things that come with it, such as - in the Toronto area - a poor ratio of income to cost of living. Straight up, whatever you think the electrical trade is - that's what it isn't. I tell every new guy that.
Like I said. If you really want to have a certain market cornered and have a secure position at some place where you might get benefits with your pay, you better become one of those guys who is both a millwright and electrician or HVAC mechanic and electrician. You're 18 and you have the time for that. I'm 25, and I don't. Another thing you could do is pack up and head for Alberta or Saskatchewan like I'm doing. Let's be honest here, millions of guys can turn screwdrivers and if you want to make your mark you have to be slightly different somehow.

Once you get into the trade the party life will end anyway. You are going to be tired.

Other similar things you could look into:

Controls tech

Automation and robotics tech

Electrical Technologist
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,750

Do what you want to do, go where you want to go, think for yourself and........
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Do what you want to do, go where you want to go, think for yourself ........
cause I won't be there for you.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

become a plumber. there is no shortage of terds, and judging from the poplulation, there won't be anytime soon. terd cutting is a time tested tradition and honorable proposition, and their scale is often higher than the electricians. some people turn their nose up at the plumbers' trade, but those that are familiar with it know that it is not an unpleasant smell, but rather, the sweet smell of success.
MaxFuse (05-03-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post

Maybe in your area you can make 60K but here, it's not normal. More like 50K after 10 years of experience. You will be starting (here) at 20k.
The pay scale is a little different here. He is from Toronto and could easily make 60k as a new journeyman.