Neon Tester Findings - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,050
Default Neon Tester Findings

Been using neon tester for many years for following. To find hot in box, grounded conductors, 240, 120, etc...Just by the intensity of light I could figure out what was what without a meter.

To find the hot in the box i've always touched the neon to conductors and other end to fingertip with thick rubber boots on. Faint glow meant the hot.

Question: How do get the faint glow with basically no return path and very high resistance? Same with neutral, except faint would mean bad neutral, but why faint and not just no glow?? For some reason I thought you had to have a full return path to get a glow.

I know it's all ohm's law so some other analogy would help.
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Been using neon tester for many years for following. To find hot in box, grounded conductors, 240, 120, etc...Just by the intensity of light I could figure out what was what without a meter.

To find the hot in the box i've always touched the neon to conductors and other end to fingertip with thick rubber boots on. Faint glow meant the hot.

Question: How do get the faint glow with basically no return path and very high resistance? Same with neutral, except faint would mean bad neutral, but why faint and not just no glow?? For some reason I thought you had to have a full return path to get a glow.

I know it's all ohm's law so some other analogy would help.
The first job I was on the JW called it an "idiot" light. Never used it again.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

Once again, Cletis comes up with a great story.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Default Story

How is explaining neon tracers and ohm's law a story??
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

I've never used a neon tester like that, but I think it's just a case of your insulated boots not being quite as insulated as you prefer and your body is conducting a tiny bit of current.

Have you ever noticed if the light glows a different brightness when you try this trick standing in a concrete basement versus a plywood attic?

I think you're opening yourself up to the possibility of a nasty shock, but other than that, try standing on a couple ceramic tiles the next time you do it, and see if it still works.

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

Default lit up

Yeah. I did that accidently once. I'm guessing it glowed very bright cause I jumped backwards a few feet. I would have thought that with thick dry socks and very thick rubber redwing electrician shoes my resistance would be infinity to the ground ?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,236

I use a Ideal Test-Glo at work because I work with 125 VDC controls.
The neon voltage test lights draw a extremely small amount of current Maybe down in the micro or picro amp range.
with that being said they can tolerate extremely high resistance in the circuit.
When I started in this game I carried a small neon test screwdriver it had a metal clip and a large resister in the handle between the neon lamp and the clip.I would touch the screwdriver tip to a conductor and the circuit would be completed through my body. That was many years before we had non contact capacitance coupled voltage testers.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
...I would have thought that with thick dry socks and very thick rubber redwing electrician shoes my resistance would be infinity to the ground ?
Unless the boots where brand-spanking-new bone-dry EH rated, I wouldn't count on that stuff to be a great insulator.

A little bit of sweat, a little bit of dirt, a little bit of water is all it takes to ruin an insulation rating. I've gotten a little buzz from 120V in my boots that are supposed to be rated to withstand something like 10,000V.

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,508

The path of current IS indead thru your body to ground,
But neons need very little current to operate,
Typically around 500ua,
So you dont feel it.
No need for ohms law to explain this one.
I dont have to tell you that letting ANY current
flow thru your body is RISKY.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,106

Even if you're completely insulated from any return path, the capacitance of your body will be enough to cause the light to glow some.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,464

Capacitance.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote