New 3 gang service - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,498
Default New 3 gang service

Well, here are some exciting pictures of a 3 meter service we are doing on a multifamily building. 2 apartments and 1 house panel. Doing 2 100Aers with 1 60A house panel. Will get more pictures next time we are over there, but there wasn't much past what you see here except a #4 water bond and 1 6 circuit Homeline panel for the house panel, and an 8 circuit QO panel to feed the 2nd floor apartment and allow an easier alternative to add a separate water heater for that apartment. The reason 1 is QO and 1 is Homeline is we already had a 70A QO breaker in stock (new old stock ) for the #2 SER feeding the 2nd floor apartment.

Here is day 1 with 2 hours of work for 2 guys. 2 ground rods driven with #6 run to bonding lug, 2 100A 3R discos, and 1 70A (will have 60A breaker in it) disco so service disconnects are grouped. The sparky that wired the place originally wasn't planning on grouping service disconnects (), so we also have to crack open the newish 100A QO panel and move all the grounds from the neutral bars to ground bars. More work for us, anyway.

Here is day 2 with more bonding. We hit each of the 1 1/2" close nipples with bonding bushings and hit each one with the #4 water bond. Not too shabby eh?

Should be doing the cutover some time next week. Electrical inspection is on Monday, so we will probably feed the 2 panels we set with SER from the disconnects, and then do the final cutover when the Poco gets there to run the new 4/0 SEU riser.

ETA: The 2 100A discos are fed with #3 THHN CU, and the 60A is fed with #6 THHN. We went with copper to make it a bit easier to work with considering the tight space in the bottom of the meter socket, and it really ain't all that much money anyway.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Nice work, smart running the GEC thru the MIGBs
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 749

How much were those 100A discos?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Tool Fetish

Rewards Points: 500

If I'm not mistaken, grounding bushings aren't required on nipples that are installed into threaded hubs. Looks good though.
SteveBayshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBayshore View Post
If I'm not mistaken, grounding bushings aren't required on nipples that are installed into threaded hubs. Looks good though.
I'm cheap like that. I would have just threaded some PVC connectors into the hubs and then glued box adapters thru the meter pan into the PVC connectors
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
SteveBayshore (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Fluke Skywalker

Rewards Points: 1,002

Are they even required in this situation at all?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Are they even required in this situation at all?
Last i remember metallic conduit in concentric knockouts on the supply side had to be bonded. They are only threaded hubs on the bottom, not going into the meter can, obviously.

Not sure on price of 100 amp discos. Customer had them new in box left over from some project, so we used them here. I want to say they around $75 though.

PVC would have loojed like crap and would have been a bitch to get all exactly the same length. We wanted all the discos to be level across the top, which they are.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Tool Fetish

Rewards Points: 500

The code doesn't specify which end of the nlpple is bonded, just that it is bonded. The main enclosures are bonded to the neutral, the same as the meter cans.Can be bonded from the bottom up.
There wouldn't have been any PVC conduit, just threaded terminal adapters into the hubs and glue in box adaptors into the terminal adaptors. I'm not sure that a lot of you guys out there know the difference between a terminal adaptor and a box adaptor. I have yet to see any pictures of a project with box adaptors, they don't need locknuts or bushings on them. They glue into a female fitting. Like Hack said, no nipples, no locknuts, no bushings to rust and corrode, and CHEAPER.

Last edited by SteveBayshore; 07-26-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar
SteveBayshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBayshore
The code doesn't specify which end of the nlpple is bonded, just that it is bonded. The main enclosures are bonded to the neutral, the same as the meter cans.Can be bonded from the bottom up.
There wouldn't have been any PVC conduit, just threaded terminal adapters into the hubs and glue in box adaptors into the terminal adaptors. I'm not sure that a lot of you guys out there know the difference between a terminal adaptor and a box adaptor. I have yet to see any pictures of a project with box adaptors, they don't need locknuts or bushings on them. They glue into a female fitting. Like Hack said, no nipples, no locknuts, no bushings to rust and corrode, and CHEAPER.
Hmm. What do the terminal adapters look like?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
A terminal adapter is just a PVC connector, sometimes also called a male adapter.

A box adapter is one of these:

Name:  ADPTB-050_1200x1200_300_4.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  11.7 KB

You glue it thru the KO in a box into a bell-end, coupling, or in the case of the op into the back of a PVC connector.
SteveBayshore (07-29-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Rest In Peace

Rewards Points: 7,003

Quote:
This?
aftershockews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Rest In Peace

Damn you HackWork.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Rest In Peace

We also use these.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBayshore View Post
I have yet to see any pictures of a project with box adaptors, they don't need locknuts or bushings on them. They glue into a female fitting. Like Hack said, no nipples, no locknuts, no bushings to rust and corrode, and CHEAPER.
This thread shows them but you have to zoom in on the second pic to see them well.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f29/weeks-project-53845/

And a bunch of them here. http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/in...project-18818/
8V71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8V71 For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (07-27-2013), SteveBayshore (07-29-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

So the POCO does the risers there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
I see room for an underground conduit to the far left.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E
If it is just an SEU riser PSNH does it. They also supplied the meter can. For underground, we supply and install the conduit to their spec, pull a rope into it, and they supply and pull the conductors. This one is going to be a 4/0 SEU riser that they provide.

I'll have to look into those funky PVC adapters. I have another one of these coming up for another customer that I may try them out on.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
Mensa Player

Quote:
I'll have to look into those funky PVC adapters. I have another one of these coming up for another customer that I may try them out on.
They are good because you don't have to deal with locknuts and bushings anymore. To bring a pipe into a box just put the bell end (or a cut end with a coupling) to the box and glue a box adapter thru from the inside. No metal locknut to bond either when using PVC boxes.
SteveBayshore (07-29-2013)