new electrical buisness - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default new electrical buisness

Hello everyone I have just recently obtained my c10 looking for any good advice on starting my buisness.
zamaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Cash, plenty of cash deals, then incorporate , cash checks and deposit the minimum amount of money just to cover bills in the account.
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamaral
Hello everyone I have just recently obtained my c10 looking for any good advice on starting my buisness.
Is it just you or do you have a crew?
Mr. Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamaral View Post
Get out there and shake hands and kiss baby's and give lots of dog bisketts .

Make up some flyers and business cards and tell as many people as you can what you are doing and always do the best job that you can.

Welcome to the forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,006

If you intend to have $1 million by the end of the year, you'll need to start out with 2 million.

Seriously, be sure you can cover your living expenses for at least a year. Most small businesses fail in the first year, but of course you'll be the exception. Unless the economy or state laws or the weather changes. Which we all know never happens. So be sure you can support the business and yourself until you get the hang of things.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigV For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
If you intend to have $1 million by the end of the year, you'll need to start out with 2 million.
That's funny.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigV View Post
Seriously, be sure you can cover your living expenses for at least a year. Most small businesses fail in the first year, but of course you'll be the exception. Unless the economy or state laws or the weather changes. Which we all know never happens. So be sure you can support the business and yourself until you get the hang of things.
+1

add, I would plan on 2 yrs expenses in the bank as a min.
10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

Ellen Rohr - How Much Should I charge?

The business is your life now, at least for the first few years. The more committed you are to it, the better you'll do. There'll be many obstacles in your way the better you handle them the more success you will have. You'll come across things you never anticipated and this forum here can help you get past them. Always remember to do what your customers want, not what you want. Good luck.
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Good luck. Shasta County is one of the poorest counties in the state, yet pretty damn beautiful. That means you are going to have to work harder.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knowshorts For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,464

Hook up with contractors,build up credit accounts,have a business phone and address, have cash reserves, no craigs or magic, network with other crafts, Good Luck,it's not overnight....Insurance also.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Troubleshooter View Post
Is it just you or do you have a crew?
Just me for now pretty new at the whole buisness thing. Plan on having employees though
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for the advise. I have been an electrician in my area for a while before obtaining my license so I've managed to make a lot of contacts so things are picking up fast. This is pretty much my second week so still rough on filing and records. A friend had mentioned quick books so that's my next step along with finding some funding for some bigger jobs
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,006

Yes, Quickbooks is your friend. It also doesn't hurt to have a tax professional/accountant look at your financials at some point and advise you on deductions, payments, etc. so you don't miss anything.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigV For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 182

Set your goals high and expectations low. NEVER lie or short change the customer. If you screw up- fix it & eat it. Don't go buy personal items after your first big job--- INVEST back into your business. Expect 10 'No Thanks" for every 1 "you're hired". Stay positive- it's a dog eat dog world out there.
And to concur with previous posters.. get insurance and a dang good honest cpa... Incorrect bookkeeping and taxes will kill you the first year. Lastly, be humble- ask for advice (financial, electrical, etc) There are great people out there that WANT to see you succeed and will give you good advice--- learn from the "big-dogs"... they are on top for a reason-- follow the leader .
Best of Luck!!!!
LBC Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LBC Jesse For This Useful Post:
zamaral (04-28-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #14

Hey everyone was just called about a job involving turning power back on in a old grocery store. The store has been closed for a couple years. The previous owners turned off all breakers and went nuts with a sawzaw cutting all power to refridgeration units and registers so there's basically wires everywhere. Capping off old wires in j boxes and making safe is not my issue. My question is how to do I do the job without being responcible for the whole building. I'm a new electrical contractor have only been licensed a month. PLEASE HELP lol thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamaral View Post
Hey everyone was just called about a job involving turning power back on in an old grocery store. The store has been closed for a couple of years. The previous owners turned off all breakers and went nuts with a sawzaw cutting all power to refrigeration units and registers so there's basically wires everywhere. Capping off old wires in j boxes and making safe is not my issue. My question is how to do I do the job without being responsible for the whole building. I'm a new electrical contractor have only been licensed a month. PLEASE HELP lol thanks
First of all you need to price out this job from start to finish and you need to come up with a grand total price for the customer and get a large enough down payment that will pay for all the stock.

Also Do not take on a job that you cannot afford to pay for your self and still survive.

This one you are going for bankruptcy right off the bat.

Unless you have a huge amount off cash on hand I would walk away from that one.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote