New service question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RePhase277
  • 1 Post By hardworkingstiff

Old 12-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 536
Default New service question

Am building a new service wherre the AIC is 31,000. I need (3) 200 amp disconnects for this. I usually use breakers, but is there an economical breaker for this AIC or do I need to go to a fusible disconnect?
John M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
Am building a new service wherre the AIC is 31,000. I need (3) 200 amp disconnects for this. I usually use breakers, but is there an economical breaker for this AIC or do I need to go to a fusible disconnect?
AIC is a rating for a breaker or fuse, not the actual current... just a minor nit.

So where is this 31000 amps available? At the transformer? What is the wiring method between the transformer and disconnects? Copper, aluminum, PVC, rigid, overhead, single phase, three phase, 208, 480, etc?
hardworkingstiff likes this.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,714

I haven't priced anything in ages, but if you are using 3 panels with mains, probably a series rated panel with a fusible main would be the least expensive (at least it used to be that way).

If you have a single disconnect for the whole service, past pricing for me would be a fused disconnect over a breaker.

All that being said, I'd try to upsell the breaker install if you find the correct one.
chicken steve likes this.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
I haven't priced anything in ages, but if you are using 3 panels with mains, probably a series rated panel with a fusible main would be the least expensive (at least it used to be that way).

If you have a single disconnect for the whole service, past pricing for me would be a fused disconnect over a breaker.

All that being said, I'd try to upsell the breaker install if you find the correct one.

The RK fuses have the highest AIC for the $$$

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
For that high of AIC typically RK fuse useally do it for pricewise vs the high AIC rated breakers are.

but the actual numbers will varies a bit depending on distance and type of conductor and type of transfomer so the number can be reduced somehow

in this case you may need a EE to stamp the correct info before you get too far with the OCPD AIC rating. that the inspectors may want to see that details. so be prepared for that.