New Simplisafe Camera / Doorbell won't work. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By 3DDesign

Old 12-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 634
Default New Simplisafe Camera / Doorbell won't work.

I have been to the Simplisafe forum which is of no use. I have talked to Simplisafe tech support which was the most ridiculous conversation ever.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what is wrong.

I of course have measured 27 VAC at button from my bell transformer that goes into the mechanical Westminster chimes, NOT DIGITAL. (tech support kept telling me I had digital chimes.)

I remove my old doorbell button without LED, and wired the new camera button. As soon as I slip it on the wired base it starts ringing the bell constantly.

I read about other peoples' "fixes" using 10 Ohm resistors, Diodes, etc. I tried some of these in desperation and nothing works.

So I'm thinking to myself, Self, why not a relay? Only one major issue, I can't run a separate power. It has to be a single AC power source. Rectified to run the coil then AC power across N/O and COM.

Trying to find a bridge rectifier and relay in my scrap pile now. Maybe?

LARMGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,234

Where did you put the resistor or diode, I read on a forum to put 10 ohm resister AT the chime location and it stopped the guys constant ringing.
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,758

SimpliSafe = consumer grade junk. Thankfully ADI carries all major security brands now at wholesale prices, so no need to buy that trash.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
Where did you put the resistor or diode, I read on a forum to put 10 ohm resister AT the chime location and it stopped the guys constant ringing.
I tried a 10, 100 and 1K . The 10 and 100 acted like a direct short.
the 1K didn't short it and it didn't fix the issue. I read the same forum. He said he put the resistor across the terminals in parallel with the button wires coming in. It tried them at the button too. I tried a diode the same.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Try a 16 volt transformer in place of the 24. You are maybe overdriving the circuit board
sbrn33 likes this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
SimpliSafe = consumer grade junk. Thankfully ADI carries all major security brands now at wholesale prices, so no need to buy that trash.
Wife ain't happy ain't nobody happy. That was the main reasoning behind the purchase of the system. I already had a Vista 50 with wireless transmitters installed. No... she wants a video doorbell with the system not as a separate item.

Don't judge me

Old 12-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Try a 16 volt transformer in place of the 24. You are maybe overdriving the circuit board
I had the original 16 VAC replaced with a 24VAC because I was told there wasn't enough power (voltage according to tech support) for the video, PIR, the chimes and the LED. It measured 19 VAC at the button and chimes.

Last edited by LARMGUY; 12-30-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
I had the original 16 VAC replaced with a 24VAC because I was told there wasn't enough power for the video, PIR, the chimes and the LED. It measured 19 VAC at the button and chimes.
Having enough power doesn't mean increasing the voltage, it means increasing the VA of the transformer.
Purchase a 16V, 30 VA transformer.
If this is an old school, Nutone Westminster Chime, It had a diode installed.
The instructions showed it installed across the button. I never did that, I found it easier to install the diode at the chime.
brian john likes this.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Conservitum Americum

Poor choice of words. Tech support said 24 volts.

They also talked about a "chime connector" in the forums but this is where it gets confusing. The forums say it's for vintage solenoid types. Tech support said for digital.

Last edited by LARMGUY; 12-30-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #10

24 Volts, what is the VA
A normal doorbell transformer is 16V, 10 VA.
Replacing it with a 16V, 30 VA is usually required to run the chime and camera.
Bird dog (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

Without the Diode, a Westminster Chime would play one or two notes, not five or seven. A missing Diode would not cause it to play constantly. That is, of course, in the original setup.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDesign View Post
24 Volts, what is the VA
A normal doorbell transformer is 16V, 10 VA.
Replacing it with a 16V, 30 VA is usually required to run the chime and camera.
It's a 20 VA. I'll get a 30 tomorrow.

Last edited by LARMGUY; 12-30-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,203

Make a small diode rectifier to drive the coil if you want to do the relay
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 26,196

This is not a DIY site.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote