Newbie from Vancouver BC needs info regarding apprenticeship - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Newbie from Vancouver BC needs info regarding apprenticeship

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and am looking for info.... I'm working towards becoming an Electrician. So I've done my research which led me to getting pre-requisites together so I can get into the Electrical Joint Training Commitee's Entry-level trades training course. For those who don't know it's an Electrical Pre-apprenticeship course that this (Ibew 213 affiliated) Union school offers. I had also applied to BCIT's Electrical Foundation Program. Basically I had the goal of getting into the Union schol (***C), but having BCIT as a backup (which has a two year waitlist as of 2 weeks ago).

So right now I'm half way through the last pre-requisite which I needed to get in order to apply for the Union school, but I'm really wondering about what job futures are going to be like in this trade particularly for Union Electricians and apprentices in Vancouver BC.

I'm looking for feedback from people who are Union and non-union Journeyman and apprentices who are from the Vancouver lower-mainland area (BC). Is there are alot of people from both union/non-union on the bench right now?

Plus another reason I'm posting this is to find out if there are companies "these days" here in Vancouver BC that would hire someone with no electrical experience and train to eventually sponsor them for an apprenticeship, as opposed to taking a pre-apprenticeship course to get into the trade. If there are such companies please do list them

Although I'm very close to finishing my pre-requisites, I'm getting frustrated with how long things are taking and want to get the ball rolling faster, not to mention tuition for a foundation program and the time off to study when I could possibly work in an entry-level position and get sponsored for an apprenticeship off the bat.

Please any info will be greatly appreciated, and the more the merrier!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Term 2 Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

The advantage of the union school is that you get PAID work experience for 10 weeks after you complete your classwork and tests. You also get preferred placement as an apprentice in the union.

The disadvantage of the union school is the cost: $5,0000. But, if you wait two years for BCIT, you would be a third term apprentice by then making almost 20 bucks an hour. So you would be losing two years of apprenticeship and two years of paid work.

BCIT and the ***C program both have good reputations. Either school will give you a good start. But the ***C program is better in my opinion because:
1) Shorter wait list
2) Paid work experience
3) Better chance of getting job when your work experience is done

The company I work for does promote from within. Some drivers have been offered apprenticeships after they show they are good workers. It is a union company. But there aren't a lot of driver jobs so you have a much better chance of getting started by going through school first.

I have a diploma in electronics engineering, experience in working in electronics, and have taken a lot of part-time upgrade courses in electronics. I applied to 12 companies and not one replied to me (in 2009). The only way I could get started in the trade was through the IBEW school.

Many of the guys I know got started through a family contact in the trade, both union and non-union. They worked for their dad's company or their dad was an electrician and got them a job somewhere. One guy's mom pulled strings to get him hired at one of the larger companies. Having a family member who can help you get started is a huge advantage.

Without knowing someone, it is very hard to find a job in Vancouver. Even if you see a job posted, it will usually go to a friend of someone at the company or a friend of a friend. This is not just in the trades. It is actually much worse outside the trades, especially in office environments. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes it very difficult to break into new fields of work.

The work situation in Vancouver is very tight right now for union and non-union electricians. The company I work for has laid off a lot of people and is much smaller than it was in 2008. We do almost entirely commercial buildings.

There are hundreds of journeymen and apprentices out of work. I don't know what the work situation will be in the near future, but my guess is that it will be tough for the next few years in Vancouver. Be prepared to bust your ass and never give your employer a reason to get rid of you.

Personally, I love working as an electrician and I love the company I am working for. It has all been worth it. There are some great opportunities in the trades so don't let the current situation keep you from giving it a shot. Good luck!
RyanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to this site and am looking for info.... I'm working towards becoming an Electrician. So I've done my research which led me to getting pre-requisites together so I can get into the Electrical Joint Training Commitee's Entry-level trades training course. For those who don't know it's an Electrical Pre-apprenticeship course that this (Ibew 213 affiliated) Union school offers. I had also applied to BCIT's Electrical Foundation Program. Basically I had the goal of getting into the Union schol (***C), but having BCIT as a backup (which has a two year waitlist as of 2 weeks ago).

So right now I'm half way through the last pre-requisite which I needed to get in order to apply for the Union school, but I'm really wondering about what job futures are going to be like in this trade particularly for Union Electricians and apprentices in Vancouver BC.

I'm looking for feedback from people who are Union and non-union Journeyman and apprentices who are from the Vancouver lower-mainland area (BC). Is there are alot of people from both union/non-union on the bench right now?

Plus another reason I'm posting this is to find out if there are companies "these days" here in Vancouver BC that would hire someone with no electrical experience and train to eventually sponsor them for an apprenticeship, as opposed to taking a pre-apprenticeship course to get into the trade. If there are such companies please do list them

Although I'm very close to finishing my pre-requisites, I'm getting frustrated with how long things are taking and want to get the ball rolling faster, not to mention tuition for a foundation program and the time off to study when I could possibly work in an entry-level position and get sponsored for an apprenticeship off the bat.

Please any info will be greatly appreciated, and the more the merrier!
Welcome to the forum
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
The advantage of the union school is that you get PAID work experience for 10 weeks after you complete your classwork and tests. You also get preferred placement as an apprentice in the union.

The disadvantage of the union school is the cost: $5,0000. But, if you wait two years for BCIT, you would be a third term apprentice by then making almost 20 bucks an hour. So you would be losing two years of apprenticeship and two years of paid work.

BCIT and the ***C program both have good reputations. Either school will give you a good start. But the ***C program is better in my opinion because:
1) Shorter wait list
2) Paid work experience
3) Better chance of getting job when your work experience is done

The company I work for does promote from within. Some drivers have been offered apprenticeships after they show they are good workers. It is a union company. But there aren't a lot of driver jobs so you have a much better chance of getting started by going through school first.

I have a diploma in electronics engineering, experience in working in electronics, and have taken a lot of part-time upgrade courses in electronics. I applied to 12 companies and not one replied to me (in 2009). The only way I could get started in the trade was through the IBEW school.

Many of the guys I know got started through a family contact in the trade, both union and non-union. They worked for their dad's company or their dad was an electrician and got them a job somewhere. One guy's mom pulled strings to get him hired at one of the larger companies. Having a family member who can help you get started is a huge advantage.

Without knowing someone, it is very hard to find a job in Vancouver. Even if you see a job posted, it will usually go to a friend of someone at the company or a friend of a friend. This is not just in the trades. It is actually much worse outside the trades, especially in office environments. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes it very difficult to break into new fields of work.

The work situation in Vancouver is very tight right now for union and non-union electricians. The company I work for has laid off a lot of people and is much smaller than it was in 2008. We do almost entirely commercial buildings.

There are hundreds of journeymen and apprentices out of work. I don't know what the work situation will be in the near future, but my guess is that it will be tough for the next few years in Vancouver. Be prepared to bust your ass and never give your employer a reason to get rid of you.

Personally, I love working as an electrician and I love the company I am working for. It has all been worth it. There are some great opportunities in the trades so don't let the current situation keep you from giving it a shot. Good luck!
Hey Ryan,

thanks alot for the info, you've definitely given me alot of valid points regarding the union.

Out of curiosity when you say there is a shorter waitlist for the ***C, was there a waitlist when you applied? I was under the impression that its first come first served (provided they accept you into the program).

Right now I've completed 2 out of the 3 pre-requisites and am plugging away at the third, once thats done I'll put in the application and take it from there. Hopefully things work out because i'm sick and tired of working in dead end jobs and want to get started in the trade as soon as possible.

Thank you for the feedback and the best of luck in your career.

Biggie
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

Hey Biggie,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Is there really a two year wait list for BCIT? Sounds like the Union program would be a better way to go, provided you can afford it.

What test are you going to write on June 23rd? Did you get that offered to you when they saw your transcript?
elecnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

I got two posts mixed up, June 23rd was on someone else's post. Looks like alot of people are going for IBEW apprenticeships....
elecnoob is offline   Reply With Quote