NJ electrical license - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,062
Default NJ electrical license

Question for any newly licensed contractors. How long did it take the board to approve your application? They've had my app for almost 2 months and haven't even cashed my check yet !!!
ElectricJoeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,108

I drove up to Newark to make sure everything was in order. Wasted a day but got everything done. I think the you need to talk to a Kathleen
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Master One

Rewards Points: 150

You must research to see when the board is meeting. They must be a meeting in order for them to review your paperwork.
vinroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

They had a board meeting 3 weeks after I sent in paperwork.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

Must be patient believe me I know it took almost 8 months for me to get my number. There is a little story behind the reasoning for that in my case which actually changed the way NJ files the paper work now. To make a long story short I failed 2 parts the first time and you are suppose to wait 6 months before retaking test but NJ sent me out the paper work to fill out to retake the test so I filled it out and sent it in and ended up taking the test 3 months later and passed. After a few months they realized I took the test early and said I should of known and should not of taken it and they had to bring my case to the board to see what they were going to do. When it was all said and done they let me keep my license but made me wait to get my number.
Gamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Mad Skills

Rewards Points: 2,050

I tested in July and by August I was up and running...this was also in 1993 before the interweb and computers being so prevalent.

The Board just met on Wednesday: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ele...c_meetings.htm

They scaled down the amount of info in the minutes....they used to list all the new licensees, name changes, etc.

Maybe a licensee search will help?
https://newjersey.mylicense.com/verification/

....seems my "Qlfd. Journeyman Electrician" card is "not active"
Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

When I passed the exam, July '09, it took 3 months to go from passing the exam to open for business. The exam is given 4 times a year and the next exam I believe is in July. If you sent in your paperwork 2 months ago it's possible you'll be sitting in for the net exam. Make sure you study hard and definitely know your grounding and bonding because they put you through the ringer with that. Plus the business and alarm exams. Good luck.
ElectricJoeNJ (07-17-2012), HARRY304E (05-05-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Well. The state finally cashed my 100$ check and I know they had a meeting last week. I just checked the licensee search page and I'm listed now as pending. Guess thats a good thing?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
Mad Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
Well. The state finally cashed my 100$ check and I know they had a meeting last week. I just checked the licensee search page and I'm listed now as pending. Guess thats a good thing?
PENDING is way better than REJECTED
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 256

Here in NY the town of Hempstead was the same way, it took some time. Once they confirmed I had passed practical it was some time before i received the license as they wanted additional insured on comp and liability. They were extremely helpfull and worked with me. I can't say it went as smooth for my other licenses as far as paper work is concerned.
123electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
NJ-IEC

Quote:
You'll be get noticed by mail. Then you can send another check to the testing agency after that. Just get used to it.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

Got my approval. Will be taking the October 1st test.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
Mad Skills

Quote:
Good luck
ElectricJoeNJ (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
NJ-IEC

Yes, definitely.... good luck!

Don't wait, start studying now. 3-4 hours a night, 4-5 days a week. Get the Mike Holt Exam prep book. That helped me for sure.
ElectricJoeNJ (07-17-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #15

Ok. Few more questions. Did anyone here take a code prep class? And was it worth it? If you didn't, what did you specifically study in the code? How much and for how long did you study?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ
Ok. Few more questions. Did anyone here take a code prep class? And was it worth it? If you didn't, what did you specifically study in the code? How much and for how long did you study?
I didn't take one, i got Mike Holt's DVD set with work book, and two other exam workbooks and basically studied on my own for about 3 months, a little each day and on the weekends. Don't wait until the end. I probably over did it, but i really didn't want to take it twice...
Mike Holt's set was good but he didn't cover everything on NJ test. That's where the other two test books came in. Two weeks before the test i looked through the alarm book and two nights before the test i read the business law book.
Good luck...
Oh and they won't let you bring in your own books.
ElectricJoeNJ (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
I just got my approval today Tontake the test Oct 1st as welland I sent my application in March...ridiculous. I took an exam prep class and I feel like it has told me where to focus.

It wasn't one of those classes where the feed you the questions, I'd rather learn where to focus my efforts and do the work myself. Plus, I hear they changed the exam on the last go around.
NJWVUGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
NJ-IEC

There are 4 different versions of the exam. They each contain the same questions but are numbered differently so there's no cheating from the person sitting next to you.

Good exam prep course here: http://www.alanchech.com/

Well worth the $600+ dollars IMO.
ElectricJoeNJ (07-19-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ
And do yourself a big favor, if you dont live close to the test center stay in the hotel overnight so you can wake up relaxed, and just walk downstairs and go to work. Maybe get some breakfast before you go in...
ElectricJoeNJ (07-19-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica
There are 4 different versions of the exam. They each contain the same questions but are numbered differently so there's no cheating from the person sitting next to you.

Good exam prep course here: http://www.alanchech.com/

Well worth the $600+ dollars IMO.
Ron, That's the one I was looking at, just wasn't sure if it was with $675 if I could study on my own and buy some study guides.