Nube Question - Can I Direct Wire LED Type A Bulbs? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree21Likes
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Nube Question - Can I Direct Wire LED Type A Bulbs?

Hey All! Just purchased a box of 16 Utilitech 32w direct replacement LED T8 tubes, model #T81636F16-40 only to discover they aren't compatible with my old ballasts.

So my question for the pros is, can I direct wire these tubes and bypass the ballast? I'm also not certain if these are dual or single ended, so any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time!

Mo from SD
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,829

What did your electrician say to do?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

He wasn't familiar with it, so I thought I'd ask some of you! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

What do the instructions say?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

The instructions didn't mention direct wiring, however was curious if there was another safe option. Just looking for some insight on it, thank you.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,206

I think you should return the lamps you bought and hire an electrician because you obviously have no clue what you are doing.
The way to make the lamps work is easy but its far cheaper and less time consuming to buy new LED fixtures in your case
Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonPedro View Post
I think you should return the lamps you bought and hire an electrician because you obviously have no clue what you are doing.
Yup. This is very true. It took me under a minute to lookup those lamps and see that they will not work with a direct 120V feed. They need a functioning electronic ballast to work. The fact that he can't figure that out shows that he should not be doing this. There are too many other little things that can pop up and he can accidentally do wrong without knowing it that could lead to someone getting hurt.
bostonPedro likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

bostonPedro, thanks for your professional opinion. I'm no electrician and yep, humbly admit that I don't have a clue of what to do. I am, however, capable of following some simple instructions and directions just like we all did when we asked for help at one time. Anyone else?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

Appreciate the concern guys, thank you!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,914

Just do it and see what happens.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motinez_Mardesto View Post
bostonPedro, thanks for your professional opinion. I'm no electrician and yep, humbly admit that I don't have a clue of what to do. I am, however, capable of following some simple instructions and directions just like we all did when we asked for help at one time. Anyone else?
You can't even follow the directions on this forum which specifically told you it was only for professional electrician and not for homeowners and DIYers.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (11-18-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #12

Whoops! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #13

My apologies for the inconvenience, thank you for clarification Gents. Back to Home Depot!
Old 11-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,761

Pro Tip: The ones at Wally World are dirt cheap and work with T8 & T12 ballasts.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,840

Quote:
My apologies for the inconvenience, thank you for clarification Gents. Back to Home Depot!
The guy in the orange apron will be able to accurately answer all your electrical related questions, and provide professional electrical advice
Awg-Dawg likes this.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,206

You don't follow instructions or directions otherwise you would not have bought the wrong lamps in the first place. Instead of just being humble and smart and returning them and then buying the proper lamps you choose to ignore your mistake. So because you bought the wrong lamps you now are looking to retrofit your old fixtures because that is what you have to do as you can not just direct feed them. That is just plain stupid and costly because LED fixtures are affordable and readily available.

Its like buying a can of stain by accident when you want to paint your woodwork so you then strip off all the old paint just because you are too stubborn to admit you should have bought paint ......ok extreme example but fitting

Last edited by bostonPedro; 11-17-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
The guy in the orange apron will be able to accurately answer all your electrical related questions, and provide professional electrical advice
Old 11-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 470

The title of this thread had me imagining somebody soldering wires onto Edison base bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
The title of this thread had me imagining somebody soldering wires onto Edison base bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Lol .... I didn't even notice that part !!
Old 11-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Are you sure Home Depot wants them?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread